Going to Tokyo/Visit Japan Web Site

Las Vegas Sailing

We used Visit Japan Web in March this year as we sailed Japan and South Korea in March/April.  I found the online process ok but long. Did receive our QR codes successfully which was to expedite our entry upon arrival in Japan.  However, arriving at Haneda Airport with our QR codes it was a long drawn out process as in our time of arrival at Haneda, we had to queue up three times to pass through three checkpoints all having to have our fingerprints taken/ checked, photo recognition and passports scanned.  For some reason, at our last checkpoint, one of our QR codes could not be read and luckily we had our back-up yellow Immigration cards (give by airline) completed, we handed that in and were waved pass.  Never experienced in all our many years of travel - we heard from other passengers on our cruise that arrived at Narita, it was very quick/straight forward.  Perhaps Haneda airport were having issues that night!  Also, one must present passports at each port of call to Japanese officials when disembarking (and sometimes embarking) for excursions. Travelling from Japan to South Korea and return to Japan was also a bit of nightmare as Japanese staff boarded the ship, we queued and same process - fingerprints, photo recognition, passports.  Pack your patience.  That said, we really enjoyed Japan, the people, culture etc.

• Like 1

When I was in Japan airport this month, immigration and custom process had expedited.
Now using automated gates to make your Japan entry smoother and quicker.

After passed through the body temperature scanning, you will self administered your passport scan; fingerprint and facial photo through automated gates.

[Reading your passport]
Open your IC passport at the facial photo page and placing it face down on the passport reader.
[Provide fingerprint]
Fingerprints your two index fingers on fingerprint scanning device.
[Provide a facial image]
The built-in camera will take a facial photo, Turn to the camera and stay still for a while until the photo has been taken.

After you have been authenticated, gate will open. Proceed to an immigration counter to scan your VJW QR code or paper forms submission. Will have temporary visitor sticker on your passport page if granted entrance to Japan. I was out KIX airport within 60 min after landing.

When we were in HND in April, the walk from the airplane to immigration and customs was long so be prepared for that alone.  We completed the online information through Japan Web, but as mentioned, we had the paper copy from the flight which is what we handed to the Japan officials.  We were through the entire process in about 15 minutes after the long walk there.  

6 hours ago, AKJonesy said:

When we were in HND in April, the walk from the airplane to immigration and customs was long so be prepared for that alone.  We completed the online information through Japan Web, but as mentioned, we had the paper copy from the flight which is what we handed to the Japan officials.  We were through the entire process in about 15 minutes after the long walk there.  

I used the self administered automated gate then immigration was under 5 min. No more fingerprints and facial photo at the immigration counter which speed up the clearance process especially for the upcoming Expo 2025. 

On 9/25/2024 at 10:18 AM, monkey@cruise said:

When I was in Japan airport this month, immigration and custom process had expedited.
Now using automated gates to make your Japan entry smoother and quicker.

After passed through the body temperature scanning, you will self administered your passport scan; fingerprint and facial photo through automated gates.

[Reading your passport]
Open your IC passport at the facial photo page and placing it face down on the passport reader.
[Provide fingerprint]
Fingerprints your two index fingers on fingerprint scanning device.
[Provide a facial image]
The built-in camera will take a facial photo, Turn to the camera and stay still for a while until the photo has been taken.

After you have been authenticated, gate will open. Proceed to an immigration counter to scan your VJW QR code or paper forms submission. Will have temporary visitor sticker on your passport page if granted entrance to Japan. I was out KIX airport within 60 min after landing.

You mention this new automated gates at KIX, do you know if HND or NRT have them installed yet? Thanks. 

3 minutes ago, WESTEAST said:

You mention this new automated gates at KIX, do you know if HND or NRT have them installed yet? Thanks. 

○ Narita Airport - Terminal 1 and Terminal 2

○ Haneda Airport.

○ Chubu Airport.

○ Kansai Airport.

1 hour ago, foodsvcmgr said:

What is the procedure like for arriving in Japan by ship from a transpacific crossing, then flying back to the U.S.?

Will clear Japan immigration and customs at first port of call, either onboard or inside a cruise terminal. Visit Japan Web only for arrivals in airport, ship will distribute paper declaration forms and assign clearance appointment time. Depend on ship size, whole clearance process may takes between 3 to 4 hours. 

9 hours ago, foodsvcmgr said:

What is the procedure like for arriving in Japan by ship from a transpacific crossing, then flying back to the U.S.?

I just did this last month on a Vancouver to Yokohama sailing on Seabourn Odyssey with 400 pax. Our first port was Kushiro and the immigration officers came onboard. All the preliminary paperwork was done by Seabourn with customs cards sent to our room. We checked it and indicated the usual food stuff, money etc. We had to bring that and our passport to be checked. 

We were supposed to be called by deck but quite a few entitled types on lower decks went early and weren't turned away so it took a long time for our deck to be called even though it was a higher deck. I mention this because we couldn't understand why the decks above us were called and then we waited for well about 1.5 hours for our call. The whole process took just over 2 hours. 

Apparently there was a tech glitch initially setting up the equipment, then one officer was very thorough and slow so he would do one person where the other guy would do two or three. Thankfully they finally sent another officer to speed things up.

In summary, pack patience.

16 hours ago, frantic36 said:

We were supposed to be called by deck but quite a few entitled types on lower decks went early and weren't turned away so it took a long time for our deck to be called even though it was a higher deck. I mention this because we couldn't understand why the decks above us were called and then we waited for well about 1.5 hours for our call. The whole process took just over 2 hours. 

Priority for those who have booked excursion and cabin types.

400 pax took 2 hours, is a snail process. I was on a 2000 pax ship, only took 3 hrs at Hakodate cruise terminal.

6 hours ago, monkey@cruise said:

Priority for those who have booked excursion and cabin types.

400 pax took 2 hours, is a snail process. I was on a 2000 pax ship, only took 3 hrs at Hakodate cruise terminal.

Priority for cabin type isn't a thing on Seabourn. We were there a day early as we had to get a sick passenger to hospital so the crossing took 5 days instead of 6. So no excursions were organised that day.

The officials did know we were coming in early as the Captain announced in the morning of the day before they were waiting to see if Japan immigration could be done a day earlier. Then in the afternoon it was confirmed they would. Whether this contributed to the slow processing I'm not sure.