Fare rules for solo traveler adding a passenger after unknown "Complementary Upgrade"

Jen-Z

My travel partner and I have been sailing with MSC Cruises for nearly a decade, and we usually book at the same time.  But last time, he sailed solo and while onboard, he booked a solo  stateroom, paying supplement, for an inside stateroom (company selects the stateroom) on an upcoming repositioning cruise from Europe to South America.   Yesterday, we tried to add me to his reservation, and apparently the stateroom they initially chose was upgraded again, without his knowledge, to a balcony.  We were told that I would now have to pay the rate for joining him in a balcony stateroom, which was twice the price he paid.

It seems unfair,  like they want me pay for the upgrade that they gave him.    So now, he is traveling solo in a room that he did not request, I am staying home, and the company is losing revenue on us because women ALWAYS spend more money than men, at least that's the way it is with us.

Is there anybody that we can state our case to that might be able to help us?  To go on this journey with these terms would not be an enjoyable experience for me.

What exactly is your goal ?

Getting a balcony cabin for the price of an inside cabin ?

Maybe you could ask being downsized to an 2-pax inside cabin and pay less.

You said that your travel partner booked a solo stateroom. For my understanding a solo stateroom doesn’t accommodate 2 passengers. How did you wanted to be added to the solo reservation of your travel partner ?

Your travel partner has been upgraded to a balcony stateroom that is probably larger and in a better location and you are saying that he didn’t wanted this stateroom..

Posted (edited)

There is nothing unfair about it.

He booked under a guaranteed solo cabin rate and as so often happens, received a cabin in different category. The solo cabin assignment was made to him under the provisions of a guaranteed rate.

As a new passenger, you now wish to  select a more expensive cabin category under a different fare schedule and offering than what he booked under.

Of course one would be charged the current fare for the new booking.

Please read the readily available information on the MSC website regarding changes in reservations.

Edited by Homosassa
  • Like 3

Let me state my take on it.  I think he booked an inside gty cabin as a solo, not necessarily a solo cabin.  Paid solo supplement.  Was assigned a balcony.  Now wants to add the OP, but since supplement was not 100%, they want to charge an additional guest the full pp rate for a balcony, rather that the full double rate for the original inside.  EM

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

Let me state my take on it.  I think he booked an inside gty cabin as a solo, not necessarily a solo cabin.  Paid solo supplement.  Was assigned a balcony.  Now wants to add the OP, but since supplement was not 100%, they want to charge an additional guest the full pp rate for a balcony, rather that the full double rate for the original inside.  EM

OP's Post number 4 says "the company selects the stateroom."

In any case, as a new booking, the OP would pay the current fare for the cabin.

• Like 1

My question would be why did he book a solo state room if you normally travel together?  As far as it being unfair I disagree.  The booking is being changed and it is the price at the time of changing the booking that has to be paid not what you think should be paid.

• Like 2

Bummer for sure, but I also don't think it's unfair. I see a couple of potential options.

1.  Split the additional cost above what you both expected to pay with your travel partner.
2. Cancel and rebook.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

The best option is for the OP to attempt to book an inside guarantee solo, if available. They can share the balcony cabin once onboard, if they want to. Making any changes after booking is not a good idea with MSC.

My experience with having my travel agent just asking MSC the cost to add someone to a cabin originally booked solo did not go well. MSC said both passengers would need to pay the current rate, not just the person being added, so I said no, just keep it as is. MSC sent an invoice for over $ 500 stating that I made a change to my booking by just asking to check the cost of adding someone, and I had to pay the current rate.  Apparently their system re-prices to current rates whenever an agent opens the booking and saves it, even without making any changes. It took the travel agent 3 weeks to get them to honor my original price. 

Edited by JT1962
  • Thanks 1

It might be difficult to share the stateroom if the ship is not a ‘smart ship’ which offers bracelets as well as the card.  MSC does not issue extra cabin cards.  EM

On 10/6/2024 at 6:55 AM, Jen-Z said:

I am staying home, and the company is losing revenue on us because women ALWAYS spend more money than men, at least that's the way it is with us.

Is there anybody that we can state our case to that might be able to help us?  To go on this journey with these terms would not be an enjoyable experience for me.

Has no one else picked up on this little gem?  LOL!  Not in our household.  DH is the "let's do it" and I'm the "whoa, buddy, not if you'd like to retire someday" person.

If the OP admits to having an open pocketbook, then just pay the difference... or perhaps she should have been on the booking to begin with (not knowing if the single supplement was 100% or not). 

IMO, the best bet at this time is to book another single room (well, price it out first to see if it makes sense) and join him in his cabin, knowing that there will only be one key card.  Heck, I'd love to have an extra cabin for some "me time" away from my DH, or even to have a 2nd bathroom to be able to use! 😉 (where I would CERTAINLY send DH for his morning business)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Morgsmom said:

Has no one else picked up on this little gem?  LOL!  Not in our household.  DH is the "let's do it" and I'm the "whoa, buddy, not if you'd like to retire someday" person.

If the OP admits to having an open pocketbook, then just pay the difference... or perhaps she should have been on the booking to begin with (not knowing if the single supplement was 100% or not). 

IMO, the best bet at this time is to book another single room (well, price it out first to see if it makes sense) and join him in his cabin, knowing that there will only be one key card.  Heck, I'd love to have an extra cabin for some "me time" away from my DH, or even to have a 2nd bathroom to be able to use! 😉 (where I would CERTAINLY send DH for his morning business)

I immediately picked up on it, but I just couldn't go there.

Sometimes it is best to just let a outrageous fallacy alone and assume that the majority of us recognize it for what it is.

• Like 2

Seems to me that the the original purchaser should be very happy he got upgraded from a solo interior to a balcony cabin considering he booked at a "guaranty" rate. Trying to add another person to the booking at at the original pricing is an entirely different matter.

• Like 3