Which ship hasn't had SOE upgrades?

LDinCT

Looking at the Ryndham or Statendam for summer. Want to make sure they both have the SOE upgrades, Explorations and Oasis. They do, right? Went on the Zaandam in March and really loved it. Can't get on for summer they have really limited availability for our dates. What is the difference between the R and S class? Thanks.

LDinCT

The four S class sisters are the oldest in the fleet. The R class cousins are a little larger, with three sets of elevators. Other than that the layout is the same. I think only the Maasdam hasn`t had her SOE updates yet. I`m sure someone will correct me if I am wrong

Are Ryndham and Statendam R or S? If they are old, do they look tired?

The Ryndam and the Statendam are S class ships ... the term "S-class" takes its name from the Statendam, herself, which was the first of the S-class vessels. The Statendam was launched in 1993, while the Ryndam is a bit younger. Both are FANTASTIC vessels and in OUTSTANDING condition. They do NOT look tired. Both have had the major SOE upgrades and are in pristine, beautiful condition. You can't go wrong with either. I, myself, will be on the Statendam again next year ... and I can hardly wait.

Thanks, what's your opinion on the Vista class. Was really trying to stick to R or S, but they have limited availability in Alaska this summer. Westerdam may be only ship available. Will I still like it? Loved the Zaandam, but I haven't heard great things about the Vista class.

We've now cruised on all three "classes" of HAL ships. Started on the Ryndam back when she first came out, honeymooned on her in 1998, did the Oosterdam in 2004, and just sailed on the Volendam this past February. I'd have to say we much prefer the S and R ships. We fell in love with the Volendam, as RevNeal promised, and would sail her again in a heartbeat. Not that we're going to turn down any good itinerary and/or cost combination but given the choice we'd go with an R class, then S, and finally Vista. We just like the feel of the "smaller" ships and are looking forward to our first Veendam experience next year. I can't recall ever being on a HAL ship that really looked tired or worn out. Toured the old Westerdam back in 1994 and maybe that was the closest. We were on the brand new Ryndam and were allowed to visit the Westerdam.....any ship would have suffered when compared to a ship that was only on it's fourth revenue sailing.

I was on the Ryndam just after she had the SOE upgrades. A beautiful ship. Would sail her again anytime, but next will be the Zaandam (last on her before the upgrades) and the Oosterdam.

I can't say about "every cabin" as I have only been in Veranda cabins or suites. But on the 4 that I have done since SOE was started, each has had the flat tvs and players.

I was on the Ryndam just after she had the SOE upgrades. A beautiful ship. Would sail her again anytime, but next will be the Zaandam (last on her before the upgrades) and the Oosterdam.

I can't say about "every cabin" as I have only been in Veranda cabins or suites. But on the 4 that I have done since SOE was started, each has had the flat tvs and players.

I was curious about your comment about the Zaandam, "last on her before the upgrades". My understanding (and according to the schedule) all the SOE upgrades are completed on the Zaandam, or did I misunderstand what you were saying?

bumping this up, because it's really important to me

Do the Vista ships have flat screen tv's and the dvd players in ALL cabins?

Do they have Explorations?

Thanks.

According to this schedule (pdf file) published by HAL, the Vista's (other than the Noordam) will not have flat-panel TVs and DVDs in all staterooms, and it seems some of the reviews here have acknowledged the lack of DVD player (other than in the suites). It further states that those three Vistas will retain the Library, Internet Center and Windstar Cafe.

According to this schedule (pdf file) published by HAL, the Vista's (other than the Noordam) will not have flat-panel TVs and DVDs in all staterooms, and it seems some of the reviews here have acknowledged the lack of DVD player (other than in the suites). It further states that those three Vistas will retain the Library, Internet Center and Windstar Cafe.

Correct ... as far as it goes. On the Oosterdam the TV in inside cabins is a CRT screen. On the Westerdam there was a DVD player in my SS suite, but the screen was a large CRT TV. Only on the Noordam are their flat panel screens and DVDs in every cabin.

