Considering the Mercury...Help Me!

karfest

Hubby and I have become dedicated freestyle/personal choice people, but I found the perfect itinerary for us on a 9 day Celebrity Mercury cruise. My friends on the NCL board assure me that, yes, I will enjoy Celebrity even though I'll be back to "traditional" cruising.

Soooo.... I hopped over to this board to find out all I could about the Mercury...guess I picked a bad time for that:eek: Friends of ours picked up the Norovirus on AirLingus to Ireland- sicker than dogs for a week, never left their hotel. (an NO compensation from the airline)

Anyway, I am asking for assistance in choosing a cabin because the categories and deck plans are quite different than what I have experienced. We have cruised in everything from a lowest category inside to a full suite. I am considering a family suite this time, possibly a verandah or just an ocean view. We do like to spend some time in the cabin (3 sea days) but the "perks" aren't a big deal for us. I see the family suites are GTY only- does anyone know why? Any suggestions or tips?

Also, our last 3 cruises were booked through a large internet agency. In checking rates, I see that the Celebrtiy site and other internet agencies have all the same rates. Am I better off booking through Celebrity or is there a trick to finding better rates elsewhere?

Whew- sorry for the lengthy post, but switching forums is like moving to a foreign country for me:D

Thanks in advance for all the help!!

Am sure others will add their knowledge, but here is what I know. My husband and I just came off the Mercury and had an Oceanview 04 cabin on the 9th deck. The oceanview cabins on decks 8 & 9 are the same size and configuration as the standard veranda cabins...just minus the balcony. The windows in the OV's of these two decks are larger than the OV's on the lower decks. I think you could fairly call them picture windows. The bed(s) and love seat are placed along one of the inside walls. On the lower decks the bed(s) is placed under the window. There's a chair instead of love seat. We found there was plenty of storage. The bathroom was user friendly and the shower quite generous. For our sailing, the range of prices within the regular OV categories was very close....only $10 pp extra per higher category. Unless there's a specific reason to stay low, my opinion is that the 05 and 04 configuration is preferable. We used an internet only firm to purchase our cruise. The price of the cruise was the same everywhere I looked, but we were able to get our travel insurance as part of the package.

The only way to get a better price is to book into a group.

Search the different agencies to find added perks.

With a group, amenities are offered by the cruise line

and the agencies pass these amenities on to the

consumer.

These amenities can range from champagne to free upgrades

and spa cresdits.

Reggie;)

If you book a sky suite, make sure you get one on the sky deck. The verandahs are huge. We had a sky suite on the sky deck last year on the Galaxy and loved the verandah. This year we are on the Mercury and booked another sky suite on the sky deck. We leave on the 17th of April.

Fynn

Sorry to butt in on this thread, but I've got a sky deck/sky suite booked for the Mercury to Alaska in September and wanted to ask Flynn what his opinion on the different veranda configurations is. We had one of the cut-out types on the starboard side booked and I changed it to the full sized square type on the port side. Some folks have said that you get a better view with the cut-out. What's your take on this Flynn? And please give us a review when you get back! (Thanks for letting me hijack your thread, karfest :rolleyes: )

If you book a sky suite, make sure you get one on the sky deck. The verandahs are huge. We had a sky suite on the sky deck last year on the Galaxy and loved the verandah. This year we are on the Mercury and booked another sky suite on the sky deck. We leave on the 17th of April.

Fynn

Before you take Fynn's advice, please understand that while these Sky Deck minisuites have very large balconies, they are uncovered, and lack privacy. While you don't have a thousand people looking down on you as on Princess Grand class minisuites, there is still a publicly available area above you from which you can be observed. This is purely a matter of personal choice, but on Mercury and Galaxy, I personally strongly prefer the sky suites with smaller but covered and private balconies.

Juneau,

Our sky suite on the Galaxy was one that was cut out. The only way we could see forward, we had to look around the privacy wall between the balconies. We were in cabin 1231 and another couple we were traveling with had cabin 1233. The way these decks laid out, we could visit with each other. This year, my DW and I are traveling alone so I picked the larger verandah. The deck is partially covered by the same amount as the verandahs on the penthouse deck. Hope this helps.

