Breakaway - self-service laundry?

micahd

Nothing free. About half way through you’ll get a discounted bag of laundry (as much as you can fit in the bag). The bags in the Haven are larger and a nylon like material, so they don’t rip. The non Haven rooms get a smaller paper laundry bag. In July, the discount was about $35 for a bag.

Many years ago when the 'Jewel' class was introduced NCL had 6-8 self-service laundry rooms on the Jewel class ships.  Two per deck, port & starboard, on the upper pax decks.  All you had to pay for was laundry soap which you could buy at pax services.  This lasted about 3-4 years until NCL simply turned these back into pax cabins.  I asked the Hotel Manager on Gem why & he said they simply went unused.  I think this is why folks think NCL offers free laundry; they did at one time.

If you're Platinum or higher you each get one free bag of laundry per cruise or 1 per 7 day period on longer cruises.  Otherwise wait till they off the one-bag-for-$35 promo.  Suggestion; re-fold your dirty laundry as tightly as possible; you'll fit a LOT more per bag!

The reason for no launderettes I’ve always heard was the fire risk.   I think if you look at ship fires in recent years you’ll see a large number originate in the laundry.  Not necessarily the small launderettes, which are still available on Carnival and Princes ship. I seldom use my laundry benefit as they’ve faded and shrunk some of my clothes in the past, but I will use them if I have  jeans or something heavy.  I have a set of cruise clothes, collected over the years for being wrinkle resistant and quick drying and I wash those in the sink as needed.  

The fire risk may be because nobody is assigned to attend to clearing out the lint traps on the dryers.  Causes fires in hotels too because customers don't do it and apparently it is "nobody's" on staff's responsibility so the lint builds up indefinitely and becomes a fire risk.