On the Encore in the Med - through Oct 20

shark b8

Aloha and ahoy there, CC-ers!  We boarded the Encore yesterday and are sailing toward Cyprus, the first port in our 3-week cruise.  Cyprus is followed by two stops in Turkey, a bunch of Greek islands, Croatia, Montenegro, also with a day in Venice.

Before the long slog east on British Airways, we had a few days in L.A. (our old stomping grounds) to visit family.   Some might (or might not) be interested in a couple of highlights of our L.A. time, so for those who want Seabourn-cruise-ONLY posts, kindly skip ahead a bit.

• Like 5

Our first night, we took in the first of the three Dodger/Padres games.  Unfortunately the Dodgers lost, although they have won the Division and will advance to the second playoff round.  Not bad seats, eh?  And Ohtani is just a joy to watch, it’s conceivable he may end up being the best baseball player of all time.  And I particularly like when he approaches the plate - he acknowledges the umpire with eye contact and a small head bob, like a mini-version of a bow, respecting authority.   I came to the realization that - other than homes and workplaces, Dodger Stadium is the building in which I’ve spent the most time in my life.  Countless games, caught 7 foul balls (including two in one game).  Dodger Dogs with the homemade grilled peppers & onions I would bring along.  Mmmmm.  Can’t beat it.   (Although the game ended on my first-ever in-person triple play.  Which was…..weird)

IMG_3945.thumb.jpeg.8277fa3482b385b0a7048e63d6fa28ad.jpeg

IMG_3950.thumb.jpeg.994d1d70948d69e34f0a5adccb0ac5fa.jpeg

• Like 3

Next day, we scored a tour of SoFi stadium, where the Rams and Chargers play.  Quite an amazing place.  The giant video board can be seen from any seat in the house, either on its exterior or interior surface.

IMG_3927.thumb.jpeg.8f112e9bec996a6acda5ba1cdc7cae94.jpeg

IMG_1134.jpeg.a87356509287f09c7ee05a823fc51978.jpeg

• Like 1

I’ve been at war with airline-food for decades, since I went to the 30-year reunion of the Pittsburgh Pirates in 1990, and got *severe* food poisoning somewhere between Pittsburgh & DFW.  Ever since, I’ve brought my own.  Yes, I will bravely confront the howls of ridicule when I break out my Subway sandwich, made just the way I like it.  Anyway, point being, this time around I relented, and the food was quite good.  Beef carpaccio with truffles & roasted peppers & chopped courgette on a bed of creamy-cheesy something or other - probably the best thing I’ve ever had at 30,000+ feet.  The following slow-cooked lamb shoulder tasted like it came out of my smoker at home.

IMG_1127.thumb.jpeg.8cd3dadd9b2f77e61130b8ffd5743e1c.jpeg

• Like 5

Next flight, from London to Athens…..not so fun.  They advertise the first 10-12 rows as 2-and-2, as opposed to the 3-3 configuration further back.  One might think, surely more comfortable.  Wrong.  ALL rows are 3-3, they just put people in only the aisle and window seats in the front area.  Legroom nearly less than zero.

IMG_1141.jpeg.4dd8922fa4c7b91d0b421401f84f6efb.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Stayed two nights in Athens before embarkation - partly to take 24 hours to get over the non-sleep on the plane(s).  But the middle night we Ubered over to Zorbas Mikrolimano, a restaurant on a very charming bay, south of Athens.  Calamari to die for.  Highly recommended.  

IMG_4010.thumb.jpeg.84bbdce24481fdf0a1ad1d3574252b31.jpeg

IMG_4013.thumb.jpeg.808da011b19809cb5e0488bc14a1a95b.jpeg

• Like 5

So, enough of this irrelevant blather!  (Thanks for patience with all this nonsense). Howzabout the *ship*?!  

