Anyone do Greece/Adriatic/Turkey end of Oct

jbinbi

Looking at one of the smaller lines for a 10-14 day cruise, but with 2 other couples, one can only go end of Oct, 1st week of Nov. I looked up the weather, and quite a bit of variation. Cruises start or end in Venice/Istanbul with stops in Greece in the middle. 

A bit concerned that it is going to be cold at night, and we will be inside only. Also, much shorter days.

Has anyone done this area at this time, and if so, what were your impressions.

Family was just on the Adriatic at the start of the month. Windy most days, rain a couple days, mild temps (60s-low 70s). It rained enough for flooding in Bosnia and raising rivers in most of the countries...noted because my family wanted to do some fly fishing. High winds in the Fall are pretty common through the area.

Weather is a crapshoot, but I've been on nearly a dozen Med cruises, most of them in October or November (even as late as late November). MOST of the time, the weather is decent. Mostly I've had sunny days -- especially in Greece and more southerly ports like Malta.

In places farther north -- like Venice or Istanbul -- you can get some cooler weather. But you're not going to be headed to the beach in Venice or Istanbul, and sometimes cooler weather is better for sightseeing.

OCCASIONALLY I've hit some bad weather. Nothing as bad as what cruiserbruce describes -- that weather is a bit atypical, but it can happen, and the point is that no one can predict it.

Bring a fleece and a good waterproof (not just water resistant) jacket that you can layer over it needed. I wouldn't count on shorts, but I also wouldn't say the entire voyage will be chilly.

On 10/18/2024 at 8:24 PM, jbinbi said:

Has anyone done this area at this time

Another point to consider is that  by the end of October/early November many tourist attractions/activities/services in ports will have closed for the season and many other local businesses could be closed as locals take a well earned rest after a busy tourist season. Cities such as Istanbul and Athens would be the exception, but opening hours could also be reduced so check carefully.

• Like 1

October is usually the month when the weather changes in the eastern Med.

I recall a cruise of about 10 (?) days starting early October in Istanbul. Glorious weather, pool deck packed as we headed to Israel & Egypt, where the weather remained very good. But on the last day (a sea-day) it was cold & wet and the decks were deserted. And a couple of post-cruise days in Istanbul were uncomfortably cold.

On another occasion, a 7-day gulet cruise September into October (the gulet's last cruise of the season) out of Split, the weather was excellent until the last couple of days & we headed back to the mainland a day early due to a thunderstorm & heavy rain.

Those were our experiences in October - but when you go the weather may change earlier, and your entire cruise will be affected. Or the weather may change much later, and you'll wonder why folk were so pessimistic.

Luck of the draw, but the earlier the cruise the better your chances.

JB 🙂

6 hours ago, edinburgher said:

Another point to consider is that  by the end of October/early November many tourist attractions/activities/services in ports will have closed for the season and many other local businesses could be closed as locals take a well earned rest after a busy tourist season. Cities such as Istanbul and Athens would be the exception, but opening hours could also be reduced so check carefully.

I haven't really found this to be true, with the exception of beach clubs, which may shut down for the season (e.g., no chairs to be rented, no food or drink options at the beach). 

I've been in Santorini, Mykonos, Chania, Iraklion, Rhodes, Corfu....even to less touristed islands (Ithaca, Skiathos)...and never have seen many places closed for the season, even in November. If there are a few, there are still PLENTY of choices for dining and shopping.

There are a few places that close earlier, usually starting from some point in October. But in general, cruisers can't take advantage of longer summer hours anyway, as most need to get back to the ship at least 30 minutes before sailing. For example, the Ephesus site closes at 5:30 pm in winter (as opposed to 8:00 pm in shoulder and summer seasons). I doubt many cruisers would want to stay any later.... 

14 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

For example, the Ephesus site closes at 5:30 pm in winter (as opposed to 8:00 pm in shoulder and summer seasons). I doubt many cruisers would want to stay any later

i agree they probably would not,however the OP should note that in addition to a reduction in opening HOURS, in some instances the number of opening DAYS is also reduced.And public transport will usually switch to a winter timetable with less frequent services towards the end of Oct/ early November..And any additional "seasonal" timetables or routes will have been withdrawn. And sunset will be early.

jbinbi, should you decide to go late Oct/early Nov, look to see where your ship will be on November 1s as that is All Saints Day and many countries across Europe take that day as a National holiday with widespread closures.