Fully 1/2 of itinerary switch/deleted, no refund of fee to change date or ship

Cruisecorn

Sorry for the long post but thought I’d give everyone a heads up. Norwegian changed fully half (4 of 8 ports on a 2 week cruise this coming January), changing 3 and dropping one for another sea day. The ports that they dropped were the main reason I booked this itinerary. The last 5 days of the cruise would have been a bust for us. They offered $50 per person onboard credit for the “inconvenience”. I asked to switch to another sail date on that ship or another NCL ship that had an acceptable itinerary but was refused without a 25% cancellation fee. I ran it all the way up the resolutions desk pole. Insurance won’t cover because of “just a change in itinerary”. I ended up cancelling and taking the 25% hit and changed to another cruise line. NCL has lost a frequent cruiser for life. Don’t think they care that the $1250 cost them mine and anyone traveling with me in the futures business. NCL, totally dissatisfied and disappointed in your company. 

The following is my last communication to them. Their return email was again quoting they have the “right to change itinerary” and they wouldn’t budge on waiving or refunding penalty to change dates or ship. I’m DONE with NCL. 

I contacted your resolutions desk for the 3rd time today regarding this matter and asked to be allowed to change sail dates to get an itinerary we could be satisfied with but was told we would still be charged a 25% cancellation fee.  We could have changed to the next Galveston sailing on the 31st because the itinerary change there was acceptable to us or flown to Florida to sail on another Norwegian ship. Because the cancellation fees would not be waived to pick another sailing I have cancelled this cruise. I have given up hard earned money and will rebook with another company because NCL would not bend or compromise to allow us to enjoy our 49th Anniversary on the cruise we booked. Literally the last 5 days of this cruise would have been a washout for us not to mention the ports that were changed besides Jamaica ( we wouldn’t even have gotten off the ship there) were not ports we wanted to visit. I am so disappointed and disgusted with NCL that I intend to spread the word to all I know and as far as I can on cruise boards and social media to let others know your business practices. Although I can’t fully know all the reasons for such an extreme itinerary change it felt very much like it was all money/profit driven. This whole thing with that many port changes is unprecedented and felt very much like bait and switch. I very much drive the trips that the group of couples we travel with choose, we sailed NCL last Oct., England, Ireland, Scotland, Brussels and France) and will steer our group away from NCL on any future cruises.  My cancellation fee was $1249.00 and I feel that if NCL cared to keep a customer and protect their reputation the cancellation fee will be refunded to us.

Edited by Cruisecorn
Misspelling
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

• Cruisecorn changed the title to Fully 1/2 of itinerary switch/deleted, no refund of fee to change date or ship

Two things are true here:

1. NCL has the right to change the itinerary at any given time, and anyone who purchases a ticket implicitly accepts that as part of the cruise contract.

2. Passengers have the right to cancel and take their business elsewhere.

I am sorry that you feel NCL did you wrong, but I accept the possibility of a change in itinerary and have no plans to leave NCL. They've done right by me, and when there's been a change in itinerary, it was for safety reasons.

Wherever your next cruise takes you, I hope you enjoy it. 😊

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

I can see a reasonable port change or cancellation for safety (and had it happen in the past) but this was so extreme in my opinion that asking to switch sailing dates or ships wasn’t an unreasonable request unless they were worried a lot of disgruntled passengers would want to switch. 

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Cruisecorn said:

This whole thing with that many port changes is unprecedented...

there is precedent!

NCL is well known in these here parts for changing port times and itineraries (and even embarkation ports) after final payment, when customers can not cancel without penalty. 

while the contract allows for this, it has clearly become an NCL business strategy to hold customers captive after they make itinerary changes, most of which seem to have been made for fuel efficiency or reasons benefitting NCL.

the contract is intended to cover infrequent itinerary changes for unusual events, such as civil unrest, war or severe life-threatening weather conditions. that's the clear intent. but NCL routinely abuses its privileges and makes itinerary changes for its sole convenience and benefit, while withholding the knowledge of those changes until after final payment has been made. i'm no lawyer, nor do i play one on TV, but intentional deceit and misdirection (if proven) is clearly illegal. withholding known schedule changes from your customers and not disclosing them in time for customers to cancel without penalty is clearly illegal. it is only a matter of time before some enterprising lawyer files a class action suit against NCL for its deceptive business practices.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

41 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

1. NCL has the right to change the itinerary at any given time, and anyone who purchases a ticket implicitly accepts that as part of the cruise contract.

