Really Discouraged!!

susie Q

Just have to vent to fellow cruisers. My husband, and our two dear friends have been excitedly waiting to book a cruise in June 2007 to Northern Europe. We were on the Millenium last summer, in the med. and my husband was under quarantine a good deal of the trip...bummer! Anyway, we were given a decent voucher to use on a like cruise within two years. We have saved our pennies and were ready to book for June 2007. We had been in contact with our TA every couple of weeks to see if bookings had opened. He called yesterday, told us it was open and ALL the aft cabins had been purchased by one person....ALL of them. We don't want to move to the side since we love traveling with our pals and hanging out on our verandas in the evenings....so disappointed...now our voucher will expire and we still won't get the cruise. We even tried one of the other dates...all gone...do people have "ins" that the rest of us regular folk don't? I don't see this as changing, so I guess we'll have to look at another cruise line....thanks for listening to the venting...;)

Why not book it anyway and wait to see if the aft opens up. Frequently someone jumps on something like that but then they fall through or change plans. This far out anything can happen. In the meanwhile, there are plenty of other great cabins. Check out some of the concierge cabins with larger than normal balconies. Worst case you cancel, but best case you still get to use the voucher and go on an amazing cruise. Can not having the aft really impact your trip that much?

Also see if you can be waitlisted for one of them. I know they won't let you just waitlist for the next available aft, but you can pick one and have your friends pick one and maybe you will get lucky.

I would book another cabin and see if any aft cabins open up closer to sailing date. We were able to get the elusive corner FV three weeks before our sailing date (4/28) when it had never been "available" on the web site previously. Actually the day before I booked it a Celebrity customer service rep told me no corner afts were available. Go figure. Obviously Celebrity holds back many of these cabins (for families?) until the last month and then decides to make them available to everyone. Maybe that is the case here.

We booked yesterday for the 2007 Norway Fjords cruise. Cabins available on the website were not great for me--front of the ship or back of the ship. We like midships. I put in specific midship cabin numbers and they were available. Good Luck.

MJ

Just have to vent to fellow cruisers. My husband, and our two dear friends have been excitedly waiting to book a cruise in June 2007 to Northern Europe. We were on the Millenium last summer, in the med. and my husband was under quarantine a good deal of the trip...bummer! Anyway, we were given a decent voucher to use on a like cruise within two years. We have saved our pennies and were ready to book for June 2007. We had been in contact with our TA every couple of weeks to see if bookings had opened. He called yesterday, told us it was open and ALL the aft cabins had been purchased by one person....ALL of them. We don't want to move to the side since we love traveling with our pals and hanging out on our verandas in the evenings....so disappointed...now our voucher will expire and we still won't get the cruise. We even tried one of the other dates...all gone...do people have "ins" that the rest of us regular folk don't? I don't see this as changing, so I guess we'll have to look at another cruise line....thanks for listening to the venting...;)

I MAY be able to help you out here...I think I know who may have these AFT cabins. You can email at: Karynlass at AOL dot com.

Karyn

Same thing happend to me once. But rather than one person booking all the aft cabins, it was one TRAVEL AGENCY who had put down a deposit on each and every one of them. Luckily, the agent on the phone at Celebrity put me in touch with the TA selling them and I purchased three from the agency. Give it a try ...

And, like kewlguy, we "settled" for a side-ship cabin on our upcoming Constellation cruise. I kept checking every few days for cancellations on the aft, and sure enough, one popped open just two weeks prior to sailing.

Good luck!

And you are a very nice person, but I was going to book this cruise aft cabin, but they are all gone now, thanks a lot:D

You know that I am just kidding:)

Phil

Sure you are...now I'm going to feel guilty, lose countless nights of sleep, worrying about you and Marti, all alone in that dingy behind the ship...but look at it this way...you'll have an amazing view from the BOW of your own ship...boat...whatever.

Karyn

We have just had a Family Suite come up for us 4 weeks pior to sailing but since the rest of the family has already had to opt for something else we gave it back straight away. Book it and have them wait list you because once there is a wait list the TA (if it is one ) will have to turn over the cabin without a name to it roughly at the end of the year.

The bookings for Celebrity Europe sailing opened up over in the UK last Thursday and by 915am all the aft cabins had been booked on some of the ships.

At least you can cancel and have no penalty unlike us in the UK where we loose our deposits.

Personally, I wouldn't let a "decent voucher" go to waste simply because I couldn't get a specific cabin. If you and your friends want to hang out in the evening why not just choose someplace else on the ship.

Ian I hate to say it but all european cancellation policies are differnet to the ones in the US. Do remember we do just not have that kind of lobby with the cruiselines yet as there are just not enough of us yet. Who know maybe one day (I#m dreaming.......)

Hi,

I'm about to book a Celebrity Cruise for my wife and myself. I've read this thread with interest.

Please don't flame me for being an uninformed idiot, but could somebody please tell me what the AFT cabins are, why they are so popular, and why they are such a big deal?

Are you talking about special suites, concierge class cabins, other cabin categories? please help.

danke

Gunther and Uta

Gunther and Uta: the aft cabins are all along the back of the ship. They are CC class, except for the FV cabins on either side of all the afts. (family view). The balconies are larger, as well as some interior space of the cabins.

I love the FV cabins better than any of the aft CC's. The cabins on either side of all the aft cabins have really large interiors, a sitting room and also a bedroom area. We had 8166 on the Summit on our Hawaii trip, and will have 7201 on our Connie trip in Sept.

The FV cabins don't get the CC items, but this does not bother me....fruit, flowers, robes. We usually do get the nice pillows.

Hope I have explained this?

I have a problem with getting them (afts) because I had a VERY BAD experience with the ta who buys them all. She discriminates against singles. I think she thought I would not give her enough revenue for her to bother with me. She sold a cabin I had on hold with her for 24 hours within about 6 hours. I found out about it on the roll call when someone posted how happy they were to score this particular cabin from this particular ta.

If I had to use a row boat BEHIND the ship I would not book with her! (now I know all you people are happy with her, but you do not travel single - trust me it was a whole different thing when she found that out!)

DSC01534.jpg

The cabin in the picture is a FV class room and cost extra $$.

The cabins between the FV rooms on each end, at the back of the ship are CC class rooms and cost the normal, going rate for CC class rooms--yet have a bigger balcony than most CC rooms--thus the fuss over getting AFT cabins.

We have never had an aft cabin because our TA always booked up middle of the ship d/t movement. They do look nice and maybe we will try for one the next time we cruise. But if I had a voucher for a free or discounted cruise, I wouldn't care if they put me over the anchor!

Archived