Do any of you Princess cruisers still enjoy 'traditional' cruise dining?

Disneycruisers

On the Coral, they checked your cruise card and if it said Traditional Dining, you were not allowed into the PC dining room. You can make a permanent switch to PC, but once you do you cannot go back to Traditional. This does pertain to the speciality dining areas. You can go there anytime.

On the Diamond they never checked our cruise card and we had no problems eating in the PC diningrooms. On the Coral I think they checked our cruise cards the first couple of nights but not after that. Of course, we were in traditional dining and they knew us by then.

I will not book on a line that offers only traditional dining. Sailing out of New York year round, we have been won over by NCL's freestyle dining. You get spoiled with a choice of 10 restaurants (only 3 extra charge) where you can dine at anytime you wish. We booked the Crown Princess in October only because we liked her itinerary and Personal Choice dining was available. The only reason more cruise lines have not adapted freestyle dining is because their ships are not configured for it.

I'm with your Dolphin, Anytime or Freestyle dining is for me, and why we only sail with Princess or NCL (the other six star lines are a bit outta my tax bracket still)

I have enough organization in my life, I don't need to have to show up at a set time each day for my dish to be filled! :D

I've noticed that the biggest lines are always for traditional seating, and there's another reason not to go with traditional, I HATE line-ups!

We always choose traditional dining. We like to know who we will be sitting with at dinner. We like having the same waiter and assistant waiter every night who remembers after the first night that I take Djarjeling tea instead of coffee after dinner, and that my mother needs her food cut up for her (she is disabled). If you don't like your waiter or dining companions you can always as the Maitre 'd for a table change. We have rarely needed to do this. Our last trip the three of us were at a table with two couples from Wales and a pair of older ladies from Scotland. Once we got past the "language barrier" we became great friends and still correspond. We like talking about what we did during the day and what we have planned for tomorrow as well as getting to know about their homes and families. With PC you have to introduce yourself every meal, and never get past this introductory stuff.

I have NEVER had to wait in line for traditional dining, regardless of the cruise line. We actually prefer cruise lines that have only traditional dining (Crystal and HAL).

At breakfast and lunch (which we also prefer in the dining room over the buffet) we always ask for shared tables and take this opportunity to meet new people and visit, but we like a stable group for our evening meal.

We also prefer second seating as we find we are less rushed by the wait staff, and it gives us time for a nap, a shower, a drink or some dancing before dinner after a busy day ashore.

Always prefer traditional early dining if possible. Get very frustrated with "anytime." It does seem that Princess is trying to force people to anytime. No matter how early we book, we seem to be waitlisted in the 100's+ for traditional. Seems they should make more of an effort to accommodate those of us who prefer traditional as there are always long lines of people waiting to see the maitre 'd at the beginning of each cruise.

Given the issues with waitlisting and all, it would really be more efficient if those who chose Traditional would stay there or move permanently so that those waitlisted could take their place. Princess should check the cruise card at the dining room to ensure people are in the right place. When Traditional people move over to Anytime anytime, it just messes up the dining arrangements for everyone.

Anytime Dining is described as:

‘We like to know who we will be sitting with at dinner. We like having the same waiter and assistant waiter every night who remembers after the first night that I take’

‘If you don't like your waiter or dining companions you can always as the Maitre 'd for a table change. We have rarely needed to do this.’

‘I have NEVER had to wait in line for anytime dining on Princess. We actually prefer cruise lines that have anytime dining (Princess).’

‘At breakfast and lunch (which we also prefer in the dining room over the buffet) we always ask for shared tables and take this opportunity to meet new people and visit, but we like a stable group for our evening meal.

‘We also prefer second seating as we find we are less rushed by the wait staff, and it gives us time for a nap, a shower, a drink or some dancing before dinner after a busy day ashore.’’

The only thing that I can add to the above as described by OP is that we also like the option to dine with others that we meet during the cruise. They may join us at our table in the anytime dining room.

Anytime dining is for us and we have used it ever since it was started on Princess.

Given the issues with waitlisting and all, it would really be more efficient if those who chose Traditional would stay there or move permanently so that those waitlisted could take their place. Princess should check the cruise card at the dining room to ensure people are in the right place. When Traditional people move over to Anytime anytime, it just messes up the dining arrangements for everyone.

I completely agree, but I think Princess is reluctant to aggravate their customer base by telling Traditional Diners they cannot use the Anytime Dining Room. Again, I have limitted experience, but I have seen (and wait staff have confirmed) that a lot of seats in the traditional dining room remain empty night after night. A lot of these "missing" folks have to be "sneaking" over to Anytime Dining Rooms.