I am sorry that you feel NCL did you wrong, but I accept the possibility of a change in itinerary and have no plans to leave NCL. They've done right by me, and when there's been a change in itinerary, it was for safety reasons.

Wherever your next cruise takes you, I hope you enjoy it. 😊

"To continue elevating the quality of the overall guest experience while positively impacting society and the environment. As we continue to optimize itineraries for fuel efficiency, as a part of our commitment to the environment and sustainability efforts, we have adjusted the itinerary as shown below."    Virtually every day changed, dropping 3 port, adding 3 at sea days. Have they done right by me - I am to receive $50 OBC.
463291777_10230096485334419_2260953840331367249_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_s600x600&_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=aa7b47&_nc_ohc=df1jqFBvpDgQ7kNvgGcliSr&_nc_zt=23&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.xx&_nc_gid=Ai2mN3WuPF2mWMjtOXSJF9a&oh=00_AYBamiFwX3aZZLtRfGRryO1gAEycJ1_vkPY5n6MuEEDlwA&oe=67186954

Edited by herbanrenewal
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Cruisecorn said:

Sorry for the long post but thought I’d give everyone a heads up. Norwegian changed fully half (4 of 8 ports on a 2 week cruise this coming January), changing 3 and dropping one for another sea day. The ports that they dropped were the main reason I booked this itinerary. The last 5 days of the cruise would have been a bust for us. They offered $50 per person onboard credit for the “inconvenience”. I asked to switch to another sail date on that ship or another NCL ship that had an acceptable itinerary but was refused without a 25% cancellation fee. I ran it all the way up the resolutions desk pole. Insurance won’t cover because of “just a change in itinerary”. I ended up cancelling and taking the 25% hit and changed to another cruise line. NCL has lost a frequent cruiser for life. Don’t think they care that the $1250 cost them mine and anyone traveling with me in the futures business. NCL, totally dissatisfied and disappointed in your company. 

The following is my last communication to them. Their return email was again quoting they have the “right to change itinerary” and they wouldn’t budge on waiving or refunding penalty to change dates or ship. I’m DONE with NCL. 

I contacted your resolutions desk for the 3rd time today regarding this matter and asked to be allowed to change sail dates to get an itinerary we could be satisfied with but was told we would still be charged a 25% cancellation fee.  We could have changed to the next Galveston sailing on the 31st because the itinerary change there was acceptable to us or flown to Florida to sail on another Norwegian ship. Because the cancellation fees would not be waived to pick another sailing I have cancelled this cruise. I have given up hard earned money and will rebook with another company because NCL would not bend or compromise to allow us to enjoy our 49th Anniversary on the cruise we booked. Literally the last 5 days of this cruise would have been a washout for us not to mention the ports that were changed besides Jamaica ( we wouldn’t even have gotten off the ship there) were not ports we wanted to visit. I am so disappointed and disgusted with NCL that I intend to spread the word to all I know and as far as I can on cruise boards and social media to let others know your business practices. Although I can’t fully know all the reasons for such an extreme itinerary change it felt very much like it was all money/profit driven. This whole thing with that many port changes is unprecedented and felt very much like bait and switch. I very much drive the trips that the group of couples we travel with choose, we sailed NCL last Oct., England, Ireland, Scotland, Brussels and France) and will steer our group away from NCL on any future cruises.  My cancellation fee was $1249.00 and I feel that if NCL cared to keep a customer and protect their reputation the cancellation fee will be refunded to us.

I'm so sorry. I understand your disappointment. That is a huge change. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cruisecorn said:

I’m so sorry as this is a horrible trend that is happening more often this year. Thank you for taking the time to warn others. 

