Paradise Point

nzggator

I will be going on a cruise in September.

and was wondering how would one get to Paradise Point? What would be the best way to get up there? Beyond the view, is there other activties to do up there? Is the trip up there worth it?

Thanks

Matthew

Paradise Point is a short walk from the where the ship docks. You ride a tram up to it. There's a few shops, a restaurant, and a bar at the top.

We've been to St. Thomas twice. The first time we took a cab tour of the island, which stopped Mountaintop View where we had the best banana daiquiri we've ever had and had a great aerial view of the entire island. The cab then dropped us off at Coki Beach, where we stayed for a couple of hours before he returned to take us back to our ship. All for $20 each!

We thought Mountaintop View was much better than Paradise Point, which we did on our own on our next visit.

This would be my second time on the island as well but technically first becuase last time I just went to St. John's. Is Mountaintop View any bigger than Paradise Point?

Thanks Matthew

The views from Mountain Top are spectacular. There are lookout points on the way there which give you views over the harbor. At Mountain Top you get the view of the other side of the island overlooking Meghan's Bay.

The view from Paradise Point is also very impressive but the price for the tram is a bit steep at $15.00 per person. Personally, I think if you go to Mountain Top and want skip Paradise point to save some money on the tram, you won't be leaving St. Thomas having missed much.

Well, I have to say we thoroughly enjoyed Paradise Point when we went there, so much we are making sure we get there again in August :)

We had a bite to eat there, got a drink did some shopping and took los of pictures of the bay and surrounding Island.

We are doing a tour this time, so will get to see Mountain Top, so we will see what we like better.

Oh we had been to St John and took ferry diredct back to Charlotte Amalie so we could shop and explore. We neded up walking back to the ship from the ferry doc, but shopped and gawked (g) as we did. Was quite the nice day for us.

Mike

We have only been to Paradise Point so I can't guarantee it is any better or worse than the other place mentioned above. But I will say that you will get to take some great pictures of your ship if it is docked or anchored in the harbor from Paradise Point and they serve cold beer and honest drinks at the bar. It was a nice place to enjoy the breeze and get away from the crowds in the downtown area of St Thomas. Here is the link to their web site if you want to learn a little more about it.

http://www.paradisepointtramway.com/

Have a great next cruise.

Both places sound and look like great places of the island. Hopefully we will end up at both Paradise Point and Mountain Top. A few more questions (hopefully) if one was to go on one of the above places could you go to the other without going back down? Is the fee for the tram ride to Pardise Point a one way fee or roundtrip fee? and is there a web link for Mountain Top? Thanks

The tram fee is round trip. I don't think you can just go from Mountain Top to Paradise Point without going back down the mountain. However, if you rent a taxi and tell him that you also want Skyline Drive included I believe that will bring you to the area of Paradise Point.

I never could find a web site for Mountain Top and I put quite a bit of effort into looking for one before our cruise. At the time I was trying to figure out if it was worth making the trip there. The answer to that question is...YES!

We'll be visiting St Thomas this time (4th visit) not on a cruise. First time we've ever been there not on a cruise. Leaning towards Mountain Top based on the various postings. We'll have our own rental car. Is it easily accessible for a non-local to get to?

If you have your own car you won't have any trouble getting to Mountain Top. From a distance standpoint it is not far from town. But the roads are very narrow, winding, you are driving up a mountain, and they drive on the left. St. Thomas is not that big. You will able to see a lot of the island with your own car. Unfortunately, the person doing the driving doesn't get to take in as much of the scenery.

Also, it is not unusual to have animals (cows, pigs, etc.) walking freely across the street. So you have to be careful going around corners.

If you have been there done it, Paradise Point is a good choice. We shopped for a few hours at Havensight Mall by the pier then headed up. It is a neat ride with great views. Picture taking, food and drink, shopping and the free bird show is really great.

Archived