'Sensational savings for solo travelers'

Noggins

7 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

Oh! Thanks. I do not see myself as a solo traveler traveling to Ghana to take my ship or to debark there. Not easy from where I live.

Ivi

I share the sentiment, but I admit when I first read that I actually forgot how (relatively) convenient Tema is from where I live…. Sometimes I get tunnel vision around the places I either travel to more frequently, or at least plan travel to more frequently.  Even United flies nonstop from Washington Dulles to Accra, and it’s only a 10 hour flight (eastbound) from here.  I owe Ghana an apology for my bias, even though I’m not likely sailing from.there anytime soon. 😊 

Vince

6 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

I share the sentiment, but I admit when I first read that I actually forgot how (relatively) convenient Tema is from where I live…. Sometimes I get tunnel vision around the places I either travel to more frequently, or at least plan travel to more frequently.  Even United flies nonstop from Washington Dulles to Accra, and it’s only a 10 hour flight (eastbound) from here.  I owe Ghana an apology for my bias, even though I’m not likely sailing from.there anytime soon. 😊 

Vince

I have been in Ghana a couple of times because our ships have stopped there. For example on the World Cruise 2019 with the Serenity. It is for sure a nice country. But for me as a female solo cruiser is not an easy port to fly to and spend there some days before my cruise. 

Ivi

• Like 2

There are plenty of direct European flights to Accra (for Tema). British Airways flies direct from London.

It is a bit of an unusual start / stop point but I thought that was one of the attractions - something a bit different for once. And the 17 day cruise has a good run of sea days - always a plus!

However, to Ivi's point, Accra may not be ideal for a single traveller...

Adrian 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, travelberlin said:

I have been in Ghana a couple of times because our ships have stopped there. For example on the World Cruise 2019 with the Serenity. It is for sure a nice country. But for me as a female solo cruiser is not an easy port to fly to and spend there some days before my cruise. 

Ivi

100%!  For other reasons related to my orientation I don’t feel comfortable staying there pre-cruise (as with many other ports in the world unfortunately) so I can relate in a way, but I did owe them an apology for not thinking about how accessible it is for us from here in DC at least.

Vince

• Like 1

Seems like alot of lines are doing short notice repositioning cruises because of Middle East issues.  Ships are running empty.   We actually ended a Silversea expedition cruise in Tema and has a good few days post cruise at the Intercontinental Hotel in Accra. 

That Barcelona to Capetown is an attractive sea day cruise.

Judging by the 2026 scheduling changes on some lines who released early, they are redoing/cancelling schedules -- keeping ships in regions rather than transits through the Suez.

Crystal has not learned that lesson yet, as the 2026 cruise still has a Suez transit.  Not going to happen.  Shall we start the thread "why is Crystal late changing the WC ports in Middle East"

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Like 2