Do you think all these requests for refunds...

flagger

Do you think all these requests for refunds when the cruiseline lowers the price would cease if the cruiselines implemented a policy where the passengers would have to pay more if the fare had gone up either after deposit or final payment had been made. Could you just imagine the outrage.

I guess I just don't follow the pricing that carefully and the price I pay when I book so early usually at a significant discount anyway is the price I agree to pay. I never think to see if my category cabin has gone down in price. I guess having been so used to the airlines and revenue management that I know I could be sitting next to someone who paid half of what I did or 3 times as much as I did.

I brought the same thing up a couple of years ago, I guess its just human nature. I generally try not to worry about it. Last cruise met a couple from the town next to mine who paid significently less than I did for a higher category cabin. They booked only a couple of weeks out when I had booked over a year in advance. I'm not rich but what are you going to do. If you worry you'll go nuts.

In our case, the price dropped by hundeds of dollars 3 days after booking. We were technically into the penalty period as we are leaving in early May. Celebrity finally did adjust our fare, but not without several attempts by our travel agent to get it done. The amount we saved covers both our airline tickets AND will pay for the tipping at the end of the cruise. That's worth asking about, I think.

In our case, the price dropped by hundeds of dollars 3 days after booking. We were technically into the penalty period as we are leaving in early May. Celebrity finally did adjust our fare, but not without several attempts by our travel agent to get it done. The amount we saved covers both our airline tickets AND will pay for the tipping at the end of the cruise. That's worth asking about, I think.
So then should the cruiseline pester you and your travel agent about paying more when the price goes up?

I certainly understand the dilemma. If you book early, you get your choice of cabin and location, and secure a price. Ideally, the early bird should get the worm if a cabin reduction is offered. Unfortunately, when ships aren't full, they need to fill the cabins. Hence, they post bargains After our agent secured the large price reduction that occurred 3 days after our original booking, the bargain disappeared. A few cabins just popped back in the system at hundreds of dollars MORE than what we had originally agreed to pay. So, you are very correct in wondering why late bookers can grab those discounts if they are lucky enough to see them, because they can be pulled out of the system at any time and replaced with even a higher rate. Hmmm...

I'm guilty of grabbing the bargain, so hang me if you wish. We are modest people and the savings helps us a great deal. Is it right to ask for it? Yup! Unless the cruise industry revamps things, we are not wrong for wanting the lowest fare. I would respect it, though, if the industry changed things to apply reduced fares to early bookings.

Sorry if it ticks you off. I would be ticked, too, if I ended up sitting by people that paid hundreds less for a higher grade of cabin than what I paid.

I understand...I agree...but until things change, I am very glad we had our agent persue the discounted fare.

My own philosophy is to book early and accept the fact that the price may go down once the sailing enters the penalty phase. It's just the risk you take in return for cabin choice and the early booking discount.

Having said all that, I'll still ask the cruiseline for the price drop or a cabin credit on the chance they might actually agree. If they don't, oh well. I won't complain about it. I might still be able to negotiate a paid upgrade to a better cabin at a discount. If not, well, I was satisfied with the booking when I made it.

I do think that if the possibility of a price drop worries someone enough, they're better off just waiting till after the penalty phase starts and shopping for bargains.

Heck, we booked last Tuesday and the price went down on Friday of that same week. We were in the penalty phase the minute we made full payment.

There's no correct answer to this situation. It fare was $450 per person less 3 days after booking the reservation. I would think anyone who noticed that, would ask their agent to try and get credit back.

Flagger:

I think most people like to pay less for something if the opportunity arises.

Similarly most people like to reward people for a job well done (tipping). .

Of course, you may have different opinions on these issues, but I believe you are, once again, in the minority....

I think you should have to wear a name tag that clearly states how much you paid...that way the crew would know how famously to treat you (greater payment would equal better treatment) they could also refer to you by name and I wouldn't have to concentrate on names as I meet new people...just a thought...

Now there's a ponder. Tipping is such a fundamental part of the cruise service you receive. Some cruise lines include the cost in the price of their package, but even then, I bet most people add in extra.

I am frugal and asked for the price reduction but on the other hand, I will be generous to my cabin steward, waiter, bus boy, assistant waiter, and any other staff person if I am given good service. They work very hard for very little wages from the cruise line. They support their families on their tips. I have no problem giving "extra" above recommended amounts to those that deserve it.

On the other hand, just like at a restaurant at home, if I get lousy service or am neglected or ignored, I also have no problem "under tipping". I allow for good tips, but will take it home if the service is below expectations. It's one thing if something happens out of the control of the worker. But if the worker deliberately short changes me, then I will consider returning the "favor".

I have only had 1 experience with a price drop.Years ago I booked a cat 11(inside), but kept watching the prices. within a month,the priced dropped so much I upgraded to a Cat 3 for $30 bucks more.

I can't seem to find that anymore these days

Jeff

I don't relay the price I paid for my cruise to the amount I tip. Just because I saved on the cabin, doesn't mean I'm gonna try to save on the tipping. I was lucky on this trip, because I happened to see the price reduction myself. My travel agent got the price adjusted for me, but she was not the one to alert me to the reduction.

The people that work on the ships earn every dollar of the recommended tip. I will give them extra without batting an eye. That is, of course, unless they are really neglegent or rude.