Since the Sept 2005 update of that chart, however, it has been determined that the other 3 Vistas will undergo some significant upgrades that will bring them into conformity with the upgrades found on the Noordam. In other words, they're going to lengthen the aft passenger decks to provide more balcony cabins ... and, in effect, decreasing the size of the aft cabin balconies. At the time this major refit is being accomplished they will also swap out the internet center/java area and the Windstar Cafe for the Explorations Cafe and the Pinnacle Bar. The Library on the other 3 Vistas will also be slightly modified to bring it into conformity with the one on the Noordam, however not much will need to be done there.

I was curious about your comment about the Zaandam, "last on her before the upgrades". My understanding (and according to the schedule) all the SOE upgrades are completed on the Zaandam, or did I misunderstand what you were saying?

I didn't word it as artfully as I might have. I was on the Zaandam a couple of years ago, before the upgrades. I will be on her again in November and see the upgrades that are now in place.

Correct ... as far as it goes. On the Oosterdam the TV in inside cabins is a CRT screen. On the Westerdam there was a DVD player in my SS suite, but the screen was a large CRT TV. Only on the Noordam are their flat panel screens and DVDs in every cabin.

Since the Sept 2005 update of that chart, however, it has been determined that the other 3 Vistas will undergo some significant upgrades that will bring them into conformity with the upgrades found on the Noordam. In other words, they're going to lengthen the aft passenger decks to provide more balcony cabins ... and, in effect, decreasing the size of the aft cabin balconies. At the time this major refit is being accomplished they will also swap out the internet center/java area and the Windstar Cafe for the Explorations Cafe and the Pinnacle Bar. The Library on the other 3 Vistas will also be slightly modified to bring it into conformity with the one on the Noordam, however not much will need to be done there.

Thanks for the update. Has a schedule been announced for the upgrade of the other Vistas?

I have traveled on the Statendam four times. I was on her in 97 twice and I was on her in 2000 on the Mexican Rivera. I had my fourth experience on her in November as she did her last Hawaiian cruise out of San Diego. The SOS

improvements make her look like a brand new ship. FYI: The Statendam and the Volendam are my two favorites among many fine ships in the great HAL fleet.

So, the non-Vistas have the dvd players? It sounds like a stupid question and I couldn't even imagine that I would use the dvd player before we sailed on the Zaandam. But, the kids program only runs until 10 PM, so it was good for my 12 yr old and us to take a movie back to the cabin. Hard to get him to turn in at 10 when he's on vacation. Good way to wind down and relax at the end of the day. Thanks.

What are they going to do exactly to those aft balconies???? Those seem to be the most popular cabins on those ships!

They are favorites among those who really adore aft balconies or who want as much room outside as they have inside and don't care about people looking down on them from above. Given how few of them there are, however, I'd hesitate to say they're the most popular cabins aboard ship. If one has trouble with motion they most definitely are NOT the most popular.

As for what they're doing to the aft balconies on the 3 older Vistas ... they will make each smaller, thus allowing for more room to lengthen each subsequent deck above and to put in more cabins. On the Noordam it results in a narrower balcony, though still larger than those found on the port and starboard sides, and for a steeper "stair step effect" on the aft of the ship. It also creates more deck space abaft the pool on the aft lido deck.

As for what they're doing to the aft balconies on the 3 older Vistas ... they will make each smaller, thus allowing for more room to lengthen each subsequent deck above and to put in more cabins. On the Noordam it results in a narrower balcony, though still larger than those found on the port and starboard sides, and for a steeper "stair step effect" on the aft of the ship. It also creates more deck space abaft the pool on the aft lido deck.

Rev,

Do you know when they plan to do this? We are booked in 5186 and 87 on the Zuiderdam next January. According to the HAL SOE schedule, the Zuiderdam has been "done".

Color me confused.

Archived