Mr. Deering

kelhair

Happy Easter All!

Well, we have booked our first HAL voyage, largely due to what we have perceived as the "climate" and atmosphere on board with all you terrific HAL CC's. As I posted earlier on this board, we have so enjoyed your humor and grace and we've been "recruited" by the class of this group.

That said, we are booked on the 11/25 Oosterdam and are very much looking forward to our first Hal experience. On almost every posting and review, Mr. Deering is highlighted as one of the best reasons for the quality of the cruise. I have never seen an HM receive the volume of comments, nor the obvious high profile that he maintains on each and every sailing. While we realize that contracts move staff and officers between the various ships we are still sitting here with crossed fingers that we will have the honor of sailing with him (probably doubtful but we are eternal optimists!)

Do any of you have any insight regarding where Mr. Deering might be this coming November?

Kind regards,

Kelly

Mr. Deering was on the O'dam over one year ago when we were on her and is still there. There is a good chance he will be on your sailing. He is one of the best HotMan's around.

We've found to be always charming, gracious and truly interested in his passengers comfort and happiness.

Hope you get to meet and know him

Bon Voyage

Trisha

Thanks for your replies. Am hoping after his off ship time that he returns to the O as I am so anxious to meet him. I've been in HR in the hospitality industry for my entire career and must admit that I am professionally dying to watch him "in action."

So rare that one indvidual, particularly in his position (meaning not the Captain), attracts the volume of comments and appreciation that Mr. Deering does.

Thanks for all info.

Kelly

Kelly--

Ship Services can inform you as to who is assigned to your sailing - just ask when you prebook your Pinnacle, etc.

Mr Deering is a most interesting and thoughtful gentleman - you'll certainly enjoy meeting him.

:)

Kelly:

Brian's response was great.

When I met Mr. Deering in Feb., he referred to the O'dam as "his" ship, as long as he wants the position there. Of course, there can always be situations where his expertise is required by HAL elsewhere, and he mentioned a couple of situations he knew he would be called away briefly, but he considers the O'dam his home. Anything can happen, but chances are good he would still be in charge there....

Paul

Mr Deering is by far the most visible HM you're ever going to meet.

We met him on another line, prior to HAL's good fortune, and he single-handedly made travel on that "other" line worthwhile for my group of 10. We met him the first afternoon at a Cruise Critics get together and our wonderful time was assured from that moment. We also learned, at that time, he was well informed regarding the CC boards.

A true gentleman, indeed. [knows wine, to boot!]

We have sailed on ships that have been managed from a passenger perspective by Mr. Deering. I would have to place him as the "gold standard" and the platinum standard if such existed. He is awesome at the total customer experience.

I believe as well though that breat leadership leaves a great legacy and I would expect the O'dam will be a great ship for you in any regard. Mr. Deering leaves his impring for many months or even years......

Gene

We met him on our Oosterdam cruise 3/25. During the Cruise Critics meeting he was very personable and answered all questions openly. He was willing to spend as much time as we wanted - We left after an hour (after all, there was fun to be had).

We saw him almost constantly around the ship - crow's nest, front desk, neptune lounge, etc.

At one point the line at the front desk was about 10 people long and he came walking by. He immediately began asking people at the end of the line how they could be helped.

Incredible customer service! And a really good guy at that.

Mr Deering is a most visible HM and he is soooo personable and approachable. We were fortunate to meet him when we cruised the Hawaiian islands on the NCL Star. Any ship he is with is the better for it! And it's great that he has joined HAL!

Happy sailings!

I haven't had the pleasure of being on a ship that Deering is HM on, however, would also like to give Nick Berger (sp?) a bit thumbs up (Veendam - Fall 2005) as being very approachable and open to all. He also was very "out there" at the CC gatherings as well as other gathering on the ship.

If there's someone better than he, I'm looking very much forward to enjoying the experience on a future HAL cruise.

On board the Noordam in two weeks :) :) :)

I am looking forward to meeting him when we board the Oosterdam on the 29th. (I'm SO ready for a cruise!)

Less than two weeks to go, Jim! Good for you!:)

Another thing James Deering can do very well, is tell you great stories from his wide range of experience in the travel industry. The man's been all over the world and is a pleasure to listen to.

I haven't had the pleasure of being on a ship that Deering is HM on, however, would also like to give Nick Berger (sp?) a bit thumbs up (Veendam - Fall 2005) as being very approachable and open to all. He also was very "out there" at the CC gatherings as well as other gathering on the ship.

If there's someone better than he, I'm looking very much forward to enjoying the experience on a future HAL cruise.

On board the Noordam in two weeks :) :) :)

tjcox9: I must agree with you. Having had the pleasure of sailing with both the gentlemen I think Mr. Nick Berger has the advantage. Mr. Deering is wonderful and I like him alot but Nick just wins overall.

Trisha

Had the great pleasure of meeting Mr. Deering on our April 1 cruise on the Oosterdam.

The first time I saw him was after boarding when everyone and their brother is on Lido deck. We were out by the Lido pool, and a crew member was setting up more chairs and tables for the high volume of passengers. Mr. Deering walked by, saw what was going on, and stopped to help. Talk about hands-on management!

He hosted a small CC gathering on Thursday in the Crow's Nest, and was very kind and gracious. He is everything previous posters have described him to be - knowledgeable, humorous and interesting. I cannot express how Mr. Deering's kind hospitality enhanced our cruise experience. He is excellent at his work, and this is in great evidence everywhere on the Oosterdam.

Hope you get to meet him on your cruise, Kelly! :)

We had the opportunity to meet Mr Deering on several occasions on our Oct Zuiderdam cruise. He was on board for a short time to help get things running right. He met with our CC group twice and my wife and I ran into him a few more times. I unfortunately suffered an injury on the second day of the cruise and Mr Deering and his staff made sure I had everything I needed to make it through the rest of the week as comfortably as possible. If we sail HAL again, it would only be because of him and on his ship.

Mike

We met him on our Oosterdam cruise 3/25. During the Cruise Critics meeting he was very personable and answered all questions openly.

We met James Deering on the 4/1 cruise, and agree with all the warm comments. However, he informed us that the ship could no longer post a CC meeting in the Daily Program due to some sort of copyright violation due to an agreement that Cruise Critics has with a couple of other lines.

That doesn't mean a group of people who just happen to post here can't meet with him. Mr. Deering came to our roll call. I would strongly suggest for any O-dam cruise that someone generates a roll call. You could meet him there, and he would know who to follow-up with for any future meetings.

Ken

Ken,

Thanks for the update on the CC meetings with Mr. Deering.

He clearly reads these posts so I would suggest that in the future CCers set a date and time and place (Crow's Nest?) on the roll call to meet and I'm sure he will be there (unless he is doing some other HM task).

Steve, Thanks so much for updating and showing us that interview.:) I could just hear Mr. Deering answering your questions. As many know I too think very highly of Mr. Deering and I am so glad that he is back with HAL and I feel I will get many more chances to be on board one of the ships he is managing.

Archived