Do "pickpockets" target expensive cameras?

We are cruising on the Liberty this summer and want to take along our expensive camera--it is fairly large (won't fit in a pocket!). Has anyone had/heard of a bad experience in any of the ports with getting them stolen? We have read the warnings about protecting cash/credit cards while in Europe, but what about cameras?

We had a small, but expensive digital camera stolen while in Eastern Europe last year. It was in a zipped belt packet and was taken while asking for directions in a relatively nice restaurant. Fortunately we had just purchased it a week before leaving for the trip using Am. Ex. and they reinbursed us in full. Since it was early on in the trip we only lost a few photos, we had two other camera with us and most of the photos we had taken were on those.

I would take care with anything you carry with you. I heard from one fellow traveler who had a wallet stolen (twice, two different occasions) but he was prepared. It was a fake-filled with junk papers, his real wallet was better concealed. Imagine the pickpocket when he opened the junk wallet to find trash. We got a good laugh from that.

\

keep on cruising

Robb

You are dealing with professional theives. They will target ANYTHING they can get, especially from a tourist. I didn't buy into too many of the stories I had heard, but when we were in Barcelona, I witnessed 2 attempts myself. Both times the scream that came out of my mouth( and my pointing finger) stopped the pickpocket, but neither were caught, they are so slick and fast. Please heed the warnings. Even though "things" can be replaced, you don't want the bad memory on your wonderful vacation.

Missyal

I have an expensive Minolta SLR camera and was targeted in Florence and Rome. Thieves often work in pairs so watch out for that. In Florence one "gypsy" woman approached my left side asking for money while another woman approached my from behind and right (where my camera was). Our guide had warned us about the "gypsies" so I was being extra careful and noticed the one reaching for my camera from the corner of my eye. I started yelling at them and causing a scene. Both ran off. That is the best thing you can do - create a scene and get lots of attention.

In Rome a man grabbed a chunk of my hair (I have long hair) as a distraction while he tried to snatch my camera. My husband was slighly in front of me and heard me scream when my hair was ripped out. He turned around and shoved the man away from me. I don't know how much of my hair he got, but that really hurt. At least I kept hold of my camera.

I agree that anything is a target. If you have time for a cup of coffee at Borders, you may want to check out one of Rick Steves European guidebooks for some good common sense ways of "hardening the target".

One tip I picked up was how to use a daypack, and he was pretty specific about why some are good and why some invite trouble.

I plan to carry a high end digital camera too, but now that I think about it, I will upgrade my ability to backup my photos during the trip.

I agree that anything is a target. If you have time for a cup of coffee at Borders, you may want to check out one of Rick Steves European guidebooks for some good common sense ways of "hardening the target".

One tip I picked up was how to use a daypack, and he was pretty specific about why some are good and why some invite trouble.

I plan to carry a high end digital camera too, but now that I think about it, I will upgrade my ability to backup my photos during the trip.

Don't just read the book there, buy it and take it with you! We find the Rick Steves guides to be full of all kinds of helpful information, especially if you want to do some things on your own. He actually makes it easy to navigate the local transportation systems, and has some great recommendations for cheap eats.

My kids call it my "man bag"... Over the shoulder pack to carry a lite jacket, camera, couple of bottles of water, room to put some small shopping items. something to haul anything you may have over the course of a long days excursion.

Fanny packs are smaller versions, but invite trouble. Rick like a bag that you can carry over one shoulder, but small enough to spin around under your arm if you are in tight, vulnerable situations. I put higher value items deeper into the pack in more obsure places as a pack sitting squarely on your back is a target to be opened from behind.

When I travel I use a "Healthy Back Bag". It has a zipper that can open from either end--two pulls. I lock the two pulls together with a small combination luggage lock. Yes, it may take me a bit longer to get into my wallet, etc., in crowds it has been a real safety net more than once. Seems to me many of the shoulder/backpack type bags also have this type of pull.

In such situations, I always, always us a hidden body pouch to carry extra cash, passport, even credit card. I can always find a restroom or corner of a store if I need more cash, etc.

You can be sure I'll be using such tactics when we are in the islands next January.

Archived