Happy 49th Anniversary!  I hope you find another cruise to celebrate. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, herbanrenewal said:

"To continue elevating the quality of the overall guest experience while positively impacting society and the environment. As we continue to optimize itineraries for fuel efficiency, as a part of our commitment to the environment and sustainability efforts, we have adjusted the itinerary as shown below."    Virtually every day changed, dropping 3 port, adding 3 at sea days. Have they done right by me - I am to receive $50 OBC.
463291777_10230096485334419_2260953840331367249_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_s600x600&_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=aa7b47&_nc_ohc=df1jqFBvpDgQ7kNvgGcliSr&_nc_zt=23&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.xx&_nc_gid=Ai2mN3WuPF2mWMjtOXSJF9a&oh=00_AYBamiFwX3aZZLtRfGRryO1gAEycJ1_vkPY5n6MuEEDlwA&oe=67186954

No I totally agree that the “explanation” was word salad for we need to cut expenses on this cruise so to hell with the NCL customers it effected. Totally taking advantage of the port

change clause. Less expense to them,  plus more money spent on board with another day at sea. Totally unacceptable, and the only way to let them know is to not book in the future and spread the word on their tactics. If the port changes hadn’t mattered to me I wouldn't

have taken the hit dollar wise to cancel , just wouldn’t have booked NCL in the future but we cruise AS MUCH OR MORE for where we are going as we do for the ship and it’s amenities. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Agree, we would understand if we just wanted to cancel but we are willing to rebook on another cruise with an itinerary that we are interested in.  NCL cancelled all four ports we had not been to and added three common ports and one extra sea day. NCL lures you in with unique ports and then makes changes to the ports.  This seems to be a consistent NCL theme.  The changes in itinerary happen too often and are due to unexplained reasons right after the cancellation period ends.  Very frustrated and disappointed.  The referenced language to allow changes to itinerary has been consistent for years but I would like to see how often it is currently used as compared to the old days when at least there was a significant reason to make such changes.  It would be great to see a cruise stat on itinerary changes and reasons therefore over the years!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

People shouldn't have to pay extra for insurance just in case the cruise that NCL designed, scheduled, promoted and sold turns out to not be what they get and are informed only after they will be penalized for a change. Clearly they are waiting until after the penalty phase starts to announce the changes to avoid people canceling - as they know the changes may make the cruise less appealing to some customers.

I have reached the point that I will not book with NCL until after final payment, especially for their more exotic and "extraordinary journeys".

Edited by Ozmodiar
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

A lessened learned to purchase insurance with a cancel for any reason rider. 

Agreed. Also, a reminder that if you cruise SOLELY for the ports, you may get disappointed. As it happens, my wife and I DO cruise for the ports, and it's very rare one gets missed. Sadly, this forum is reflective of a general trend in online discussions, which is to cherry-pick a few unfortunate exceptions out of 100s of 1,000s and then conclude "it happens all the time." Yeah, no, it happens occasionally, that's the reality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I am so glad I am retired. After my already booked cruises in 25, I am going to pick out 3 or 4 cruises in a certain time frame and wait for them to get inside 60 days so I have a good chance on going to the ports advertised and maybe get a good deal also. And if one sells out, I will just move on to the next one.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Sorry this happened to you. And I do agree that while itinerary changes and dropped ports can happen and we should simply adapt... I have said before... your cruise should at least resemble the cruise you booked. And it can't resemble the cruise you booked if HALF or more of your ports are changed or dropped.

I really think that is a hard line cruise companies need to look at when making itinerary changes and deciding whether or not to allow passengers to cancel for full refunds or change dates as requested. I do believe it would be financially bad business on some levels to all this for any and all itinerary changes made, but I do think when half the itinerary is changed to different ports or dropped port - these options should definitely be allowed. 

And this is once again a learning lesson - if the itinerary is so important to you that you MUST go to each of your ports - then go independently and don't take a cruise or travel tour to get there. I choose cruises for the itinerary - I have no interest in spending my entire time sitting on a ship and port visits are the highlight of a cruise. But - I am reminded to always be flexible and adaptable - and can always find an alternate fun activity to make my cruise worthwhile. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Seas2mountains said:

I’m so sorry as this is a horrible trend that is happening more often this year. Thank you for taking the time to warn others. 

Happy 49th Anniversary!  I hope you find another cruise to celebrate. 

Thank you, I took the hit on cancellation and book with Princess. I have sailed them before, (not as many times as NCL) and was satisfied. Just so disappointed in NCL’s bait and switch tactics and unbending attitude on a situation they caused. Never NCL again. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

A lessened learned to purchase insurance with a cancel for any reason rider. 

