Really Discouraged!!

susie Q

thank you everybody for enlightening me.

personally, i think i'd rather be midship -- seems to me there might be some noise and vibrations in the back -- despite the bigger balcony.

it was very nice for many of you to respond to my question within just a few minutes of my asking it.

kind regards,

gunther and uta

... could somebody please tell me what the AFT cabins are, why they are so popular, and why they are such a big deal?

Are you talking about special suites, concierge class cabins, other cabin categories? please help.

There are three types of aft cabins - one being the Penthouse suites which are very expensive and likely not the one people are talking about.

The others are CC type aft cabins. And Family FV cabins. The FV cabins cost a bit more but are very large, I've heard celebrity holds these for groups of 4 or more during times schools are generally out. There are larger sofa beds and other sleeping arrangements in these rooms and a divider that sort of separates the room into two areas.

The CC rooms are more or less standard size CC rooms.

The attraction of the aft FV and CC rooms is that the balconies are HUGE - maybe 12 feet long - some longer. The large balconies, the view of the wake, and being generally shielded from wind - make up the attraction. The trade off is that there is more movement and vibration in the aft than in the mid-ship area. I've had both, and I'd choose aft if available.

We were in cabin 7203 on the Splendour and our balcony went out about 22ft. It was wonderful and during the day we alway had the choice of sun or shade due to the overhang. The cabin was the same size as any other in this catogory.

Which I'm sure is why the OP wants one of these cabins not to mention the room to entertain friends. We are here talking up the aft cabins while the OP is saying that she can't get one. :rolleyes: I personally am not a big fan of people or T/A's prebooking a block of the most desireable cabins the moment they come on the market while the rest of us average folks have to wait until the last minute to see what didn't sell so we might have the chance to get the cabin we want or not.

A trip like susie Q wants is not planned at the last minute/even 60 days out when traveling with friends so I understand her frustration.

As Beav said you may be lucky enough to find out from one of the Celebrity agents who has these cabins booked and if it is a T/A, contact them and book. There is the chance that these cabins were put on hold by a private group that is still working on putting a cruise together for family and friends in the hopes that they can get them all on board but that is unlikely. Keep checking the availibilty. It's still a long way out. :)

The attraction of the aft FV and CC rooms is that the balconies are HUGE - maybe 12 feet long - some longer.

I measured the aft balconies on Deck 8 (Infinity) to be nearly 20 feet deep! Our corner FV was of course larger and it measured in at a whopping 327 sq ft in total area.

Thanks everyone for all your help about the cabins.

For the date range and itinerary we were looking at, I actually just got a deal we couldn't refuse on the Crystal Serenity.

But thanks to everyone who answered my question about the aft cabins. It's a good thing to know.

Regards,

Gunther and Uta

Thanks so much for all the advice. I know it sounds silly to be fixated on the cabin...old habits die hard;) We are going to try and extend the voucher and maybe try another line for a shorter cruise this summer, but we'll be back with Celebrity when we get a chance. We don't cruise as much as many of you do...so when we do plan one, we are just kind of picky! So, for now, we'll get over it and move to Plan B...when I figure out what that is..ha! Thanks, again!

On floors 6 and above you'll have 0 noise and vibration issues.

http://cruisecritics.blogspot.com/2006/02/best-series-best-site-for-cruise-ship.html

I disagree. There was a fair amount more vibration and movement in our aft cabin on our last cruise, than what we've experienced mid ship. This is consistent with a prior experience in an aft cabin (on starboard side but last one aft) on another line years ago. For us, and with the benefit of hindsight, we consider the large balcony and view a reasonable trade off as the vibration and movement were not too bad. We would take the aft again, and in fact would seek it out. But the conditions were definitely noticeable and might not be acceptable to some. For example if someone is subject to sea sickness a midship location would be much better. Likewise if they are a light enough sleeper that the vibration would keep them awake.

We were in cabin 7203 on the Splendour and our balcony went out about 22ft.

That sounds wonderful! We're currently booked in a D1 on the Splendour and I've been checking every couple of days for a better room. Right now we're in 7580. I don't see a cabin 7203 on the deck plan - can you confirm what room number it was? A 22 ft balcony sounds like a dream I'd like to live! :) Thanks!!

to be cruisin'...the cabin with all the bells and whistles must be nice, but I'm just happy to be able to afford to cruise when I want!!! Think of all the people that have never been able to go on a cruise and people here are complaining about not having the cabin they want, when they want it!!!

Sshhesshh!!

I am sure you are a really nice person and don't mean anything by your comments, but do you realize how ridiculous that sounds? Let's see, you will not take a well discounted cruise because you cannot get an aft cabin to socialize with your friends. To have those problems.... No wonder some of the people that come to the Celebrity boards think we are snobs.

Archived