What is best way to text others while on the ship these days?

McFins

If everyone is an iPhone user, you can probably just connect to the ship's intranet wifi (not internet) and iMessage each other. There is a "hole" in the NCL which allow iMessage text messages to go through. NCL has fixed this a few times over the years, but then un-fix it with new releases of their software. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

If everyone is an iPhone user, you can probably just connect to the ship's intranet wifi (not internet) and iMessage each other. There is a "hole" in the NCL which allow iMessage text messages to go through. NCL has fixed this a few times over the years, but then un-fix it with new releases of their software. 

Okay thanks. I thought the hole was fixed.  

On Viva last week, when you are given the WiFi login details don’t input your DOB/Surname there is a button bottom right that says “free websites”. Once you click that it logs you into a free login for selected sites and then allows iMessage in the background. 

not sure if this is a NCL new thing or just on Viva. Previously when logged into your account using DOB/Surname you could have internet access off and save your minutes but still use the app/imessage. This might have been the new fix by NCL but it’s definitely still possible.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BJ223 said:

On Viva last week, when you are given the WiFi login details don’t input your DOB/Surname there is a button bottom right that says “free websites”. Once you click that it logs you into a free login for selected sites and then allows iMessage in the background. 

not sure if this is a NCL new thing or just on Viva. Previously when logged into your account using DOB/Surname you could have internet access off and save your minutes but still use the app/imessage. This might have been the new fix by NCL but it’s definitely still possible.  

Thanks!   I’ll be sure to try it. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, McFins said:

Okay thanks. I thought the hole was fixed.  

I suspect people mistakenly thought so because it takes a little bit more than just connecting to the wi-fi now. As described by @BJ223

I am on Star right now so it's not just Viva. If not ship wide already I suspect it will be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BJ223 said:

FWIW I have put in my DOB and so on and sometimes go to Free Websites and sometimes log in to my minutes. It's not as straightforward as it used to be though and I don't like the new look/way. But I guess I have to learn to live with it anyway. 🤔

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Asawi said:

I suspect people mistakenly thought so because it takes a little bit more than just connecting to the wi-fi now. As described by @BJ223

I am on Star right now so it's not just Viva. If not ship wide already I suspect it will be.

Does the Star have Starlink, and how's the internet speed?  We're be on the Star in Dec.

In the past, people could also send gmail emails, and the heading flashes in notifications.  My wife have read gmail emails that way, just not open gmail text and definitely not any pics or attachments.  That was another loophole without having to sign on and use your internet minutes.  But also heard it was fixed (and maybe unfixed)..

15 minutes ago, Middleager said:

Does the Star have Starlink, and how's the internet speed?  We're be on the Star in Dec.

In the past, people could also send gmail emails, and the heading flashes in notifications.  My wife have read gmail emails that way, just not open gmail text and definitely not any pics or attachments.  That was another loophole without having to sign on and use your internet minutes.  But also heard it was fixed (and maybe unfixed)..

The login page says Starlink. I have cell coverage ashore so I haven't used ship internet much. It seems ok what little I have used. My main phone is Android if that matters.

On the  little iPhone I use to iMessage with a couple of people I still get those Gmail notifications. I haven't looked into them though. 

• Like 1

Last time we tried the in-app messaging, it sent messages okay but we couln't get any notification (bell, tone etc.)  Does the new app do that/

Edited by DwayneG
typo