OOSTERDAM - DryDock??

cruisecrasy

Oosterdam's a pretty new ship. What are their planning on doing to the ship during drydock?

In addition to the regular maintenance that is required for to keep any 3y/o passenger ship in such good condition as HAL does - such as scraping down the hull and repainting, overhauling the powerplants, cleaning the fuel and water tanks, new carpets, new or reupholstered furniture, etc - there's the SOE updates which will include the new LG flatscreen TV's and DVD players in every stateroom, the Culinary center in the Queen's Room and hopefully the Exploration's Cafe in place of the Internet Room/Java Cafe. I also believe that they'll probably rip out the Golf Simulator and enlarge the Club HAL/Loft space similar to Noordam...

new LG flatscreen TV's and DVD players in every stateroom, [/
oh, that's great news. We did not book a suite and thought those flatscreens tv's and dvd players were only for suite guests. Nice surprise :D

there's the SOE updates which will include the new LG flatscreen TV's and DVD players in every stateroom, Noordam...

This keeps coming up and I hate to break the bubble, but the Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, and Westerdam will NOT be getting flat panel TV's during there SOE upgrade. The reason is that the current TV's are to new to just chuck out. The Noordam has the flat panel TV's because it was built after SOE was started. You can verify this on the HAL website by reading the fine print!!!!:D

Here is the HAL document to refer to: http://www.hollandamerica.com/pdfs/media/factsheets/FastFacts_SOE.pdf

This keeps coming up and I hate to break the bubble, but the Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, and Westerdam will NOT be getting flat panel TV's during there SOE upgrade. The reason is that the current TV's are to new to just chuck out. The Noordam has the flat panel TV's because it was built after SOE was started. You can verify this on the HAL website by reading the fine print!!!!:D

Here is the HAL document to refer to: http://www.hollandamerica.com/pdfs/media/factsheets/FastFacts_SOE.pdf

and especially 'bruceh4' for setting the record straight re: flat panel TVs directly from HALs site.

Generous of u all to take up your valuable time to help out a 'fellow' cruiser - most appreciated!!

Happy cruisin' all!!

• 4 months later...
Do you know when OOsterdam will be out of drydock? We are supposed to sail on her 11/18. Don't want to if she will just be back.

Ok msraye, you've got me curious. Why would you not want to sail on a ship that had just received the SOE upgrades? Seems to me like that would be a time when most would prefer to sail on her, when she had just been outfitted with these upgrades.

too bad about not getting the flat panel tvs, though.

Why would you not want to sail on a ship that had just received the SOE upgrades? Seems to me like that would be a time when most would prefer to sail on her, when she had just been outfitted with these upgrades.
I take it you haven't seen the program on the Travel Channel showing a ship going through a wet dock (what most of you refer to as 'dry dock') and the amount of work that still goes on - after....... I know I'd rather sail a month or so after finishing renovations. ;)

I take it you haven't seen the program on the Travel Channel showing a ship going through a wet dock (what most of you refer to as 'dry dock') and the amount of work that still goes on - after....... I know I'd rather sail a month or so after finishing renovations. ;)

Mary Ellen - no, I have not seen this program and never even considered that there would be work ongoing after the dry or wet dock period. Would the continuing work be more than normal maintenance? All depending on the extent of the upgrades, it could be difficult to complete them in the ten days she is scheduled for dry dock.

Thanks for the info Mary Ellen. CC = great resource.

Mary Ellen, I believe Oosterdam is not scheduled for a full drydock until 2008. I read here somewhere that they would be converting her stern section to resemble that of Noordam. This September I've read that they arent doing an extensive refit. They are installing the Culinary Arts center, and doing soft good updates, ie. replacing mattresses, bedding and such. Completing the SOE stuff that was left over.

In any case, I am sailing on the first 7 days Mexico cruise after the renovations. I'm going to write a review for posting here on CC and I'll take plenty of photos. But your sailing date is more than a month after the changes so I would think you would have nothing to worry about.

Mary Ann,

Could you please let me know what you mean about what folks call "dry dock" is really "wet dock"? I thought one was when it was put into a "dry dock" slip, the water drained-out and the hull worked on versus when the ship stayed in the water. Why do you say we mix them up?

I ask this because when I see HAL ships that are being worked on in Seattle they are usually out of water - in "dry docks". I see them as we go by the ship yards on the Washington State Ferries.

For anyone who is not familiar with what (or so I thought) in the shipping world is know as "dry dock", it is quite an interesting process.

Mary Ann,

Could you please let me know what you mean about what folks call "dry dock" is really "wet dock"? I thought one was when it was put into a "dry dock" slip, the water drained-out and the hull worked on versus when the ship stayed in the water. Why do you say we mix them up?

I ask this because when I see HAL ships that are being worked on in Seattle they are usually out of water - in "dry docks". I see them as we go by the ship yards on the Washington State Ferries.

For anyone who is not familiar with what (or so I thought) in the shipping world is know as "dry dock", it is quite an interesting process.

You are correct, in your summary, a dry dock involves pulling the ship out of the water. A wetdock is when maintenance is done at the pier and does not require pulling the ship out of the water.

It was my understanding that the upgrades being done on Oosterdam were not going to require a visit to the drydock. However maybe they are doing a drydock to do other hull maintenance while they have some downtime. She is three years old and may need to have the hull scraped to clear some fouling and clean her up a bit. Let us know if you see her out of the water in Seattle! :)

She is three years old and may need to have the hull scraped to clear some fouling and clean her up a bit. Let us know if you see her out of the water in Seattle! :)

The Oosterdam is actually going to be in Victoria BC for her DryDock. Once she disembarks passengers in Seattle on the 23rd of September she will head to Victoria.

You are correct about what a dry dock involves (I grew up in Seattle, I've seen all types of ships out of water too). However, since 'dry' dock is more $$$, and unnecessary unless the the underwater exterior portions of the ship need work, the ship stays 'wet' - in the water. Often the cruise ships are just going in for interior refurbishing (replacing carpets etc.) and is in wet dock. People tend to say the ship is in 'dry dock' whenever the ship is out of service and being worked on - no matter the 'dryness' of the hull.

It wouldnt surprise me if this were an actual drydock. Not because of the work being done, but because she's been in continuous service for three years and they may want to do some hull maintenance, scraping, etc as well as propulsion or thruster maintenance. You be amazed at how much gunk builds up on the hull, even on a swift mover like Oosterdam.

Although she is scheduled for her overhaul and conversion some time in 2008 so Mary Ellen may be correct , guess we'll have to wait and see :)

Oh, she'll be in drydock alright, same as Zuiderdam this past year...

Oosterdam hasn't been out of the water for 3 years & she needs the hull & pod maintenance - HAL doesn't skimp on these things...

Archived