Could Freestylers Survive on Celebrity??

karfest

Hubby and I LOVE freestyling- but in researching our next cruise, the itinerary and dates that fit us best are on Celebrity. It is a 9 day cruise which includes 2 formal nights. We used to enjoy dressing up and getting to know our waiters, etc.--BUT after 3 NCL cruises and a Princess personal choice cruise, I'm a little spoiled by not bringing formal clothes. We would also go back to tipping with envelopes and assigned seating and eating times. :(

Can it be done?? Can freestylers really survive on a traditional cruise. Has anyone lived to tell the tale???:confused:

BTW- I am looking at the Celebrity Mercury, which is older than any ship we've been on- any insight from past cruisers?

We took the Celebrity Galaxy out of Galveston last spring. And it was okay. The much touted Celebrity service was on a par with the service we have had on Norwegian. Quite frankly, the only thing we experienced that was better on Celebrity is the truffle on your pillow instead of a mint. We used to love the fact that we had the same tablemates every night because we got to know them a bit bitter than the people we dined with one night and never saw again. But after experiencing freestyle, we were quite willing to give that up in favor of meeting lots of new people and dining when we wanted to. However, I think the itinerary is the biggie and we have taken Carvnival, RCL, Norwegian and Celebrity and have never had a bad cruise.

Karen,

I barely survived on Celebrity last year:rolleyes: I hated it.......I really did. Sailed on RCI also last year and disliked it also, tho not as much. There were more dining options on RCI (I had to sail on both for several reasons).

I love Freestyle......even tho I had a less then stellar experience last time on the Dawn, I am going back for another 11 nights:o The only other mid-line that I would go on would be Princess due to Personal Choice.

I am just too spoiled by FREEDOM:D

Hubby and I LOVE freestyling- but in researching our next cruise, the itinerary and dates that fit us best are on Celebrity. It is a 9 day cruise which includes 2 formal nights. We used to enjoy dressing up and getting to know our waiters, etc.--BUT after 3 NCL cruises and a Princess personal choice cruise, I'm a little spoiled by not bringing formal clothes. We would also go back to tipping with envelopes and assigned seating and eating times. :(

Can it be done?? Can freestylers really survive on a traditional cruise. Has anyone lived to tell the tale???:confused:

BTW- I am looking at the Celebrity Mercury, which is older than any ship we've been on- any insight from past cruisers?

We did it the opposite way, Celebrity (Zenith) first and then NCL Dawn. While we loved the Dawn, we definitely did not hate Celebrity. We enjoyed ourselves but I found it to be a little more "stuffy" than NCL. Just my opinion. I wouldn't rule out another Celebrity cruise (if the price was right)

Another point I'd like to add, Celebrity was our first cruise and since it was our honeymoon, we didn't get really involved with the onboard activities. On the Dawn, we got more involved in them and had a great time. I definitely liked Freestyle over Traditional dining but didn't hate Traditional.

If I understand the question correctly you are asking if freestyle could work on Celebrity or similar cruise line? My opinion and it is just that< not nearly as well. Those who cruise Celebrity and are true loyalists like the traditional dining, what the preceive as superior service, white glove treatment and yes a little snobbery there. This is not meant to knock Celebrity. I happen to enjoy sailing them in some ways, but the relaxed, layed back atmosphere, the tips being applied to the sign and sail card, the completely casual dress: these are not the features that impress Celebrity cruisers. About 3 months ago they had a poll on their board about dress codes and dining included formal nights. I don't remember the breakdown, but I can assure you at least 70% of those who responded love the tradional dining and the formal nights. NMNita

Our last cruise before we tried NCL was on the Horizon The ship was only a few months old and really nice. We had the early dinner seating at a table for 8. The other couples were always late for dinner or didn't show up at all. On the last night, when the tips were to be given, we sat at our table for 2 set for 8. That's how you beat the tipping. Getting dressed up doesn't mean a thing!

The food was great and the service first rate. Dressing up was a chore. I couldn't even sail on Celebrity now, I don't have enough dressy clothes and you know what, "Freestyle" has spoiled me.

We have been sailing on NCL in penthouses and that just suits us fine. Didn't have a butler on Celebrity, but do on NCL.

I can eat when I'm hungry or have dinner in our cabin.

We're taking my MIL with us this next cruise and she's used to the dressing up.

She keeps asking what to pack and we tell and she says, "Are you sure we don't have to get dressed up?" and we say, "Not if you don't want to!"

It would be extremely hard to change from the way we cruise now.

