RCCL lost our luggage ... need some help

Hi, I posted in a different area but someone suggested i post here. My boyfriend and i just came back from our first cruise on explorer of the seas, but all three pieces of our luggage weren't so lucky.

All three pieces of our luggage are still lost, more then 24hrs later.

I'm looking for advice from anyone who's been in a similar situation? I've done everything by the book in terms of filling out the tags we were supposed to, claiming them lost etc.

Is there anything i can do other then hope they are found and be patient until they are? I'm really disappointed so far in how the RCCL reps have responded to my concerns... sorry but "this happens" isn't really want i want to hear as reassurance.

This was our first cruise. First my individual luggage was damaged when it left in my room now it's just plain missing (along with my boyfriend's luggage).

Any advice would be helpful. BTW, i foolishly didn't buy insurance.

go figure. :(

Leksi

Your three pieces of luggage were in the hall by midnight and did not make it off the ship?

Keep good detailed notes of who you speak with, title, date and time. Start going up the food chain of customer service. Ask for a Supervisor and if not happy go to a Manager, if not happy continue on. Ask that ONE rep be assigned to resolve your situation and contact them daily. Did you use a TA? If so, they need to get involved too. Get FAX numbers and send a return receipt letter describing your efforts and the lack of results.

Good Luck

Where did you disembark? Once in all of our past cruises, one of our bags was misplaced. (I actually believe someone else took it by mistake and then brought it back) This was in Miami where RCCL, I was told, does not have control of the baggage handlers. I filed a missing luggage report and kept a copy. I flew home to Dallas and waited. I kept calling and sending emails to RCCL and finally two days later they found my bag. I was informed that it would be arriving COD. I asked why, they told me it was because I had not filed a missing bag report. After I faxed them a copy they sang a different tune. They sent me an apology, a check to cover the cost of shipping the bag, two $500 credits for towards our next cruise and credits for the post excursion we missed while looking for my bag. I didn’t ask for any of this all I wanted was my bag and that’s all I asked for. My advice is to call to the 800 number, email Royal Caribbean and don't stop until you get your luggage. Be nice but be persistent.

Did you retreive the luggage after the cruise in the holding area or did you have RCCL take it to the airport? When did you last see your luggage?

My sister's boyfriend had his luggage lost/stolen at the pier BEFORE their cruise and RCCL was fabulous about it. Not only did they thoroughly investigate everywhere it could have been, but they also gave him a tux for the duration of the cruise, reimbursed him for the clothing he had to buy in port and later.......... about 3 wks after the cruise they got a nice check to cover the rest of the losses. (I think it was a couple hundred $$ on the ship and a $600 check after they got home.

And no.....they did NOT have trip insurance of any kind! This was all from RCCL.

(edited to add.....by the way, they never did find the missing luggage)

explorer of the seas is the ship we got off on april 2 2006. we cleared customs by 7:00am as we were part of the first group of ppl with beige tags.

we had our bags packed with both the royal caribbean blue and white tags and also the beige colour tags by midnight like we were instructed to do so.

when we got through customs we waited for our luggage in the area they told us to for 2.5 hrs. we waited for an hour before finding a RC rep who told us to keep waiting as more bags were coming.

1.5 hrs after that we stated getting concerned we'd miss our flight. we checked all the baggage areas and left.

All three pieces of luggage were lost somewhere from our room and the luggage holding place on the ship.

i've called RCCL three times now. I just keep being told to wait. All of our things were in the luggage. I feel helpless and don't know what else to do.

Any help would be appreciated.

Looks like you did everything right. It is so zoo-y post cruise and the staff is mostly concentrating on the incoming passengers. Did you fill out the forms in the luggage hold where it went missing, and your distress was observed by RCCL employees?

If I were you, I would keep calling RCCL until you get a knowledgeable sympathetic associate on the other end. Be persistant. Get names and get answers.

I am sorry your first cruise ended this way. I hope this gets resolved for you soon.

Your luggage might have been mixed with the incoming luggage for the next cruise.

This is NOT a common occurrence, however, but it did happen last October to our ENTIRE ship, because of the strike in the Barcelona harbor and the fact that the ship was delayed so long. The outgoing and incoming luggage got mixed.

So, keep in touch with RCI's customer service. They should find them or pay you for them. Did you buy travel insurance?

This is NOT a common occurrence, however, but it did happen last October to our ENTIRE ship, because of the strike in the Barcelona harbor and the fact that the ship was delayed so long. The outgoing and incoming luggage got mixed.

Did you buy travel insurance?

Gosh Peggy, how did I miss that part of your horrible experience in Barcelona :confused: What a mess! I hope your hubby will let you book another cruise, however I do understand his hesitation...

No, the OP did not purchase insurance :eek:

And to the OP, good luck, I sincerely hope your luggage shows up, at least the cruise lines didn't lose 30 million bags in a year, unlike the airlines.

