Nautica Terrace Cafe

harlor

Can anyone tell us about the Terrace Cafe dinner buffet on the Nautica?  We normally travel on the Riviera or Marina, where we can get lobster tails or rack of lamb in the Grill area of the Terrace Cafe. Are these also available in Nautica's Terrace Cafe?

Thank you!

Loretta

13 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

All were available on Regatta.  Just loved the lamb chops, shrimp and lobster tails, all cooked to one's preference.  They did not run out!

We seldom ate in the dining room just because of what you said!

Loretta

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

People keep offering some concoction  called mint jelly.....eek

Mint jelly is a traditional accompaniment for lamb, as is mint sauce. But it's a horrible thing, IMO. Much too sweet - almost like jam. Whereas  the malt vinegar in the sauce contrasts nicely with the "sweetness" of the lamb, cutting through any fattiness. 

I remember, as a child, my first task helping my mother in the kitchen was to go and collect the mint (Dad used to have a patch in a shady area of the garden), then chop it and mix with sugar and vinegar. 

I've had the lamb chops for dinner on each of our three cruises with O but found them fairly underflavoured, in comparison with the lamb readily available at home. Must try and remember not to order them next trip. 

Edited by Harters

Yes, they do. Just back from 22 nights on Sirena in the Baltic. The grilling "master" and I became great dinner friends nightly in the TC. He'd hear my order--"2 lobster, 6 shrimp"--and then turn around smiling at me. His assistant taking the orders would see me and instantly say, "2 lobsters, 6 shrimp?" I'd smile and nod in the affirmative.

Do keep in mind that for the special Chef's meal, tied to local cuisine, there wouldn't be the usual grilling options, which are posted. IIRC, there was a fish of the day, too. You had to ask.

• Like 1

For lamb chop lovers, the chops are sliced very thin, which also affects the ( lack of) flavor. When I want lamb chops I go for the rack of lamb in the various other venues. The thicker cuts preserve the flavors and juices of the lamb far better than the thin cuts. Some obviously prefer otherwise. The thin slices work fine for breakfast with eggs, 

Okay, this is just my opinion, and I know not everyone will agree with me.  But I don't like standing in line like I'm in a fast-food restaurant to get my grilled food.  I think the lobster is just plain bad in TC.  It's rubbery and just not good.  I've tried it more than once and have never felt it was worth standing in line for.  The lamb chops are okay at best.  I think the steak and shrimp are good but if I want a steak, I can go to the dining room and have someone bring it to me.  

I'm not on vacation to woof down my food as fast as I can so I guess I don't mind spending an hour or maybe two for dinner in the dining room.  We've always had a pleasant experience and I really do like the fact that someone brings the food to me.  That's why I take a vacation.

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, iowananny said:

Okay, this is just my opinion, and I know not everyone will agree with me.  But I don't like standing in line like I'm in a fast-food restaurant to get my grilled food.  I think the lobster is just plain bad in TC.  It's rubbery and just not good.  I've tried it more than once and have never felt it was worth standing in line for.  The lamb chops are okay at best.  I think the steak and shrimp are good but if I want a steak, I can go to the dining room and have someone bring it to me.  

I'm not on vacation to woof down my food as fast as I can so I guess I don't mind spending an hour or maybe two for dinner in the dining room.  We've always had a pleasant experience and I really do like the fact that someone brings the food to me.  That's why I take a vacation.

100% agree with all of this, especially concerning the lobster.

51 minutes ago, iowananny said:

I'm not on vacation to woof down my food as fast as I can

We think of the TC as a place for lunch. And breakfast if we're short of time. But a buffet isnt really a place where we would generally enjoy dinner. Did have one dinner on last year's Nautica cruise, when it was nice to sit outside when we had a late departure from one port. And had another dinner this year when it was "Spanish night".  We'd much prefer to be enjoying a meal in the GDR

Edited by Harters
  • Like 2

We also find the TC fine or very good for lunch.  On our last cruise we went to the Baltic night there and it was awful.  But we've had several of their specialty international buffets that were quite good.  I think the one I remember the most was the Spanish Tapis night.  Oh, so good.