Fynn

We are booked on the Galaxy for the Holiday cruise and have a full deck suite on the Sky Deck. Yes, most of the deck is open to the deck above, but from what I have been told, it is not a deck that is used by many people. We are looking forward to the proximaty to the pool and nightclub and the semi private sunning area (no having to look for an open lounge chair).

Karfest,

We Just Sailed On Mercury In A Sky Suite On Sky Deck. (yes--on One Of The Bleach Cruises, But I Won't Go There) I Loved The Location (sky Deck) Very Convient To Everything.

We Were On The Starboard Side With A Cutout Facing Front. The Downside To This Is If You Walk To Your Railing You Can See Your Neighbors Deck.(on One Side)

If You Have A Deck Without A Cut Out You Can't See Neighbors But You Do Get A Tunnel Effect.

Like Others Have Said-you Have As Much Of An Overhang For Privacy As You Would In Ss On Lower Deck.

I Hope This Didn't Confuse You More!!!

We sailed on the Mercury last summer to Alaska, and found it to be positively enchanting. Our staff was super friendly, the cruise directors were very fun, the entertainment was quite well done, and the food was marvelous. Our teenagers loved the variety of activities, even though there were very few young people aboard. We had ocean-view cabins, and couldn't believe how large the window was to sit and contemplate the scenery. I would love a balcony next time, but last year booked too late to get what I wanted. That's okay...I am thinking that my 2007 cruise will again be on Mercury to the Mexican Riviera. Enjoy!

We were in a CC category cabin on deck 10. The cabin was small for us, and it is a smaller sf anyway...I don't think a larger balcony would have solved the concern entirely since I think these cabins have limited storage and we could only utilize the small sofa for misc. items. If I knew now what I knew then, I'd have booked a larger cabin just to feel like I wasn't boxed in with clutter.

...I managed to survive though.... :D

Hi Karen. Haven't been on the boards for a long time. DW and I are looking for a trip for our 10th in December. I had a blast with Mr. Tractor on the Jewel in November. My kid of people. We had the kids so only I could get wild with the bunch, but I seem to manage OK!! I am thinking of taking the southern caribbean sailing on the new Crown Princess on the 12-9-06 sailing out of san juan. I just can't go back to assigned seating dinning after the freestyle cruises I was just on. I hope you, Randy and the girls are going great. We are heading down on friday to Venice FL with the family for spring break. Rented a house this year on the beach instead of fighting the crowds on the seas. Good luck to you and see ya around.

WOW:D

Thanks to all of you for your information- this board is the absolute best place to get the "real" scoop! Now I have to print the deck plans and start narrowing it down. I tried cruise compete and have several quotes that are all the same but there are a few that offer free insurance.

Snowmo! Good to hear from you. I wish I could go on a FOMT cruise but they always seem to be during Nov-Dec and there is NO vacation in retail during that time:( Randy isn't aware that I am planning this cruise and that I am considering non-freestyle. I plan, pay, and he just goes along. I guess that's why we are still happy!! The whole family is off to Las Vegas to celebrate a college graduation and a high school graduation- I hope it's HOT, I can't stand the cold anymore.

OK- back to the topic at hand- again, thanks to all of you and keep the ideas coming. The more I know the better!

We were on the Mercury last November. We were on deck 8 in a deluxe oceanview cabin. There was lots of room and the larger window was great. Just remember to close the curtains during the day as it gets very warm in the cabin. We were also towards the back of the ship and there is a definate rumbling and vibrating back there. Especially on port days. Early wake up call everymorning. I think next time i'd stay closer to midship. It was a great cruise. Would do it again in a minute:D

on Deck 8, Mercury, and have read there are some larger insides on this deck, but can not find out what cabins those are. Does anyone know? If you don't want to post it on the board please email me at cruzcrzy@yahoo.com

I am ready to book now. Thanks. PS The Search feature is not currently working on the board, as I tried that too.

Marie

Hubby and I have become dedicated freestyle/personal choice people, but I found the perfect itinerary for us on a 9 day Celebrity Mercury cruise. My friends on the NCL board assure me that, yes, I will enjoy Celebrity even though I'll be back to "traditional" cruising.