Happy Sailing,

Monty

We took the Celebrity Galaxy out of Galveston last spring. And it was okay. The much touted Celebrity service was on a par with the service we have had on Norwegian. Quite frankly, the only thing we experienced that was better on Celebrity is the truffle on your pillow instead of a mint...

Our experience with Celebrity as well. Lots of hype, but it's a mass-market cruise line like all the others except for the pretentiousness. The lack of dining options for the evening meal was stifling.

We have cruised on the Dawn twice (2003 and 2004) and the Celebrity Zenith (May 2005) to Bermuda. We enjoyed all three of our cruises. However, we definitely preferred the freestyle dining over the traditional dining on Celebrity. We love to be able to enjoy dinner at our schedule; not forced to eat at 6:00 or 8:30. Also, if my wife and I wanted a private dinner, a table for two is never a problem with freestyle.

A comparison of the two ships is unfair, since the Zenith is an older ship, half the size of the Dawn. The lack of balconies on the Zenith was a big negative in our view. We have never sailed on the larger Celebrity ships like the Constellation, which is more like the Dawn. We certainly would try the Constellation in the future, if the opportunity arose.

Rick and Lisa

Probably what bothered us most about Celebrity traditional cruising is the excess luggage needed. We actually packed more for a 7 day cruise on the Zenith than for a 10 day on the Dawn (and this was in Feb. out of NY, needing some heavier clothes) Husband needed suit and sport jacket and dress shoes for an 'X" cruise and I needed extra dress shoes and dressy outfits, which all added another suitcase.

We always cruise with our own 'group' (2-5 couples) so we enjoy the company at dinner but it's nice to know you have a reserved table every night at the same time without making reservations and deciding with our 'group' where and what time we'll be eating. Too much planning on NCL. It's also nice to have the same serving staff at dinner on an 'X" ship and we're able to build a rapport with them.

Although I prefer NCL freestyle, and you can get past the extra formal wear, you should have a great time on a Celebrity ship.

Hello Karen, my husband & I are also hooked on "freestyle", but we had always wanted to do a TransAtlantic cruise, and liked the itinerary on the Celebrity Century the best (more W. Med Ports) last Oct. We absolutely LOVED the attention we got, plus it was also the longest cruise we had taken to date and LOVED that as well! It was 17 days and felt like an endless paradise of pampering and fun! We did book a sky suite and actually had a butler (haha!) for the 1st time ever. It was just wonderful!

But, I did manage to get away with lots of black on black, reusing dressy skirts/pants & gowns with interchangable tops & jackets. PLUS we did Alternative dining on one of the Formal nights and dressed a little more comfortably, so it worked out fine! Before "freestyle" my husband would always rent a tux, but since then we just don't go all out anymore. It is much easier to pack, and alot less stress about getting ready for specific times, etc!!! NCL & Princess have managed to find a wonderful flexibility that other more traditional lines have not. But -- I can still enjoy both. I just prefer the freestyle now, and will try to find a ship/itinerary that I like, and if not - we do the more formal thing.

One thing I would never do is wear anything other than formal attire on the specified formal nights on a Celebrity cruise. It really isn't fair to the others (like me once) who want the whole experience of "dress-up" and make believe, because I think that is part of what really got us all hooked on cruising in the first place, isn't it???? So I wouldn't want to ruin it for someone else.

ttyl,

Charbie

Have sailed both the Millennium and Constellation in the past year. They are beautiful, and food and service were excellent.

Yes we did the formal nights and it's certainly doable. But freestyle is more relaxing. What I liked least about the formal nights was that after dnner you are expected to remain in formal attire, and my shoes kill me after awhile, and I am longing for my cmfortable sandals.

In January on the Constellation I told my husband as we were rushing to get dressed for the 6 PM seating, "I am missing freestyle right now!"

Bottom line is I prefer the ease of freestyle, but would certainly sail X again if the price were right.

Absolutely - in fact you can have a great time. We all did before Freestyle:)

Don't compare rather enjoy the benefits of traditional. It might be nice for a change to get to know your wait staff (hopefully they are good:rolleyes: ). To enjoy one more time the singing wait staff, different menus from NCL, dressing up, and not having to make choices.

All that said given a choice I would still take Freestyle. But it might be time now for me to try another traditional cruise. If I was cruising with a large group it might be easier then getting everyone to agree on where and when to eat.

If you in fact enjoy Freestyle and have only sailed on the Sun another NCL ship as suggested is a great option.

Thanks to Everyone!! I knew I would get some great answers and ideas from everyone:D

I REALLY like the itinerary- now I have to convince hubby that he will like taking his suit, ties, and dress shoes. I'll have to see if the formal dresses still fit.

