Last minute bargain

Poohb

I've been reading/learning on these posts for a long time. DH asked me a question and didn't think my answer was right. Sooo, give me your thoughts. He thinks that you might be able to show up for a scheduled cruise with luggage & passport, without making any reservations and maybe get an unbooked/empty cabin for a discount price. I said No, the cruiseline only takes advanced reservations; especially with security the way it is. He thinks that there are always no shows on a cruise for 'a whole lot of different reasons ...sickness, death, flight delay...and the cruiselines would want those spaces filled by anybody. No sarcasm, just expert opinions please. Thanx.

I've done it.

I disembarked from a cruise in Fort Lauderdale earlier this year.

You know the post-cruise blues.

So I walked across the way to another terminal where a cruise to the Bahamas was departing later that day.

I asked if they had any cabins available and if I could book and get on this cruise.

They said sure, no problem, as long as I had my passport.

They didn't offer any last-minute deals though.

Probably not all cruise lines allow this though.

Last June I met a women, her & her hubby are NY policemen...he didn't think he could go on the cruise, last min. he got off, went to the pier (she booked a room big enough for him just in case) showed all of his ID, she said he had more ID than anyone due to being a cop, lots of offical stuff, they denied him to board. Needless to say she sailed without him for 10 days, her & their daughter, he went home.

Thanks for all your input. Because of his frugalness we can cruise 2x a year without depleting our savings...he's retired & part Polish (a great attribute). Maybe he was trying to come up with a way to cruise 3x/year. hahaha

I've done it.

I disembarked from a cruise in Fort Lauderdale earlier this year.

You know the post-cruise blues.

So I walked across the way to another terminal where a cruise to the Bahamas was departing later that day.

I asked if they had any cabins available and if I could book and get on this cruise.

They said sure, no problem, as long as I had my passport.

They didn't offer any last-minute deals though.

Probably not all cruise lines allow this though.

Which cruiseline offers this? Curious, because you're the only person in the past 3+ years I've been here to post that this is possible. I imagine this would be very useful info for folks!

(my guess is that you're talking about one of those overnight or 2 day cruise companies, but I would love to be wrong)

Archived