Soooo.... I hopped over to this board to find out all I could about the Mercury...guess I picked a bad time for that:eek: Friends of ours picked up the Norovirus on AirLingus to Ireland- sicker than dogs for a week, never left their hotel. (an NO compensation from the airline)

Anyway, I am asking for assistance in choosing a cabin because the categories and deck plans are quite different than what I have experienced. We have cruised in everything from a lowest category inside to a full suite. I am considering a family suite this time, possibly a verandah or just an ocean view. We do like to spend some time in the cabin (3 sea days) but the "perks" aren't a big deal for us. I see the family suites are GTY only- does anyone know why? Any suggestions or tips?

Also, our last 3 cruises were booked through a large internet agency. In checking rates, I see that the Celebrtiy site and other internet agencies have all the same rates. Am I better off booking through Celebrity or is there a trick to finding better rates elsewhere?

Whew- sorry for the lengthy post, but switching forums is like moving to a foreign country for me:D

Thanks in advance for all the help!!

First of all I would suggest you find a ship and line other than the mercury. We just returned from a cruise on this ship and it was a disaster. This was the third successive cruise on that ship with the norovirus and we experienced bleach spraying, ie four to five crew members walking down the hall with bleach bottles in both hands spraying everything in site every 30 minutes. We were lied to before we departed and have not had a single reply to our emails or letters from corporate. Finally the mercury has only one dining room, no freestyle dining, no alternative dining and really is not very attractive compared to other cruise ships we have been on. If you must cruise with celebrity consider the infinity or milennium. Personally I would rather be on the princess line - it was a tossup before the last cruise but now there is no comparison. I cannot handle being lied to and being ignored - check the thread for the march 17 and 27 sailings on the mercury and you will see what i mean.

Hi everyone

I've been reading these Mercury threads with extreme interest. My DH and I are currently planning to go onboard Mercury in early 2007 to Mexican Riviera. I know this is a long time from now, but it's the best we can do. This will be our 2nd ever cruise, the first being onboard MARINER of RCL.

My question is: has there been any reports as to what is going on onboard Mercury these days? Are these problems with NV still occuring, is the bleaching still happening and (selfishly) do I have a reason to be concerned? Is this the first such outbreak on this ship? Do I need to look at a different line/ship?

I know that when we were onboard Mariner last year that there were reminders and hand sanitizing everywhere we went. It didn't affect our experience at all, even tho I know that there had been a NV breakout on the ship sometime prior to our cruise.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Are these problems with NV still occuring, is the bleaching still happening and (selfishly) do I have a reason to be concerned? Is this the first such outbreak on this ship? Do I need to look at a different line/ship?

Outbreaks of norovirus come and go. Norovirus is seen on every cruise line, on every ship. And hospitals, schools, retirement homes...anywhere large groups of people are confined.

You'll never cruise if you plan your trips around norovirus. All you can do is follow the cruise line guidelines (wash your hands, use the sanitizers, etc) and hope for the best.

The Mercury does offer casual dining during regular dining room hours in the buffet area, but with full service and casual dress code.

The whole Bleach/Norovirus thing may have closed this down for recent cruises but it is offered on most cruises.

We sailed the Merc 2 years ago, and we sailed the Infinity in November. We are sailing the Merc again this November.

We booked a Family Ocean View cabin. 224 square feet but no veranda, but there his a public deck right outside. We are looking foreward to giving this room a try. We were in a std. veranda for Infinity, and we'd do that again if it is all that is all that is offered, but we think we'll just have a bit more room in the FOV.

I think that this will all be history by the time that we take our next trip on the Mercury. As several have pointed out, Noro ( and other ) viral infections are common anyplace where you congregate a group of people, be it a cruise ship, airliner, small town, or whatever. All it takes is a one or two contagious people ( who well may not know that they are contagious) and the infection is off and running.

These illnesses are spread hand to mouth in general and the best defense is still to wash/disenfect your hands thoroughly and often-- certainly after using the facilities and before eating.

Archived