Before I seriously decide to do this, I'll spend some time on the Celebrity board just to get a "feel" for it. Their deck plans and categories look very foreign to me so I'll be looking to the experienced cruisers for help- hopefully they are as friendly as the NCL board!

(how did we ever take a vacation without the internet and this forum??)

Absolutely - in fact you can have a great time. We all did before Freestyle:)

Don't compare rather enjoy the benefits of traditional. It might be nice for a change to get to know your wait staff (hopefully they are good:rolleyes: ). To enjoy one more time the singing wait staff, different menus from NCL, dressing up, and not having to make choices.

All that said given a choice I would still take Freestyle. But it might be time now for me to try another traditional cruise. If I was cruising with a large group it might be easier then getting everyone to agree on where and when to eat.

If you in fact enjoy Freestyle and have only sailed on the Sun another NCL ship as suggested is a great option.

We did enjoy it especially the dressing up part, but that was before. Many of us have become so inthrawled with resort casual we don't want to lug the formal stuff with us, not to mention staying dressed up all evening. You haven't tried it for awhile, we have done it twice in the past 2 plus years. I think Shoreguy it is time you book Celebrity or HAL or RCCL, etc. Then come back and tell us how you feel. LOL Before freestyle we split our cruises up and looked, first for itinerary, then price. Now it is hard to opt for anything other than NCL. I need to get out of this pattern. As a TA I need to be able to compare lines, but I just can't. NMNita

I have not "gone back yet" but I remember the Celebrity Mercury as my very favourite cruise so far. The food is by far the best I have had on any cruise line. If you really want to avoid formal nights, eat at the buffet. But I have found lately that "formal" isn't nearly so formal as it used to be. On the Princess last year, many people were bordering on casual at formal nights.

Has the Mercury been updated at all? Any new restaurants added? I would definitely do it again. I'm sure you'll survive.

Hi I have sailed the Summit twice now and really love it. However, I am looking for something less "traditional." I am strongly considering NCL (Jewell) for an upcoming Feb 07 cruise. From my research I think the differences would be:

Summit - less eating options, much more formal, fewer families (including kids), older passengers, much more sedate. Very good service and food.

I also love freestyle/anytime dining on Princess and NCL, and I think I would have a hard time going back to set dining times -- although I must say that this would depend on the table/waiter/tablemates we got, I have had both good and bad of all three in the past and it can really make a difference in your dining experience. But last time we were on Celebrity, a couple of years back, we had the options of ordering room service from the daily menus during regular meal hours. Those things tend to change so I'm not sure if it is still an option, but if so, you could always have a private dinner in your cabin on one or both of the formal nights. Also, we have sailed the Mercury and we loved it, it was our favorite Celebrity ship (we have also been on Zenith and Infinity.)

We sailed on the Mercury last year and I just loved the ship and the crew. We have been on quite a few lines and we did notice that the attention to service and details was superioir. As an example, we had just bought a new camera and was having some trouble with it. I told the guy at the internet center and he gave us a lesson on our camera and made sure we were good to go before we got off the ship at the first port... I was impressed!

I heard that the food was a cut above the other Mass lines. Although there were certainly no complaints from us I just did not see much of a difference than the other lines. I did absolutley see a difference in the way passangers dress. What they called casual night was what you would consider semi-formal on other ships. We did enjoy the other passangers, but yes some were a bit stuffy for a cruise! I just dont know that freestyle would be well accepted on Celebrity, most passangers are return guests and like the tradition.

We loved the Mercury, but we dont have any objection to dressing it up a notch. If the casual atmosphere appeals to you, you will see differences. We were succeesful with our new camera and I have tons of pictures of the Mercury on Webshots..... The link is on my homepage that you can get to by clicking on my name.

We just returned from the Celebrity Constellation. We love the Dawn and free style, but had no problem going back to traditional dining. The dressing up was not really a big deal. We had a 9 day cruise with 2 formal nights (both were on port days which was a bit of a pain), I did see though that many did not really dress on the informal (which are actually semi-formal) and did not see anyone turned away from the dining room.

I felt that the service was on par with NCL and I personally thought the food better on the Dawn. Evening available food was strange. I usually skip dessert at dinner and have dessert later. On Celebrity after dinner, you can get pizza and pasta, but there are no desserts available. Believe me, I searched desperately for a cookie!

As far as tipping, you have the option of signing your tips to your onboard account. They then give you a voucher to put into the tip envelope. At least that was on the Constellation, don't know if all the ships do it.

If you have any questions, I'll try to help. The boards were friendly enough and usually answered any questions I had. While we prefer NCL, we'd cruise X again if the price or itinery were right.

After all, I've never met a cruise I didn't like!

Archived