We were to sail at 5:00p.  I’m always perched on Sky Bar deck for sailaway, along whichever side is tied up.  Like to watch the mechanics - throwing off the lines, moving away, maybe watching the tugs and/or the pilot boat, etc.  5:00p came and went.  No movement.  5:15.  5:30.  5:45.  At a few minutes after 6:00p, I gave up and went back to the room.  (it was blowing a gale up there above the pool deck).  Did manage to see, once we finally got underway, that instead of the ship doing its own turn, we had a tug at the bow turning us, with one at the stern apparently overseeing.

• Like 3

As is their habit, Butch and Sundance (our critters at home) gifted us a nice bottle of Veuve Clicquot for the first night.  But champagne cried out for something else…what could it be?

Hello, old friend.  Have missed you.

IMG_1144.thumb.jpeg.3b1962ce8baabbb8aaf9f3bb325b714c.jpeg

• Like 9

I noticed on the Pursuit last time, that Keller chocolates were still being offered as a nighttime treat, left by room attendants - well after the Keller restaurants had changed over.  Now, there are new, non-Keller chocolates.  They’re………small.

IMG_4033.thumb.jpeg.13b8e575c28a1647e82a546506160d4d.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shark b8 said:

Next flight, from London to Athens…..not so fun.  They advertise the first 10-12 rows as 2-and-2, as opposed to the 3-3 configuration further back.  One might think, surely more comfortable.  Wrong.  ALL rows are 3-3, they just put people in only the aisle and window seats in the front area.  Legroom nearly less than zero.

IMG_1141.jpeg.4dd8922fa4c7b91d0b421401f84f6efb.jpeg

We've done this flight on BA and it was the same as you describe!

• Like 1

Club Europe (first class, hah!) on BA is a joke.  I thought I had read somewhere that they will be upgrading Club Europe to be more like the US domestic first class.  I hope so.  My husband is tall with long legs, and the current configuration is so uncomfortable for him.  On the other hand, BA's Club World (international business class) is very nice.  Come on BA - get with the program.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jjs217 said:

Club Europe (first class, hah!) on BA is a joke.  I thought I had read somewhere that they will be upgrading Club Europe to be more like the US domestic first class.  I hope so.  My husband is tall with long legs, and the current configuration is so uncomfortable for him.  On the other hand, BA's Club World (international business class) is very nice.  Come on BA - get with the program.

The seat config and leg room is ok for the short distance flown (unless you are very tall).  The food and service recently has been top notch.  A big improvement. However, I am no cheerleader. They cancelled my flight ease flight during the night before we were due to fly out for my last Seabourn cruise, giving me all sorts of headaches I didn’t need! 

Edited by galeforce9
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jjs217 said:

I will be interested to see if BA ever does upgrade CE. They reduced the legroom in order to add extra row/s around 10 years ago. Before the reduction the legroom was good but IMO the seats themselves were never as good as most US carriers' domestic first class, however it was comfortable enough for a flight below five hours duration. 

• Like 2

I have been in business class (the highest available class) on several European airlines- BA, Lufthansa, BrusselsAir, etc. They all had the same seat configuration. Same seats as coach with the middle seat empty or blocked off.

• Like 2

Dinner tonight at The Restaurant - miso cod.  I think we went down this road before on a previous CC cruise thread - big fan of this dish, going back to 90’s when it was all the rage.  If memory serves it was originally the brainchild of chef Nobu Matsuhisa, we went to his restaurant in NYC and (of all places) Las Vegas, and I certainly had it in his Malibu restaurant, back when I worked at Pepperdine University.  Takes a largely mediocre fish (that’s imho - Brits use it for fish and chips) and makes a spectacular success out of it.  This was really good - could have used more intense miso flavor, but I’ll take it.  (especially as compared with in-flight Subway sandwich. 🤷‍♂️)

IMG_4041.thumb.jpeg.d9ab1b6093e92bd94bbdc22dffde1c3e.jpeg

Edited by shark b8
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1