Maasdam or Noordam..

Jen & Rich 2006

Need some help, planning a cruise for 3 people, they don't care where we go or what cruise line I pick as long as I do all the planning .....which would you choose ?? :)

Maasdam...( 11 nights ) Norfolk, Half Moon Cay, St. Thomas, Cabrits, Roseau, Bridgetown, Basseterre, San Juan, Norfolk

Noordam .. ( 10 nights ) New York City, Grand Turk, Road Town, Philipsburg, St. Maarten, St. Thomas, San Juan, New York City

There are many considerations here. Is NYC or Norfolk easier for you to get to (Philly seems pretty equidistant, but I suspect that driving to NYC would be much easier)? Do you enjoy smaller ships with their more intimate feel or larger ships with their variety of public areas and activities? Do you care if your ship is the newest in the fleet (Noordam) or one of the oldest just out of dry-dock (Maasdam)?

Overall I would recommend the Maasdam, as we just completed that itinerary and really liked the ship and staff. The one thing I would warn you about is that embarkation/disembarkation in Norfolk was a SNAFU.

I'd just love to be in your shoes!

Philly to NYC is SO easy - HAL has a bus that leaves from the SunPark right near the airport - $50pp R/T. Takes you right to the pier. Two hours with someone else driving & you're there. Philly to Norfolk is a little tougher - probabably 5 hours driving time & then you have to pay to park. Hmmmm.

Noordam is GORGEOUS! But, she's a big girl. If you've cruised before & prefer smaller ships, you may want to stay with Maasdam. If you want to try out the new kid, or have done Vistas before & liked them, head to NYC.

Maasdam stops at HMC - my happy place. I can truly say that was the only disappointment in the Noordam voyage - no HMC visit. Grand Turk looks to become a "little HMC" someday. Tortola has lovely beaches, as does St. Maarten (shopping, shopping!). Maasdam seems to have a more "exotic" southern itinerary. I'd love to visit some of those other islands.

Well darn it all, now I'm all worked up & drooling over your dilemma. I have GOT to get John to agree to that Jan 7 Noordam sailing. Brian - you got prices yet?

Well Jennifer, since you asked, I would prefer the Noordam. It would probably be easier to fly into New York and I like the newer ships. I also prefer Noordam's itinerary. Bridgetown and Bessterre, yuck, don't waste your time. Gee maybe we could go. :D And 10 or 11 nights no less. You go girl.

That's a tough choice. I love both ships.

The stronger of the two itineraries is Maasdam's.

What do the folks cruising like to do? Shop and then loll around... or participate in water and land activities?

Why wouldn't you want to go on a nice new ship like the Noordam? Seems like a no-brainer unless you prefer small and intimate. If it were me I go for ship then itinerary. Many of the islands are pretty equal in terms of what to do when you arrive anyway.

Archived