south america shore excursion

GAJE

We are interested in HAL's excursion in Chile - "Puerto Montt: Off the Beaten Track - A Canopy Adventure". This is a zipline experience. If any of you have either done this or had conversations with any who have, I would appreciate your comments. I posted this thread on the SA board about a month ago with no response.

Thanks!

Betty

Either no one is reading this or there are few adventurous souls out there. With the numbers of cruisers who have been to SA, I would have thought SOMEONE would have tried the Canopy Adventure in Puerto Montt. If so, please share your experience!!

Thanks, Betty

We didn't do this excursion, but a youngish woman on our sailing did, and she was on crutches for the rest of the cruise. Fortunately, it was our final port before Valparaiso. The day we were in Puerto Montt was rainy off and on all day long, and from what I gathered in a quick conversation with her was that she and another man were not able to control their speed due to the wet conditions and they stopped really hard against a tree at the end of the zip line. I would have booked this excursion if it hadn't been described as it was because I actively tried to find a ziplining excursion on the internet and couldn't find it. In retrospect this is probably a good thing. :( I never saw the man, but he was injured as well from what the young woman told me. The bad thing was the young woman's mother was not in the best physical shape and was in a wheel chair. Their cabin was just across from ours.

I still would like to do it, but really make sure you know how to slow yourself down. ;)

jc

jc: Thank you for your response. That certainly provided food for thought!! Having only zip-lined once before, there are many 'skills' we have not acquired. How to stop on our own is a BIG ONE!! Any tips on that?? That first trip was fantastic and we were hoping for an even better one! However, spending the rest of the cruise on crutches or worse is not what we want to contemplate!!

Betty

Puerto Montt is not a tropical location. It has a temperate climate much like the Pacific Northwest of the USA. Rain is very common. You will not be in a tropical jungle on this trip.

Having been there, I would opt for a tour (private or through the ship) to see Lake Llanquihue, Osorno volcano, Puerto Varas, Frutillar and Petrohue Falls instead. These are unique sights for Puerto Montt. You can go zip-lining anywhere.

Puerto Montt is not a tropical location. It has a temperate climate much like the Pacific Northwest of the USA. Rain is very common. You will not be in a tropical jungle on this trip.

Having been there, I would opt for a tour (private or through the ship) to see Lake Llanquihue, Osorno volcano, Puerto Varas, Frutillar and Petrohue Falls instead. These are unique sights for Puerto Montt. You can go zip-lining anywhere.

I agree with Splinter. It is a most beautiful area with lots to see. We were very fortunate in that we had the most beautiful sunny, warm day whilst there and Carlos our guide said how lucky we were as it has a very wet climate.

I do know that some people on our cruise rode the rapids. They seemed to survive them alright as they were still moving about the next day.

Jennie

I think you all have convinced me to explore other excursions for Puerto Montt!! Your opinions and suggestions were welcomed and appreciated!! The rapids excursion description was interesting in that it says to dress warmly in layers and bring a swim suit and towel. Unless I was up for a 'polar bear' swim, that sounds a little contradictory!! We will probably pass that one up too.

Betty

I too agree with Splinter - there are lots of people at the gate that will love to take you on such a tour. We had an ex-pat from Chicago with a new van that would have held 3-4 couples, and there only ended up being 2 couples with him. It was a great excursion to all those places. Nancy

Archived