I do love lobster and find the lobster the night they have after the Captain's Party is pretty good in the dining room. They also have duck that night and my husband loves that.   Of course, I live in Iowa and we don't get a lot of good lobster here.  My son went to submarine school in Groton Conn. and then was stationed there.  When we went to visit, we would drive to Mystic and there was a restaurant which had damaged lobsters at a good price.  Yes, amputee lobsters still taste good, especially when they're fresh.   Fresh lobster is the best and I know you can't get it everywhere but get it when you can.

7 minutes ago, iowananny said:

I think the one I remember the most was the Spanish Tapis night.  Oh, so good.

We visit Spain at least once a year and enjoy the food. The TC did it very well - flavours were really accurate. The star of the show was the suckling pig - just as I've enjoyed it in Mallorca with delicious meat, sweet fat and thin crispy skin. Pretty much perfect lechona

1 hour ago, iowananny said:

I couldn't agree with you more.  I find the chaos at dinnertime in the TC to be off-putting.  Additionally, I enjoy eating in a more civilized manner -- with DH and I both having our food at the same time so that we can enjoy it together.  If we eat in the TC, inevitably one of us is through the buffet before the other and then sits waiting for the other to arrive at the table.  Either that, or the first person goes ahead and eats and is done or nearly so before the other arrives back at the table.  I'd rather dine with my companion.  And although O has a nice buffet as far as buffets go, it doesn't seem like the execution is done quite as nicely as the GDR which serves much of the same fare at dinner.  I'm really not there for "all-you-can-eat".  There's plenty of food without needing a buffet for that.  

• Like 4

One more question:

Since there are 2 specialty restaurants on the Nautica, as opposed to 4 on the Riviera, I've read that we may be able to get some of the offerings from Red Ginger and Jacques in the other dining venues on the Nautica. Right? 

Thanks again for all the help!

Loretta

17 hours ago, harlor said:
  • Thanks ORV! We sailed together in S. America this year.
  • Loretta

Did we meet? I met quite a few people on that cruise. Did you get a cold? Seems most of the ship had it. 

5 minutes ago, harlor said:

One more question:

Since there are 2 specialty restaurants on the Nautica, as opposed to 4 on the Riviera, I've read that we may be able to get some of the offerings from Red Ginger and Jacques in the other dining venues on the Nautica. Right? 

Loretta

Just recently off Nautica and they had two nights in a row featuring food from Red Ginger.  We really enjoyed it.  I don't remember a Jacques night, but there's always something of his available. 

13 minutes ago, harlor said:

One more question:

Loretta

As ORV stated, there will occasionally be nights in TC where dishes from Red Ginger are featured.  The GDR also has Jacques roasted chicken and a salmon dish on the "always available" part of the menu.  Sometimes you will find a dish or two that is from Red Ginger on the GDR menu as well.  None of these are done quite as well as what's prepared/served in RG or Jacques, though.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, harlor said:

I've read that we may be able to get some of the offerings from Red Ginger and Jacques in the other dining venues on the Nautica.

I don't recall it in Nautica's GDR last year. Maybe it was there and I just didnt take too much notice - RG is my least favourite speciality, so wouldnt have been ordering anything.

For those of us who try to stay off ship doing and seeing things in port, the beauty of the TC is that we can eat some fantastic food without having to worry about rushing back, showering & changing early, all to sit in some restaurant for 90-120 minutes. Or if the ship stays really late, you can get back at 1830, eat, and then go back out. Did that in Hamburg recently. Had to be back by 2230. Me and another woman were the last 2 back, at about 2225.

Time is not fungible. And when the ship leaves, you're out of there. So, yes, we're on vacation, too, and we want to see and do things. Not sit and eat.

3 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Hamburg actually has some very good food unique to Northern Germany and completely different from the Bavarian and Schwabish preparations. Can’t even imagine returning to the ship to eat aboard to then return to port. ...

When you do all the things we do and walk or take public transportation where we go, taking time and spending money to eat in a place like Hamburg, when we can eat nice food on the ship relatively quickly, makes all the sense in the world. But if you're rich and you want to sit and eat.... We've got places to go and things to see and do.

So... we had to get to a Russian diesel submarine, go to a concentration camp, visit the Beatlesplatz & the venue they played, see the Red Light District. go to the city hall, visit some famous churches, get to the warehouse district, etc. All in less than 16 hours!