Worried about missing the ship.

After reading the post from cruisersinjax, I want to make sure we don't take any chances of missing the ship. We are driving from CT to Port Canaveral. We are spending two nights in ST Augustine then plan on leaving about 8 AM. Is there usualy traffic problems on 95 on a Sunday morning? Should we change our plans to stay at the port on Sat. night?:confused:

DO NOT CUT IT THAT CLOSE!!! As a central Floridian who regularly travels 95, I can tell you that traffic is not the only issue. One overturned tractor-trailer (and it happens alot) will kill you.

1 night at the port=priceless

I just checked on Mapquest and it say 127 miles or 2 hours.Of course this is assuming no traffic,construction etc. I am always of the belief than better safe than sorry and stay at the port.

To compromise spend the second day in St Augustine touring or whatever and then late afternoon head for Port Canaveral, have a nice dinner and the next morning you will be a lot less stressed and RESTED.

Just my 0.02$

Sue

I have drove same day from the St Augustine area to the port 5-6 times. never any problems. If you like the beach roads take A1A down to the port, but plan on about 3-4 hours drive. It is a beautiful drive and no Interstate, just a few detours onto US1.

We drove down to Miami on the same day. Got a late start then had a belt break on our BRAND NEW car! Talk about freaking out!! I soooo thought we were going to miss the ship! As it was we were still on and having lunch by 1:00 pm. But it cost us! It was $180 to fix the belt because the place wouldn't honor the vehicle's warranty and then we had to tip big time because they had to have the part driven in!

STAY AT THE PORT!!!!!!!!!!! YOU NEVER KNOW!!!!!!

I Royal Caribbean is picking us up the day of the cruise, we should be OK, right? Is this just a domestic thing or should I be worried?

Don't worry!!!!

I assume you are saying that you have transfers to the port with RCCL? If that is the case you have nothing to worry about. The OP was driving to port in his personal car.

Sue

if you leave at 8am, you will have no problem getting from st augustine to pt canaveral by the time the ship sails. dont base your decision on one person's bad experience.

Patrick!

Patrick!

Patrick!

When did you move to Jacksonville??????????????????

Since you are traveling and planning to stay overnight somewhere anyway, I would stay near the port. You never know what could happen. However, I am a paranoid traveler. I live about 1.5 hours from Galveston but stayed the night before in Galveston when we sailed Rhapsody. Of course, we made it an extension of our vacation. We drove over in the evening, had supper on the waterfront, took an evening walk, then slept late since it was only 15 minutes to the pier, and were onboard by noon.

I don't know anything about Port Canaveral. Is there anything nice nearby so you can see some sights or at least get a nice meal?

Hi Carol - I moved to JAX about 2 weeks ago for work. I miss Philly, but it's warmer here, and maybe I will get some FLA resident cruise specials! :D

I moved to Fla 2 yrs ago and have yet to see a FL resident special!!!!.. I think those days are gone.

If I am wrong, someone please tell me where to find them.

There used to be FL resident discounts!!! When I was on the Nordic Prince in '90 for a 10 day cruise I met a group from FL. They were originally booked on a 7 day eastern Carib. but since the 10 day was not full they were offered the opportunity to switch to the 10 day for the same price. Naturally they did. One of the guys told me of several cruises he had been on where the deals were really good for FL residents. This was 15 yrs ago and I think those days are long gone. But they did exist at one time.

Too bad by the time I was finally able to move to FL everything changed. Not only are there no FL resident deals, the cost of living here in SW FL is getting astronomical.

maybe I will get some FLA resident cruise specials! :D

We here in FL hear about the FL cruise rates all the time(from posters on here),but to tell you the truth,I have never seen any and dont know any of my FL friends that have.......its really a myth,I'm afraid!!:(

OH WOW.others beat me to it!!:p

Archived