Are the Beds comfy?

babets

We are criusing on the Mariner in Dec 2006. We have an inside stateroom and the room is small from the pictures I have seen. I do not care as long as the bed will be comfortable. Anyone like to share their opinions? :D

Trutfully, not so much, BUT I am so dog gone tired at the end of the day and the rocking of the ship is so, 'smoothy' as my son says that I am out like a light as soon as my head hits the pillow. I have been known to need an Ambian to sleep but not on a ship, ever.

I think they are comfortable and so does my mom. We both suffer arthritis in our hips and I have it in my shoulder and it is never a problem on the ship. Most here think they are horrible, so guess Im in a minority on that. They use foam mattresses, which I love, and I sleep better on a ship than anywhere else, including at home on my expensive pillow top mattress.

We just got off the Mariner 3 weeks ago and that would be a big NO :(

My back and neck hurt almost every morning and we were using pool towels and the rolled up bedspread to prop up our pillows. I think the only thing that helped me sleep was that I brought my down comforter. I packed that sucker in a Pack-Mate and was so happy that I did :D

Have you ever slept on a kids bunk bed? similair to that experience. But, as one poster said, your usually too tired for it to be too much of an issue. Request a foam from your room stewart when you first arrive. i hear the go quickly. Enjoy it and don't worry too much about the beds:)

We haven't ever had a problem sleeping onboard but I wouldn't say they are the most comfortable. 2 of the couples we traveled with HATED their beds. Said they were too hard. One of the women actually slept in the chair! Good news is new bedding is on the way. Don't think it will be in place for our Brilliance cruise in Jan. '07 though because it is right before drydock.

DH and I both have problems with the beds. The mattresses are not so thick foam on a hard platform. I used to take our own queen size mattress pads that I folded in half lengthwise for a double pad. (Yes! PackMates!).

Last cruise I asked for the eggcrate pads, and put two on my bed. Very comfy.

No, I'm not the princess and the pea, but I sleep VERY soundly and don't move much, so I wake up with the whole side of my body "asleep" with those hard platforms.

I hope the rollout of the new beds and bedding reaches the Monarch by this October.

Take a mattress pad with you just in case they are out of the eggcrates. They are becoming popular!

In my opinion, the beds are not very comfy. First of all, they are very short. My husband is only 6 feet, and his feet were hanging over the edge. The mattress was very thin and soft, but underneath was a very hard board (not a springy box spring). I have a bad back, which has been fine for a year, and sure enough, it started acting up on Day3. I know it was the mattress. On the good side, the bedding is soft and clean; you will be soooo tired by the time you get into bed, that you will most likely fall right asleep; and there is always Tylenol PM or Ambien if you need extra help.

Beds are not very comfortable at all...but they will be more comfortable when they are updated starting with Freedom of the Seas next month, and then to the rest of the ships over the next year. Maybe you will be lucky and the Mariner will get the update by Dec. Good luck and happy cruising!!!

We are criusing on the Mariner in Dec 2006.

We'll be joining you on this cruise ! I signed in on the roll call and also on the Meet & Mingle, but so far haven't had any responses. Has your group signed up for the Meet & Mingle yet ? Hope we can get the required number to qualify for the party, and hope to see you at the roll call

We did the Enchantment 04, Voyager 05, and LOVED the beds. My DH said he would love to take one and bring it home. Never had a problem sleeping or waking up with aches and pains. We are doing the Empress July 06 and Explorer Oct 06, and hopes the ships have the same mattresses.

Your are on a cruise ships for goodness sake. Traveling to some exotic location. IMHO, I'd be comfortable sleeping on a deck chair as long as I didn't have to get up and go to work the next day!:D

Seems like a valid question to me. I don't know about you, but if I am sleeping on a very uncomfortable bed and wake up with back pains or neck pains everyday, it would kinda ruin my vacation.

Hmmm, maybe I'm spoiled after sleeping on Navy foam mattresses in the "rack" (as we referred to our bunks) for many years, but on Grandeur last year, and Mariner last week, I slept like I was on cloud 9. I have upper back problems when I sleep on my mattress at home, but the gentle rocking when out to sea moves me around just enough to be very comfortable. Just my two cents.

Hmmm, maybe I'm spoiled after sleeping on Navy foam mattresses in the "rack" (as we referred to our bunks) for many years, but on Grandeur last year, and Mariner last week, I slept like I was on cloud 9. I have upper back problems when I sleep on my mattress at home, but the gentle rocking when out to sea moves me around just enough to be very comfortable. Just my two cents.

Wish my hubby felt the same. He was on the Kennedy and the Enterprise and swears that cruise ship mattresses are worse and shorter... :rolleyes:

Our TA called ahead for an eggcrate foam to be already on our bed when we get there, we'll see if it helps.

We are criusing on the Mariner in Dec 2006. We have an inside stateroom and the room is small from the pictures I have seen. I do not care as long as the bed will be comfortable. Anyone like to share their opinions? :D

Which Dec cruise? We just switched from GOS to MOS for Dec 10th

They're not comfortable. Just a mattress on a board, like sleeping on the floor. There is no way I could be comfortable on one of those beds at home.

That said, I sleep like a baby on a cruise. It may be that I'm really tired at the end of each day, and I'm really, really relaxed. I hit the bed and I'm out like a light.

Wish my hubby felt the same. He was on the Kennedy and the Enterprise and swears that cruise ship mattresses are worse and shorter... :rolleyes:

Our TA called ahead for an eggcrate foam to be already on our bed when we get there, we'll see if it helps.

Do you know if you have to call your TA or can you request it directly from RCL to put the egg crates on your bed? Thanks for any info.:o

Archived