I am a traditional diner at heart, but I have to tell you Freestyle dining (NCL) worked out fabulously when I took my 2 elderly parents cruising. They didn't want to dress up 'fancy' as they called it and needed to take their time and not rush. It was super convenient to be able to eat when we wanted ~ no strings attached.

I read JudyNorth's post about the Diamond, and it does not reflect our experience on this ship this past Feb. We were PC and whenever we entered anyone of the 3 dinning rooms available for our use, we were asked for our cruise card or cabin number (which the maitre'd than checked on his terminal). On several ocassions we witnessed traditional diners try to get into the PC dining rooms, and they were gently reminded that they "had reservations" in the traditional dining room. We also witnessed one traditional diner than ask to be switched to PC, and they were immediately accomodated with the caution that they would not be allowed to later switch back to traditional. We used to love late sitting traditional until we were on a couple of cruises where most of our table mates would fail to show on many nights (they said they either went to the buffet, alternative dining, or PC). We finally figured the only way to always get a full large table was to eat in PC. The irony is that usually on longer cruises, we will make friends in PC and eventually form our own nightly table. PC seems to be the best of both worlds.

Hank

I always choose traditional. As I walk about the ship or even just look out at the ocean, I somewhat think back about the grandeur of cruising, and what passengers felt back in the days when cruising was an affluent means of transportation. I wouldn't qualify as a member of their well being, but the exposure to this life style, can be obtained through the service, luxury, ambiance (and yes) the experience of traditional dining. By nature of the word "traditional" you are trying to experience an atmosphere of what cruising was. (this includes it's formality and dress) Not what the conveniences and improvements(?) are to the industry. I love to experience afternoon tea or read a good book. (as opposed to play golf on a computer driving screen) And especially be treated as royalty by the crew when they attend to my needs. That's what I cruise for; not the convenience but for the tradition. That includes dining as well. IMHO

Always traditional. Grew up summering at a hotel in the Catskill Mtns. in NY. Always had same waiter/waitress for entire stay. Loved it. I feel the service is better when the staff gets to know you. And- results in larger tips to staff.

We always had excellent to extraordinary service doing traditional.

When we went to extra charge restaurants for a meal, the service was very good, but not at the same level as our "regular" team. Early seating so we can do all the nightlife activities and get to sleep before midnight!

My wife and I love the traditional dining...if you like your waitstaff.

On the Star last week (yes, the burning one), we had Adina from Romania. Absolutely fabulous service. She was great with the small kids, and just loved to talk with us.

Next table over, however, some of our other friends had very slow service, and a somewhat grumpy waiter. We felt bad...and on several occaisions, we "loaned" Adina to them to help get their food out.

She whispered to us that the other waiter has a nickname among the other staff: "escargot"

If she's on the Star in the future, I'd try to get at one of her tables again.

hbeard

I always choose traditional. As I walk about the ship or even just look out at the ocean, I somewhat think back about the grandeur of cruising, and what passengers felt back in the days when cruising was an affluent means of transportation. I wouldn't qualify as a member of their well being, but the exposure to this life style, can be obtained through the service, luxury, ambiance (and yes) the experience of traditional dining. By nature of the word "traditional" you are trying to experience an atmosphere of what cruising was. (this includes it's formality and dress) Not what the conveniences and improvements(?) are to the industry. I love to experience afternoon tea or read a good book. (as opposed to play golf on a computer driving screen) And especially be treated as royalty by the crew when they attend to my needs. That's what I cruise for; not the convenience but for the tradition. That includes dining as well. IMHO

Very nicely said.....exactly how we feel....thank you for expressing it so eloquently.

The following is an excerpt from a letter I sent to Princess following our cruise on the Grand last month. The only snags we encountered on the cruise were concerning dining. I posted this on another thread last week, but since that thread never really got going and this one did, I decided to repost it here.

Another aspect of our problems with dining concerns the confusion between traditional and anytime dining, particularly among new cruisers, and abuses of the system that diminish the dining experience for all passengers. Much to our disappointment when we reported to the Botticelli dining room we found ourselves sitting alone at a table for 8. This was an awkward situation, although our outstanding servers did their best to be attentive and help us feel comfortable. We weren’t the only ones who found ourselves in that situation in the “completely full” traditional dining room. There were actually entire tables that weren’t used all week, and other large tables where only one couple showed up for dinner during the cruise. We ended up joining forces and sitting with another “Cruise Critic” couple we knew from the message boards and met on an excursion. This couple also found themselves alone at a table for 8. Finally on Wednesday another couple joined our table. The newcomers were first time cruisers and they had been busy, so they were just eating in the buffet or one of the anytime dining rooms!

