Fantasy Stabilizers

cloudydrms

I've been on several of the Fantasy class ships: Fascination, Inspiration, Imagination. I just booked 6 weeks ago on the Sensation and, you guessed it, have been switched to the Fantasy. So, what do I do, but start looking at reviews of the Fantasy. One thing that I've noticed is a preponderance of people saying the shipped swayed a lot. I wonder is this because they haven't been on Fantasy class ships before or does it rock more than the other Fantasy class ships? This is of great concern to me as I am definitely prone to seasickness. Makes me sick just to think about it. LOL. But I love to cruise and take all the precautions. It does make me a little wary to think about it swaying more than the other cruises. (Although nothing could have been worse than my trip on the Triumph in a North Atlantic storm. I thought I'd die, but we won't go there.)

Any thoughts on this?

Cindy

We were on our first cruise on Fantasy last Nov. I found it smooth after the first night crossing the gulf stream. You can find someone saying that about every ship in the fleet on this website if you search ship by ship. Everyone perceives movement differently and different sized ships will not feel exactly the same. My DH was active duty Navy and he says the North Atlantic is much worse than anthing we felt on the Fantasy. So, I'd say, do what you need to do to avoid motion sickness and have a great time. I myself use ginger and non drowsy dramamine.

I have been on the Fantasy twice. Once on Empress deck and once on Verandah deck. Only felt a little movement the first night. Nothing drastic.

And we were booked again on the Fantasy for 09/17/06. Now we need to wonder if the problems with the Sensation are resolved

Enjoy your cruise

Oliveoyle

Granted we were in the Pacific (and Pacific comes from the Latin word for "tranquil") on Ecstasy. The ride was ultra smooth.

The most rocking the ship did was when it was anchored in Avalon harbor. You could really feel the tenders. But once we were under way and the stabilizers took effect (the ship needs to be moving for them to work) it was smooth as glass.

We were on the Fantasy 3/26/06 and I will say the rocking/swaying on this cruise was the worst we have experienced. Didn't really make any sense either since the seas were relatively calm. After the second day you got used to it, but it was noticeable.

• 12 years later...

If the Fantasy moves again this trip like it did last trip, I will never again book on it again. I am going on the Fantasy for the convienience. I live near Mobile, Al. Friends just came off and were all sick for days. The reason I'm on this post is I'm trying to see if the Fantasy even has stabilizers. Praying for calm seas. We leave out tomorrow, 11/11/18.

58 minutes ago, guapotims said:

If the Fantasy moves again this trip like it did last trip, I will never again book on it again. I am going on the Fantasy for the convienience. I live near Mobile, Al. Friends just came off and were all sick for days. The reason I'm on this post is I'm trying to see if the Fantasy even has stabilizers. Praying for calm seas. We leave out tomorrow, 11/11/18.

Just out of curiosity what prompted you to reactivate a 12-year-old thread? 

• Like 1

Yes, the Fantasy has stabilizers.  Stabilizers require ship speed to be effective, and with the slower cruising speeds of today's itineraries, they tend to be less effective than in the past, to a degree.

Also know that stabilizers do not stop a ship from rolling.  Stabilizers actually require some roll motion before they will react.  Stabilizers are designed to slow rolling motion down, not really to reduce the amount of rolling.  The direction of the seas in relation to the ship's course, the period of the seas in relation to ship's speed, the wind speed and direction in relation to the seas and the ship's speed and direction will all have effects on how effective stabilizers are in smoothing out rolling.

On 11/10/2018 at 9:30 PM, canes20 said:

You had to spend more time finding this old thread when  you could have just asked your question. Love Fantasy going on her again in April.

No, actually I just got curious and did a google search and it popped up. Dates of posts are somewhat irrelevant in this case. I just got off the Fantasy today 11/17/18. It was only my second cruise, both were on the Fantasy. First one, everyone seemingly was complaining of being seasick. My wife and I didn't enjoy our trip as much as we could have if the ship wasn't swaying all day and night. I was hoping that it was simply bad weather and not because of it being an older hull design or perhaps not being properly equipped.On this trip, it swayed and moved nearly all six days, but not as bad as my last trip. I still think I will try a larger ship next time as I have heard they are better about not swaying. Many who were on my first trip also said the other ships they were on didn't sway like this one.

You seem upset that someone should ask questions about an older ship when it is they who are spending their own money and do not want to be sick during the sailing. 

Here today's (11/17/18) replies about swaying:

For anyone who has made it home yet, is it just me? Or do you feel like you’re still moving? Lol #RockInTheBoatAtHome! lol #StillinCruiseMode! 🚢😎

Comments
PetShipping Ronnie Squires
 🤣 I asked my wife the same thing 🤣
Patty Jo Jones
 No wonder...that ship rocked and rolled the entire trip...last night was the calmest it had been.
Brandon Michael Prine
 Yeah, they were BOOKIN IT! and I was walking around with my drank, oh lawd! Lol

Clark Tims

Lauren Monforton
Didn’t get motion sick the entire cruise. Got back home and now I’m sick.

Brandon Michael Prine
I didn’t get sea sick at all either, but I feel dizzy and feel like I’m still moving lol
Clark Tims
Write a reply...

Vanessa Rusby Carver
 It was so bad for me in cozumel!!

Brandon Michael Prine
 Oh girl, not me! I walked all over that town and got free tequila shots for everything I bought! Lol

· Reply · 5h
Clark Tims

Rachel Whitton Black
I'm Still just a swaying.

Diane Stanley
 I've said that all day..😱😂😂😂

On 11/10/2018 at 9:20 PM, NavarreCruiser said:

Just out of curiosity what prompted you to reactivate a 12-year-old thread? 

I've seen a lot of posters get chastised for starting a new thread instead of using search to find their answers.  I guess this is what happens when people actually search.  The OP threw me for a second when they said that their cruise had been transferred from Sensation to Fantasy.  That didn't make sense. Then I looked at the date.  😂😂😂

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...