Newbie nees help with whale watching/Captain Larry in Juneau

Harriett in Hamburg

Hello. First time here and will be taking our first cruise on the Star on 7/30. I would really like to take Captain Larry's whale watch tour and am worried because the Star is scheduled to arrive in Juneau at 2pm...and the tour starts at 3pm. Is an hour enough time to get off the ship and to another ship? Has anyone else done the 3pm tour from the Star? I am thinking I will have to do the NCL tour just so the timing is ok? Thanks to all that reply!

Just call or e-mail Orca Enterprises (Captain Larry's company) and they'll be able to tell you if you can make it or not. They have all the cruise ship schedules. The people in the office are very friendly and efficient.

Just call or e-mail Orca Enterprises (Captain Larry's company) and they'll be able to tell you if you can make it or not. They have all the cruise ship schedules. The people in the office are very friendly and efficient.

Ditto! They have experience with all the late arrivals and can give you good information. They should be able to tell you if you are docking and tendering (which may make a difference). Sometimes they alter their schedule to accomodate ships. I would call or email them.

You will be fine with an hour off the Star and on Capt. Larry's Luxury Liner. Capt Larry's will shuttle you from the dock area right out to where the boat leaves at Auke Bay, it's just about 10 miles north of the cruise ship docks. Be ready for a great adventure. This is a great tour. Only one better IMHO was the Kenai Fjords Tour out of Seward.

We booked Capt. Larry for our cruise in June. They said that the office is right across the street from the dock and that we needed to be there 30 min before time and they will transport you from there. Have heard great things about this tour. Am so looking forward to it.

For clairfication, their office is right across from the TRAM, upstairs. The NCL Star last year got into port early a lot. We were in before noon. But they usually use the AJ dock, verify this with this year's schedule. Is a LONG walk, over a mile and sometimes long lines for shuttle buses. So be ready to get off the ship as soon as it clears.

But, always go with the vender's recommendations for tour scheduling, fully disclosing arrival and departure times.

I am sorry.........and I am sure this is a stupid question.............but I don't know so I had to ask...........................

We are going on our first Alaskan cruise with HAL on June 4. We knew NOTHING about Alaska or HAL before we booked other than we wanted to see the beauty. We will port in Juneau, Ketchikan and Sitka. We have booked a whale watching excursion through the cruiseline in Juneau. How do I know if it is the Captain Larry that you are all speaking about?

**** I had to edit to say that I notice nanashirl is doing Captain Larry's. I learned from another thread and post that you will be on my cruise, HAL June 4. Did you book through the HAL? If so, I must be doing Captain Larry's also. How did you know this? We went online with our booking number and did our booking online. I just went to the same spot and I couldn't figure out how to access my account to see the excursion descriptions.

I am sorry.........and I am sure this is a stupid question.............but I don't know so I had to ask...........................

We are going on our first Alaskan cruise with HAL on June 4. We knew NOTHING about Alaska or HAL before we booked other than we wanted to see the beauty. We will port in Juneau, Ketchikan and Sitka. We have booked a whale watching excursion through the cruiseline in Juneau. How do I know if it is the Captain Larry that you are all speaking about?

**** I had to edit to say that I notice nanashirl is doing Captain Larry's. I learned from another thread and post that you will be on my cruise, HAL June 4. Did you book through the HAL? If so, I must be doing Captain Larry's also. How did you know this? We went online with our booking number and did our booking online. I just went to the same spot and I couldn't figure out how to access my account to see the excursion descriptions.

No, you are booked with Allen Marine, the ship contractor. IF you want Cpt Larry, you have to book independent with http://www.orcaenterprises.com Verify that you have Larry for the Cpt if that is important to you. He potentially will be running 3 boats.

No, you are booked with Allen Marine, the ship contractor.

How is Allen Marine's versus Captain Larry's? Is it mainly only price difference? Since DH and I knew nothing we just stuck with the cruiseline's excursions. Are we ok on this one?