I have cancel for any reason insurance. This particular itinerary half way around the world also involves spending time in Cape Town, where I will be meeting up with a friend i haven't seen in decades. While I will enjoy what is left of my vacation I can't help feeling NCL's latest shenanigans will impact future sales - not my cruising since this was near the last of my wish list. But others may be looking and rethinking booking with a company that does not deliver the product advertised. I've posted on several of these changed itinerary threads. My primary reason for doing so is to make some aware that this can happen to them. Beware particularly if you are considering an African trip - sequentially as each no penalty point arises the dreaded email comes telling you they are saving the planet. I booked over 2 years ago. The radically changed itinerary have been happening since last year - I didn't realize that until it happened to me.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1.  NCL has the right to change any itinerary 

2.  What about changing a Panama Canal transit to make it round trip instead of one way through the canal turning it into a Gatun Lake then Caribbean cruise.  

Is that taking contract rights too far?  It’s a hypothetical.  But well within their rights. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, erisajd said:

1.  NCL has the right to change any itinerary 

....so does every other cruise line. But, the other lines don't change itineraries after final payment date for fuel efficiencies, guest satisfaction and operational considerations. To change any itinerary for these reasons after final payment and not offer a refund of some sort is taking it too far. Otherwise, everyone would be doing it. NCL is alone in the industry here.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve started buying cancel for any reason insurance because of a couple of times recently where I couldn’t cancel for the reasons I encountered because I didn’t meet the exact policy criteria. Cancel for any reason still causes a loss of 50% of trip cost. I don’t agree cancel for any reason is a good option to cover for NCLs bad corporate behavior. Unless there are policies that cover 100% to cancel for any reason. Are there?

Cruisecorn, we are booked on the same January 2025 cruise out of Galveston as you are, I believe.  This will be our first and our last Norwegian Cruise.  In the last 15 years, we have been on 5 Royal Caribbean cruises, and never had to deal with all of the itinerary changes like the ones made to this cruise.  I can understand the need for these changes if there is bad weather or a mechanical problem, but not for a cruise that is scheduled three months from now.  This smacks of “bait and switch”…and there is no way on earth we would have chosen to go to Jamaica! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SHW50 said:

Cruisecorn, we are booked on the same January 2025 cruise out of Galveston as you are, I believe.  This will be our first and our last Norwegian Cruise.  In the last 15 years, we have been on 5 Royal Caribbean cruises, and never had to deal with all of the itinerary changes like the ones made to this cruise.  I can understand the need for these changes if there is bad weather or a mechanical problem, but not for a cruise that is scheduled three months from now.  This smacks of “bait and switch”…and there is no way on earth we would have chosen to go to Jamaica! 

SHW50 I hope you guys have a good time anyway. We switched to a Princess cruise out of Galveston the end of the month. Still not the ports I wanted but better than 14 days 

with Jamaica and sea days the last 5. It’s 11 days but the price is what I’m getting back from NCL, so although I’m loosing money at least it’s not costing more than I spent even with the 25% penalty. I am DONE with NCL. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

. . . . 

Agreed.

It's hilarious that certain whiners continue to troll the NCL site, even though they claim to have moved on (the very definition of a troll).   My favorite phrase for the trolls:  You may have your own opinions, but you cant have your own facts.  

We are staying with NCL, as are the thousands and thousands of others who continue to book with NCL.  (hmm, no one feeding the trolls under the bridge) :)🙂

After hearing so many stories this year on cruisecritic about NCL changing/cancelling ports after final payment for BS reasons (like environmental reasons), I also truly believe this is intentional bait and switch tactic for NCL to increase their profits.
Especially when only providing a $50 OBC as compensation, which to me is NCL waiving to us customers with one finger. 

I mean, it wasn’t too long ago (May 2023) that our NCL Iceland cruise got caught in a storm and the captain wasn’t able to make one of the ports for safety and weather conditions, which is completely fair. 
But we were surprised when a day later we all received an apologetic letter in the cabin, explaining the situation, and where NCL would offer support if required, FCC, 50% discount on our next cruise and a second 25% discount coupon. 
This showed us that the company cares for their customers and goes a long way and because of things like that and our up to then positive experiences with NCL, made us book another NCL cruise right away and we also used to recommend NCL to our friends and family. Not anymore! 

At this point, it looks like the itinerary at NCL became optional and they really don’t care about their customers. 
Even if it’s technically the cruise lines right to change the itinerary, but NCL’s behavior and strategy this year from the many concerning stories shared on here is highly unethical. And we will not be supporting this kind of behavior and are also taking our money elsewhere.