I think this is a problem that you could correct with better communication and more detailed explanations of the dining options. In particular first time cruisers and first time Princess passengers seem to have difficulty understanding their options and the impact they have on the system and their fellow passengers when they ignore their dining assignment. Perhaps you need to implement a policy that if passengers don’t show up after two nights or if they choose to eat in one of the anytime dining rooms, they will have to give up their spot in traditional. It seems like there are always lengthy waiting lists for traditional dining, but this was our second cruise in a row where the traditional dining room has been AT MOST three quarters full. There were complete tables that were empty for the entire week. No one checked cruise cards for the anytime dining rooms, so many people with reservations for traditional ate there if they didn’t feel like eating in the traditional dining room at their set time.

I know the dining system isn’t set up to have passengers switching back and forth, but if there isn’t anyone monitoring a system, it can break. Apparently the system wasn’t being monitored during our cruise, which led to numerous vacant seats in the traditional dining room and unnecessarily long waits (up to an hour!) in the anytime dining rooms. I think this problem could be easily addressed with some improvement in an explanation of the dining options, better monitoring of the cruise cards, and possibly a “use it or lose it” policy for traditional dining. I know anytime dining is an excellent choice for many people and traditional works best for others, but passengers can’t have it both ways. If a person chooses traditional, that is what they should do – not switch back and forth. Examining the dining system and possibly implementing some stricter controls would help you improve the cruise dining experience for all your guests.

The following is an excerpt from a letter I sent to Princess following our cruise on the Grand last month. The only snags we encountered on the cruise were concerning dining. I posted this on another thread last week, but since that thread never really got going and this one did, I decided to repost it here.

Another aspect of our problems with dining concerns the confusion between traditional and anytime dining, particularly among new cruisers, and abuses of the system that diminish the dining experience for all passengers. Much to our disappointment when we reported to the Botticelli dining room we found ourselves sitting alone at a table for 8. This was an awkward situation, although our outstanding servers did their best to be attentive and help us feel comfortable. We weren’t the only ones who found ourselves in that situation in the “completely full” traditional dining room. There were actually entire tables that weren’t used all week, and other large tables where only one couple showed up for dinner during the cruise. We ended up joining forces and sitting with another “Cruise Critic” couple we knew from the message boards and met on an excursion. This couple also found themselves alone at a table for 8. Finally on Wednesday another couple joined our table. The newcomers were first time cruisers and they had been busy, so they were just eating in the buffet or one of the anytime dining rooms!

I think this is a problem that you could correct with better communication and more detailed explanations of the dining options. In particular first time cruisers and first time Princess passengers seem to have difficulty understanding their options and the impact they have on the system and their fellow passengers when they ignore their dining assignment. Perhaps you need to implement a policy that if passengers don’t show up after two nights or if they choose to eat in one of the anytime dining rooms, they will have to give up their spot in traditional. It seems like there are always lengthy waiting lists for traditional dining, but this was our second cruise in a row where the traditional dining room has been AT MOST three quarters full. There were complete tables that were empty for the entire week. No one checked cruise cards for the anytime dining rooms, so many people with reservations for traditional ate there if they didn’t feel like eating in the traditional dining room at their set time.

I know the dining system isn’t set up to have passengers switching back and forth, but if there isn’t anyone monitoring a system, it can break. Apparently the system wasn’t being monitored during our cruise, which led to numerous vacant seats in the traditional dining room and unnecessarily long waits (up to an hour!) in the anytime dining rooms. I think this problem could be easily addressed with some improvement in an explanation of the dining options, better monitoring of the cruise cards, and possibly a “use it or lose it” policy for traditional dining. I know anytime dining is an excellent choice for many people and traditional works best for others, but passengers can’t have it both ways. If a person chooses traditional, that is what they should do – not switch back and forth. Examining the dining system and possibly implementing some stricter controls would help you improve the cruise dining experience for all your guests.

Good suggestion. There should be some screening. Personal choice diners cannot dine in the traditional dining room. Why should traditional diners be allowed in the Personal choice dining room? It doesn't make sense as it adds to the problems and waiting times for personal choice diners. If traditional diners want to eat elsewhere one evening, they can go to the buffet.

We have always done Traditional and after 10 cruises I can honestly say that on only one cruise did we wish we had the choice to do PC. We just got off the Sea Princess where we had a table for 10. We always looked forward to seeing our dinner companions everynight and invariably we were the last ones to leave. Perhaps we were lucky, especially on a 14 day cruise you could get personalities that just don't mesh. We have been able to keep in touch with many of our dinner companions over the years once the cruise was over.

I will say, however, it's the first cruise I have ever been on where the waiter and assistant waiter did not introduce themselves.

Archived