Harriett,

I booked with Capt. Larry on Aug 8. On their website they also list a 5:30 pm excursion. We picked that one. I also talked with a gal at Orcaenterprises.com and she said the Star always gets in Juneau at 1pm. They will be tendered until the Sun leaves the dock but they start tendering shortly after they anchor. Hope this helps you. Also, if you book before May 1, 2006 you will get last years prices!!!! Because of the gas going up they are increasing the rates. I dont know what the price will be.

Janyce

How is Allen Marine's versus Captain Larry's? Is it mainly only price difference? Since DH and I knew nothing we just stuck with the cruiseline's excursions. Are we ok on this one?

With all due respect to the folks at Allen Marine -I think you will find that the vast majority of those on this board LOVE Capt. Larry (and that included me). :)

We went with him last summer, and it was wonderful. We saw the larger, very packed cruise line whale watch ship, and were very very very happy we were with Capt. Larry. We had no breaches, but lots of humps, and backs. Great narration, lots of seals at Benjamin Island and assorted wildlife in route.

Service was great. Ability to ask questions easily, and get good answers and attention from the staff was a real plus for us.

With all due respect to the folks at Allen Marine -I think you will find that the vast majority of those on this board LOVE Capt. Larry (and that included me). :)

We went with him last summer' date=' and it was wonderful. We saw the larger, very packed cruise line whale watch ship, and were very very very happy we were with Capt. Larry. We had no breaches, but lots of humps, and backs. Great narration, lots of seals at Benjamin Island and assorted wildlife in route.

Service was great. Ability to ask questions easily, and get good answers and attention from the staff was a real plus for us.[/quote']

So, from what I gather from your reply, our Allen Marine tour will be more crowded, more people, less interaction........and Captain Larry is a smaller, more personal tour?

So, from what I gather from your reply, our Allen Marine tour will be more crowded, more people, less interaction........and Captain Larry is a smaller, more personal tour?

Generally yes. But people do rave about Allen Marines snacks. :)

You should be able to cancel ship excursions with full refunds if of interest.

Generally yes. But people do rave about Allen Marines snacks. :)

You should be able to cancel ship excursions with full refunds if of interest.

Thanks. You have been a big help!

I would love to hear from someone that had been on Allen Marines' tour and have feeback from them. I know that DH is not very easy to convince about changing plans so if others have been happy with Allen Marine he would be much happier to stay with them. I just want a great view and experience!

TLHB, we went with HAL's whale watch with Allen Marine two years ago (before we found out about Capt. Larry). It was terrific - we were having such a good time and seeing whales breaching, bubble feeding, etc. that they called HAL and told them that if it was okay with HAL that they would like to keep us out on the water a little longer. HAL agreed and we thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience. Video and pictures to last a lifetime. I did not think it was particularly crowded on the boat and did enjoy the crew and the snacks, as well as the whales. If your experience is anything like ours I think you will be satisfied. Hope this helps.

TLHB, we went with HAL's whale watch with Allen Marine two years ago (before we found out about Capt. Larry). It was terrific - we were having such a good time and seeing whales breaching, bubble feeding, etc. that they called HAL and told them that if it was okay with HAL that they would like to keep us out on the water a little longer. HAL agreed and we thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience. Video and pictures to last a lifetime. I did not think it was particularly crowded on the boat and did enjoy the crew and the snacks, as well as the whales. If your experience is anything like ours I think you will be satisfied. Hope this helps.

Thank you so much Janet S.!!!!!!!!!!! That is what I needed to hear!!!!!! :) I will know for future cruises that we should book independently with Capt. Larry. We will also have one Alaskan cruise and experience under our belts. For this cruise, we go into it blindly. We board on June 4, but I just found this web site, CC, last week. I am learning everything I can now. We didn't know anything when we booked. So we thought that we should use the cruiseline's excursions. We figured that was safest. I am glad to know that you were happy with their tour!!!! We will stick with it for this trip and remember Capt. Larry for next trip! (I will insist on returning! :D )

Archived