Super fussy eater husband travelling QG on Sunday

mumoftwo

After some advice on best way to approach above issue. 

Husband v fussy - these are not health issues/allergies just v fussy. Basically does not enjoy traditional british cruise food at all. Will often not find anything he likes on Brittania menu at all - so resorts to spag bol off kids menu!!!

So given QG allows you to order as you want I am hoping this is the answer. 

But how should we go about organising this - he would prefer minimal fuss around the issue. Could we just give them a list of what he will eat at the start and allow them to surprise us (I actually think he would like this!). 

His likes are really not that odd….just no potatoes, no mushrooms, only meat is chicken, turkey or mince (bacon/ham ok), salmon ok, no seafood.  Loves indian, mexican, italian - spicy stuff. 

any tips?

All you have to do is have a word with your head waiter, probably at your first QG meal, and explain likes and dislikes. In our experience, you are asked every meal time if there's something you'd like to order for the next meal.

I'm a great fan of spag bol as Cunards is far better than mine it's my go to as well at times.  I love Asian cuisine so noodle dishes/curries/Thai meals ...the world is your oyster and it's not considered making a fuss whatsoever. It's part of the QG  holiday experience and is expected.

Edit

Enjoy and don't even think your husband is being fussy. It's down to personal tastes and mine run along the same lines as your husband for spicy meals.🙂

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 1

Ooh thank you. 

Hopefully all will be ok. We are going to try to get on early next Sunday and head straight for lunch to hopefully iron out any issues and make sure we get a good table location😬

37 minutes ago, mumoftwo said:

Ooh thank you. 

Hopefully all will be ok. We are going to try to get on early next Sunday and head straight for lunch to hopefully iron out any issues and make sure we get a good table location😬

Depending how things go, you may find yourself on board well before lunch, which doesn’t start until at least 1pm on embarkation day. In fact, I should go up a little after that as there is usually a bit of a queue as soon as it opens.

I don’t think you will have much trouble in QG, we usually ask to see the dinner menu for that evening while we are at breakfast. Then if we want to order something different for that evening we request if it’s possible.

We've only been in Britannia Club, but reading about QG here he shouldn't have any problem simply asking for what he wants.

We're not fussy eaters. My wife can't eat kidney beans or anything that has been cooked with them because she will vomit a short time later. I'm not keen on rice or semolina puddings, as I believe they are savoury foods that have no place in a dessert. We don't like too much British food. We suffered two weeks of it once on P&O. We follow a Mediterranean diet.

If we were in Britannia and the menu had fish, meat or poultry with potato plus a rice or pasta dish, and I was fed up with potatoes, I might ask for the potatoes to be replaced by rice or pasta. If that was refused I would ask for the two dishes to be served at once and eat what I wanted from the two plates.

36 minutes ago, Georginah said:

we usually ask to see the dinner menu for that evening while we are at breakfast

Have you not had it delivered to your suite the previous evening?

I don't know if there is a general change but on QV last month any "off menu" items had to be ordered at least 24 hours in advance.

Edited by david63

9 minutes ago, mumoftwo said:

Well I am just looking forward to the odd potato as we rarely have them at home (children do not like them either!!). 

Roasted/mashed/baked/chipped/hasselback [love these with sprinkles of vintage cheddar]/rosti/dauphinoise...

Potato heaven! 🙂

We breakfast in our cabin and although the following day's menus will be on your bed at turn down, it's too late for us as we don't go up for breakfast so the following day's menus are on the table for us at dinner time.

Then we can decide which special to order if we feel like it.

Remember, you can order off menu for room service as well. Just ask your head waiter or give your butler your order [in very good time for the meal time desired] and he/she will pass it on to the M'd who will facilitate it for you.

We occasionally do that at lunch time, eg the burger is a chargeable item [well it is on QA at the moment] off the room service menu but if ordered as a special, no charge. Slightly bizarre but there you go!

6 minutes ago, mumoftwo said:

Thanks for the burger tip!

I like a salad with components  of my own choice. I have it in the restaurant and have had it as a room lunch too.

Just ask. If the ingredients are on the ship, you can have it.

4 minutes ago, mumoftwo said:

I am thinking 7 days onboard will not be long enough…..

But, if you like it, there is the consolation that you can book your next voyage while on board, and get quite a lot more obc.

Just now, exlondoner said:

But, if you like it, there is the consolation that you can book your next voyage while on board, and get quite a lot more obc.

and with a very small  deposit which is useful if you have to cancel for an uninsurable reason!!😕

Just remember to book your appointment with future sales asap as they get booked up. The concierge will sort that for you. 👍

• Like 1

I’d be tempted to simply not take him and instead take a friend 🤣🤣

But yes ask in the QG restaurant and they will be able to tailor the meals to his “tastes”. Start with the things he does like and go from there.

• Haha 1