Sun Princess: what was your experience with walk-in dining in the Eclipse DR?

kmhkmb

I'm on the Jan 25 sailing of the Sun Princess and frustratingly all the 5 pm options for a private table in both the Soleil and Eclipse DR are already gone (despite being before final payment) I've tried both on the app and the web-based app.  The shared table option is not something we want to do.  I've always cruised with dining reservations and the walk-in option gives me pause - curious to hear other people's experience - did you spend ages waiting in line each night?  Given the size of the Sun I'm worried about getting stuck in endless line-ups.  

Edited to add: Does Princess maintain a wait list for people who want early traditional dining?  If yes how do you get added to the list? 

Edited by kmhkmb
Added another question

We’ve eaten in eclipse twice on this trip - the lines at peak times are enormous - if you have a reservation make sure not to wait in the walk-up line.  We have found service to be very very very slow.  The food and service in Sabatini’s last night was excellent, however.  We’d go back except there are no reservations to be had in any specialty restaurant at any time.

Edited by IMNiles
  • Like 2

On 10/16/2024 at 7:45 PM, kmhkmb said:

I'm on the Jan 25 sailing of the Sun Princess and frustratingly all the 5 pm options for a private table in both the Soleil and Eclipse DR are already gone (despite being before final payment) I've tried both on the app and the web-based app.  The shared table option is not something we want to do.  I've always cruised with dining reservations and the walk-in option gives me pause - curious to hear other people's experience - did you spend ages waiting in line each night?  Given the size of the Sun I'm worried about getting stuck in endless line-ups.  

Edited to add: Does Princess maintain a wait list for people who want early traditional dining?  If yes how do you get added to the list? 

We have the same problem as you do trying to get early reservations in the Eclipse DR. There seems to be something wrong with the reservations system on the Sun so we'll just have to get to the DR early on the first evening to obtain our desired seating.

Between waiting for the DR & the lines for the shows, I think the ship wasn't designed to handle the numbers of people they can book at one time.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, IMNiles said:

We’ve eaten in eclipse twice on this trip - the lines at peak times are enormous - if you have a reservation make sure not to wait in the walk-up line.  We have found service to be very very very slow.

What time did you arrive at the DR door?

14 minutes ago, 555 said:

What time did you arrive at the DR door?

I’m sorry, I didn’t make a note of it.  I was just following my party.  Dinner took a very long time and we got out around 9pm, so I imagine it was in the 7 range.

2 hours ago, IMNiles said:

I’m sorry, I didn’t make a note of it.  I was just following my party.  Dinner took a very long time and we got out around 9pm, so I imagine it was in the 7 range.

That explains a lot. It's the most popular time people choose to eat. 

Was on the transAtlantic and only ate in the Dining Room (Deck 7 Walk Up) 3 or 4 days.  However, at 5 - 5:30 we found no appreciable line.  It was shorter the the reservation line.  One of the days, they put us in the elevator and took us to Deck 6 for seating.

However, always remember, things differ for ship to ship and cruise to cruise.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, arrice said:

Was on the transAtlantic and only ate in the Dining Room (Deck 7 Walk Up) 3 or 4 days.  However, at 5 - 5:30 we found no appreciable line.  It was shorter the the reservation line.  One of the days, they put us in the elevator and took us to Deck 6 for seating.

However, always remember, things differ for ship to ship and cruise to cruise.

That's true in general for most ships. The line tends to thin out later in the evening closer to closing time at around 9 PM when we sometimes return for coffee & dessert.

Tonight was a bit wacky, both decks 6&7 were walk in at about 5:30 and they weren’t scanning medallions for reservations.

Unsure if they were just having problems with the reservation system at that time. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jadn13 said:

Tonight was a bit wacky, both decks 6&7 were walk in at about 5:30 and they weren’t scanning medallions for reservations.

Unsure if they were just having problems with the reservation system at that time. 

Well that's good news.

Since I can't seem to make any reservations, I'll get on line ASAP for dinner & hope for the best. Maybe the head waiter can actually give us reservations for the remainder of the cruise.