###

explorer of the seas is the ship we got off on april 2 2006. we cleared customs by 7:00am as we were part of the first group of ppl with beige tags.

we had our bags packed with both the royal caribbean blue and white tags and also the beige colour tags by midnight like we were instructed to do so.

Why did you also have the blue and white tags on? Were these the same tags you had put on to get ON the ship? We always take any tags (other than the personal ID tags) off of the bags, this including the embarkation and airline tags, prior to putting them out for the night. If you had the embarkation tags still on, with the zoo that turns into during disembarkation they could have been put in the wrong place. Or they got set out with the light blue color instead of the beige. You can ask them if they can check to see if your bag is still on the ship.

Yep, PhoenixCruiser, that was one of the "small" problems in the whole "Fiasco of the Seas" scenario. Kept us on the ship an ADDITIONAL 4 hours!!! We finally cleared at 5PM (should have docked at 5:30 AM), and we got off at 9PM!!

Now that I see the OP had the blue and white tags on the luggage, I am almost positive they got mixed with the incoming luggage. Someone will spot the wrong sailing date on them, and the whole thing will come full circle.

OP, keep us posted, and good luck!

Sorry this has happened to you, but me thinks your luggage is enjoying a b2b cruise! :D

If there is a positive side, at least it was on the end on the cruise and not lost before the cruise leaving you stranded with nothing to wear!!:eek:

As much as everyone else has said, give it time, your luggage will reappear.

Why was the blue and white tag was left on the bag. As i recall they ask you to remove all other tage from airline and them when placing the new color tag on them. I bet your bag went back on the ship with tha on there.

1.5 hrs after that we stated getting concerned we'd miss our flight. we checked all the baggage areas and left.

Did you fill out a lost baggage claim or not before leaving the area?? I hoep you did file something with them saying your bags were not there.

All three pieces of luggage were lost somewhere from our room and the luggage holding place on the ship.

i've called RCCL three times now. I just keep being told to wait. All of our things were in the luggage. I feel helpless and don't know what else to do.

Any help would be appreciated.

Keep calling and asking about the bags, as one said move up the food chain as needed. Tell them you also have the old room color tage (blue and white) left on the bag and what room it was for, they may find your bags are now left there with new people who wonder where they came from. I do hope you do get at least one or more bags back at some point.

the stateroom attendant told us to put the tags on the bags (we had taken off all the old ones) along with the beige tags. We didn't know any better (since it was out first time). Next time we're just going to take our bags with us... if we ever travel again.

I called again today... person #4 this time told me they "think they may have located them" but it will take another 72 hrs before they can confirm as all the bags left behind are still being processed.

Thank you to everyone who's responded tho. Your reassurances are very appreciated.

Leksi

You were probably sitting around waiting with my parents/brother/daughter. They also just got off the Explorer and their luggage was also lost. Apparently they were told they've had problems with people cutting the tags off after they're placed outside the rooms. They did eventually get their luggage but they waited around since their flight wasn't until late afternoon. Their luggage did not have the beige tags on when they were finally located.

I hope it is located soon. I can't imagine losing all of that. Surely it will show up sometime.

i cannot believe the lack of customer service at RCCL. 4 days have passed and not a single phone call from them.

I've called everyday... and just keep being told to call back or wait for them to call me.

I'm so frustrated. maybe I should start yelling. Being patient and calm on the phone doesn't seem to be helping me at all.

I just printed off our names and phone number on full pages to put into the our luggage just in case this happens. That way if they open it up, they will be able to tell who to call so that they can to return it to the correct people.

I am so sorry this happened to you.

Hi everyone,

Just thought i'd let everyone know they've located our luggage (all three pieces). I just got off the phone with one of the supervisors and he finally managed to confirm they had been located.

He could not confirm what happened to them, (and if the tags were still on the luggage) but said they would be picked up by the shipping company tonight... and should be delivered to us by Monday.

I plan on writing in a complaint but i'm soooo relieved to know they've located the luggage.

Leksi

What a frustrating time it has been for you.

To the previous poster. I do the same thing. I print a sheet( 8 1/2 x 11) with name, address, phone number and travel itinerary, and stick it INSIDE my luggage...just in case.

Marie

Hi everyone,

Just thought i'd let everyone know they've located our luggage (all three pieces). I just got off the phone with one of the supervisors and he finally managed to confirm they had been located.

He could not confirm what happened to them, (and if the tags were still on the luggage) but said they would be picked up by the shipping company tonight... and should be delivered to us by Monday.

I plan on writing in a complaint but i'm soooo relieved to know they've located the luggage.

Leksi

That's wonderful, leksi. I'm glad there's a happy ending here. I lost my luggage (rather it missed our flight!) coming home from the NOS last year so I can understand the feeling!

Could the supervisor at least confirm where the bags were found? It's a bit concerning that an entire stateroom's worth of luggage was misplaced.

Archived