Report on Star Fire

Mark

OK, it has been a while since the fire and the ship is now in Germany for repairs...that means that all involved sources have finished with their investigation on the ship...so, the question is where is the report that provides the findings of the investigation as to what started the fire and why is spread so quickly?

I find it hard to believe that the answers have not been found a report issued to the cruise line and to the insurers...so why keep it a secret...I would imagine that the US Coast Guard Report is a matter of public information?

Please advise if you have any updated info:confused:

Go to the Princess website and click on "news" they just released info. yesterday.

I looked all over the Princess website and couldn't find any section called "news." Can you provide a link?

I find it hard to believe that the answers have not been found a report issued to the cruise line and to the insurers...so why keep it a secret...I would imagine that the US Coast Guard Report is a matter of public information?
First, you obviously don't read many accident investigation reports. Have a look at the reports on http://www.maib.gov.uk to see the likely timeline for a published final report. It may be possible that an interim report will be out earlier.

Second, the US Coast Guard won't be issuing the lead report. It wasn't an American ship.

I am looking at the picture of the fire damage. I can conceive of something flammable being on one balcony and going up, making a localized fire. But the fire damage is spread over a wide area, with many many balconies involved. That makes me wonder how did it spread, what provided the fuel for the spread beyond the original balcony? There must be fuel on each balcony (chairs are fuel?) or the paint on the side of the ship is flammable or what? Just thinking out loud, speculative responses encouraged.

You need to read the thread that already discusses this in depth. Aluminum burns.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=319701

That is how the HMS Sheffield (an English Frigate) was lost during the Falklands War. A missile set her afire, all of her superstructure was built of aluminum, and they could not extinguish the fire. Aluminum burns easier than steel.

That is how the HMS Sheffield (an English Frigate) was lost during the Falklands War. A missile set her afire, all of her superstructure was built of aluminum, and they could not extinguish the fire. Aluminum burns easier than steel.

and its why the US Frigate that hit with a missile didn't but it was close. They US has gone back to steel with larger engines on its ships. They can't build the large cruise ships with steel- they will be too top heavy.

We can have an interesting discussion of the Vasa(Swedish Frigate from 1600's) about that.

That is how the HMS Sheffield (an English Frigate) was lost during the Falklands War.

Actually, British Destroyer. There were people on board who were not English (and it is not being pedantic - merely a matter of education).

Archived