Is 11:10 too early to leave from FLL?

No, it's not. Just be sure you are in the first group off the ship. There will be a notice in the daily Compass about mid-week for all cruise only pax to go to the Guest Services desk to register their flight times. Earliest flight times get earliest off color tags. Taxi from port to airport is about 15 minutes.

The Freedom is sailing out of Miami. It's a 30-60 minute drive to FLL depending on traffic and your driver. A cab will run you about $60-$70.

A 11am flight is possible. You must be one on the first groups off the ship to pull that off though.

We have the same flight time for our return in a couple weeks. We know we can get white tickets which are the first color off the ship. If we couldn't I would never book a flight that early.

We also know that there is always a chance of missing a flight that early. Sometimes the ships don't even clear customs until 10:30.

I am also from upstate NY. You should look into Jet Blue and Air Tran. I have had really good luck with both airlines.

Bobbie

Yes, I even think an 11:10 flight out of Miami will be too early. I know some people have made flights that early but I would personally wait until the Freedom has sailed a little while and we see exactly how long it takes that many people to get off the ship.

Definitely factor in the extra time to get to FLL versus MIA and the fact that by the time you get to the airport in Ft. Lauderdale everybody coming off all the ships in Ft. Lauderdale will already be in line in front of you.

11:10am is too early. It will take at least 45 minutes to drive from Miami port to FLL.

We were on Enchantment 3 months ago (which sails out of Fort Lauderdale) and we made it to the airport at 10:40am and that is a 10 minute drive to the airport. We were the 3rd group off the ship. The first group was called at 10:00am.

Pick a flight after 12:30pm to be safe.

I would say if your ship debarks out of FLL then that would be fine but Miami I don't think so.

I have been on the Enchantment twice this year and both times I caught 11am flights. But that is totally different because the FLL port is just 10 minutes from the airport. We got off the ship (both times) at 8:15, then both times I had cleared customs and hailed a cab and got to the FLL airport by 8:45. No lines of any sort at FLL. I was sitting at the gate before 9am. But that was the Enchantment out of FLL.

DH & I just did the Radiance out of Miami and flew in and out of FLL. We did have an 11:10am return flight. We were off the ship at 7:30 so we had plenty of time to spare. With that being said....I totally agree with the comment about not knowing if the Freedom will dock early on a regular basis or not and how long it takes to disembark. Personally I would probably look at booking a flight after 12noon.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Cindy ;)

Southwest won't make you eat the whole ticket price if you miss the flight, but I would probably book a later flight and then when you arrive at the airport ask if you can get on an earlier flight, that way you'll have a confirmed seat.

Thanks everyone for the help. I should be one of the first groups off the ship, since I am a diamond, but this is a crown and anchor cruise so there will be many diamonds, and diamond+'s.

I really thought 11:10 was too early. I think the next flight leaves around 2PM. Southwest's schedule isn't our that far yet.

Unfortunately, Albany isn't serviced by Jet Blue or Air Tran.

Senator Chuck Schumer is trying to get Jet Blue in Albany. I sure hope so, it would be so much easier for Puerto Rico. I wouldn't have to drive to NYC.

Donna

Thanks everyone for the help. I should be one of the first groups off the ship, since I am a diamond, but this is a crown and anchor cruise so there will be many diamonds, and diamond+'s.

I really thought 11:10 was too early. I think the next flight leaves around 2PM. Southwest's schedule isn't out that far yet.

Unfortunately, Albany isn't serviced by Jet Blue or Air Tran.

Senator Chuck Schumer is trying to get Jet Blue in Albany. I sure hope so, it would be so much easier for Puerto Rico. I wouldn't have to drive to NYC.

Donna

Just a bit more info about flights out of Ft. Lauderdale. I tried to buy a transfer on the ship from the port of Maimi to ft. lauderdale airport and was denied by Rccl because my flight time was 12:25 PM. I was told that they couldn't sell me a transfer unless my flight was after 1 pm. They gave me beige colored tags which got me off the ship by 7:05. I think there was one or two groups that got off before me. I got my bags real quick and then went out side where I then took a cab which cost me $72 plus tip. I arrived around 8 am at the airport. Had I been able to buy the transfer it would have cost me $40 for my wife and I. Good luck in what ever you decide to do.

Have a great cruise,

JerryB

Archived