Getting Princess to tell you how much FCC or reimbursement you'll get after covid isolation?

Kitty Ellas Mom

I'm making a claim through Princess Standard insurance for a cruise I went on a year ago (Sept 2023).  (I know I've taken a long time to do this but life has been chaotic this past year.) I was isolated for covid (diagnosed through the medical personnel, and I have all the documentation of medical and isolation).  Isolation was 4 days if you count in groups of 24 hrs, or 5 days if you count partial days as whole--I don't know how it works.  

Medical reimbursement is straightforward, and I've already submitted to my own normal medical insurance as well, as AON told me to.

But then there's the issue of getting some sort of compensation for being isolated, which at the time I understood would happen.  I don't know if that is still going on for covid but at the time it was.

I thought I could just make a claim through AON, which is what I did before when I had a death in the family and was completely unable to go on a prior planned cruise.  It never occurred to me to claim through Princess, because I had insurance. But today when I asked AON how much money I should ask for (or if I should leave that blank for them to figure out) the told me to contact Princess.  So I chatted with Princess and they had me fill out the very basic form for getting reimbursed, but it was set up for things like if you miss your flight--things where you already know the monetary amount.

It wouldn't even let me upload most of the things I wanted to upload.  I was only able to explain my case in a short line of text.  Then I got an automated message saying Princess would get back to me in 4 to 6 weeks.

So....do I just wait around and see what Princess says?  The AON rep I talked to said to wait for Princess' answer.  But I think that maybe I should submit everything else I have to AON for now, and just leave the monetary amount blank? I just really don't want to mess this up, but I also don't want to wait 6 weeks to finish the AON claim.

This is so convoluted compared to my travel claim the last time.  I could guess at the numbers but don't want to shortchange myself if I guess too low.  I also don't know if Princess will do FCC or if AON will be able to refund me, which I would definitely prefer.  Thank you for any advice.  I mostly want to know if I'd be remiss to simply wait around for Princess to respond to my online form for 4 to 6 weeks.  I don't know if that's a standard amount of time to wait.

I had to look up my documents.  I guess I had to file my claim with AON for trip interruption.  It covered 2 nights (checked in around 5 PM one night, another night, and checked out after breakfast).

Did you pay for your copy of medical history ($28) that documented how many nights in isolation?  AON covered this payment.  My personal medical insurance covered entire cost of Med Center visit (Medicare denied).

My reimbursement for trip interruption was the daily cost of the cruise x number of days in isolation.  I had plus and that was factored into rate.

isolation.thumb.png.331bb5ef47fcc9093dfadfd18eacc4ac.png

AONtripinterruptionpayoutcopy.thumb.jpeg.cc9811b4fe49fe4e9ee71eafec1cab91.jpeg

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 2

Did you have to figure out for yourself how much money to claim for the 2 days of trip interruption?  If so, did you just divide your total cruise amount into # of nights and then add 2 nights to get the amount?  That's what I've thought about doing. Also then there's the port fees etc., not sure what happens there.....

I estimated my daily rate and didn't question reimbursement since it was rather close.  I have heard others say they received FCC.  I'd much prefer the cash in hand (direct deposit).

I did miss a port but hadn't considered that as a factor.  Maybe that was the difference in calculations?  I wasn't concerned since I would be revisiting the port on another cruise a couple of months later.

I am surprised AON told you to contact Princess instead of considering it "Trip Interruption".  It is difficult to "talk" to anyone at AON.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kitty Ellas Mom said:

There's no time limit for AON (at least not right now).  I used my medical insurance as the deadline.  I normally would have done this earlier, life has been awful.

I am so sorry to hear your year has been so rough.  I understand completely.  You made the correct choice to clear your medical with your insurance company first.  It will make filing with AON easier.  

• Like 1

I had Covid on my cruise this past August.  Without asking, guest services gave me a paper explaining I would get FCC for $xxx due to quarantine between x time and x time.  I didn't question the amount.  I did have trouble getting the FCC because it wasn't on the personalizer.  I ultimately (about 2 weeks after cruise) contacted Princess.  They had me send an email to customer relations which I did.  They called me back, that day!  Apologized and put the FCC onto my account.  Apparently the ship never did what they were supposed to do and that is why it was never there.

• Like 2