Wearing a name tag that says what we paid is pretty "cold". Meet us and talk to us and then decide if we're cheap or pennypinchers.

We are going to have a fabulous cruise. The savings will help us a lot, but vacation memories are created. I'm with my husband, best friend, and traveling companion of almost 36 years. I can hardly wait to share another cruise with him as we see and experience new sites together

I book early...I get the cabin I want, the interary I want, the date I want...good things.

I must admit that I do find that by being loyal to this line I pay a premium price...I would much prefer a system where one price is quoted and stuck to it right up to sailing date...dreamer.

I totally agree that we have already booked and notice a change to contact our travel agent and have them see if they can obtain and upgrade or money off. I feel it is our respondsibility to keep and eye on this as well as the travel agent.

Dotty

Heck, we booked last Tuesday and the price went down on Friday of that same week. We were in the penalty phase the minute we made full payment.

There's no correct answer to this situation. It fare was $450 per person less 3 days after booking the reservation. I would think anyone who noticed that, would ask their agent to try and get credit back.

My thoughts on this are: The cruiseline's policy is to refund the difference if the price lowers then there's absolutely wrong with taking advantage of this when it happens. It is NOT Celebrity's policy to increase the price if there is an increase in what you paid for the cabin. Until or if that does become Celebrity's policy the whole issue is irrelevant. I have a wonderful travel agent who watches prices and has got either a refund of part of my fare or an OBC for me more than once.

Terri

This is our first cruise in 17 years. We booked in July 2005 for our July 30, 2006 cruise to Alaska. The price has not changed one dollar. I have heard of something called "happy hour tuesdays" but have yet to figure that one out. Does anyone really think our cruise is going to go down in price? I really don't know how the pricing even works. We booked a great aft balcony cabin on the Infinity and I am very much looking forward to it so I guess I shouldn't complain.

CStorm: I wouldn't worry about the price of your cruise going down. You're going at the end of peak season for Alaskan cruises.

I watch prices before final payment date. We have switched to higher categories on two of our Princess cruises and ended up saving money over the categories we originally booked. Once we're into the penalty phase, I know that the cruiseline isn't obligated to do anything for us if the price goes down. Still, if I see a great price on our category after the final payment date, I wouldn't mind asking our TA to call the cruiseline to see if it will do something for us--such as an upgrade or an onboard credit.

Fortunately, our last two cruises have been last-minute bargains. I know we paid considerably less than most of our fellow passengers on the Century. It was a Christmas and New Year's cruise (Dec. 24, 2004-Jan. 2, 2005) that I booked just a few weeks before sailing date. The other was this year's Christmas cruise on a HAL ship, also booked just a few weeks before.

On past cruises I have watched prices only to see them go up. I tend to check the prices for my category each day when I am online.

On my last booking(made directly through Celebrity) I suddenly one day saw a price drop of $300pp in our category. I phoned Celebrity right away and the agent checked the price and said "yes, it's down and we can lower your price". Within 5 minutes this was done and I had an e-mail from Celebrity confirming the new price. It all couldn't have been easier and the agent couldn't have been more pleasant about the whole thing. It was a great start to the day!

I now know this price checking can pay off.

The fact is, the cruiselines do honour these price drops and why on earth shouldn't people ask for refunds when the cruiselines have made it clear that they're going to give them? I don't sit and check the rates every day to see if my price might drop but when I heard about a price drop on our last cruise (on these boards), you can bet I called and asked for them to honour the lower price - we saved over $300.

Quite honestly, I'm not too sure why the cruiselines do have that policy - they could make more money if when they lowered rates, they made the new price only available for new bookings. But as long as they're willing to do things this way, of course people are going to take advantage of the savings.

On most of our Celebrity cruises the price has increased after we booked it. I can only think of one time when it went down and that was for an early December Carribean Cruise on the Millennium. We chose to upgrade our cabin instead of getting a refund. That particular cruise was not up to Celebrity's usual standards, and I don't know if it was just a coincidence that our least favorite Celebrity cruise was also the cheapest. However, I would rather pay more and have a great cruise than pay less and have another similar experience.

It is understandable that people will be unhappy when they book early and then find out that they are not eligible for the last minute specials. But such price fluctuations are certainly not unique to the cruise industry. The same is true for airline and hotel and car rental prices.

For that matter, items frequently will go on sale at department stores or electronic stores after you paid a higher price for them. Whether or not you can get a refund will vary depending upon the policy of the company and the conditions of your original purchase.

You can drive yourself nuts if you constantly insist on comparing what you pay with what someone else pays. If you want to gamble and wait for the last minute cruise bargains, you may get a terrific deal (like those $400 prices last week on the Constellation's 8 night transatlantic cruise), or all the good cabins may be gone and you may be stuck with a cabin you don't like, or the cruise may be completely sold out so you end up with no cabin at all.

The discounts that I really do not understand are the ones given to people who reside only in certain locations, usually close to the departure pier. As long as someone is willing to pay the price they are asking for a cabin and the cruise line is not providing the transportation to get you there, what difference does it make to them where you live?

If a ship has enough cabins available where they are going to lower the price, they should offer upgrades to booked passengers starting with those who booked the earliest. They can then discount the remaining cabins.

Archived