What Time?

sail7seas

We ususally leave our cabin by 8, go up to the lido for some juice then hit the gym then go back to the Lido for a real breakfast. We like our cabin done early - on our last cruise on the Veendam our steward Silvanus "got" our routine right away and was very prompt in getting our room done.

We're usually out 8:00-8:30 and like to have the cabin cleaned while we're at breakfast. Our stewards have almost always cleaned cabin during this time frame. I expect to come back to a neat, clean cabin, since cabin stewards usually pick up on our habits.

I'm usually out of the cabin by 6am, and wife usually out by 8am.

We leave the Do Not Disturb sign on the door until after we have breakfast, and usually put out the Please Make Up Cabin sign around 10am.

Unless we have an early shorex, we don't leave the cabin until at least 10AM. We like room service breakfast. Normally, our cabin has been clean before noon, but since we almost never see the steward, I don't know when exactly it is done. As long as it is done sometime before we have to get ready for dinner, I don't have a real preference.

It truly varies -- some mornings we are in and lazy and enjoy room service and we surface to the outside world at 10 or later. Other times we are up and out early or not so early. The best cabin stewards that we have had over the years have managed to just keep an eye out for us and when we do leave they pop in and the room is clean upon our return. We hardly ever see them. I know that does not sound very considerate of us. We understand that their job is very difficult -- but after all, it is our vacation. And we do understand that when we are being unreasonable that there may be days that our room is not cleaned until quite a bit later. That is OK. It is certainly better than the steward who knocks on the door long before we are ready to leave for the day.

We are usually out by 9am and would prefer the room to be cleaned by lunch time. Usually it's never a problem and we always remark "How do they get it done before we get back"

In all of our cruise which is not that many we never come back to the room while they are making it up - which I really don't like.

What time do you:

(A) Usually leave your cabin in the morning?

(B) Want your Cabin Steward to clean the room?

We usually like to go to the dining room to eat breakfast and will sleep the very latest that we can and still do that. (Once or twice we'll get lazy and have room service but prefer the dining room.)

I remember reading that the stewards get a break sometime around 1pm, so I make sure we leave by noon. We're not big on lunch. We do love to read and if we're not careful can spend all morning reading and napping in our cabin and not leave the poor steward any time to clean the room! On the Zuiderdam in 2004, I remember our steward was always outside our room vacuuming around noontime. That seemed to be our signal to vacate to somewhere else to read for a while so we'd head up to the promenade or the library or elsewhere. (Do you know how many great places there are on a HAL ship to just sit and read???)

I don't really care what time the room is done since we're so unpredictable as to our schedule, I just don't want to inconvenience the steward.

Robin

Leave the cabin by 8 and go to the Lido for breakfast. Work out in the gym and spend some time near the Lido Pool for the second cup of coffee. The cabin is usually cleaned by 10. The cabin stewards have learned or routine on each cruise.

Geez, I'm lucky to get out before 10.30-11...

I usually flag him down in the corridor (he always recognizes me by my bloodshot eyes) and tell him that I'm off to the Lido/Spa/Exploration's Cafe for a while - that's kinda his hint that it's safe to enter the den and clear the breakfast trays & cocktail glasses and bring fresh towels (as we've managed to use every single one that isn't twisted into a White Rhino or Beluga Whale...)

Sail, you're a busy bee with the questions today, aren't you???!!!:D

Generally we have coffee in the cabin fairly early and go to the Lido between 8 and 8:30 for breakfast.

My idea of the most perfect cabin steward is when we return to the cabin and by some slight of hand he has managed to transform it back to its neat and tidy condition:) .

What time do you:

(A) Usually leave your cabin in the morning?

Gosh, that is a hard question for us. We leave at all different times depending on if it is a port day or an at sea day. For port days I get up early to be off the ship as early as possible to go diving. I don't really know when the rest of the clan gets up. On sea days, I like to eat in the dining room so again, I'm usually the first up. Usually DS will sleep in, DD wants to get to the kids thing when it opens and DW is variable.

(B) Want your Cabin Steward to clean the room?
Doesn't matter much to me.

We are usually out of our cabin on a sea day by 9am in time to have breakfast in the dining room. On a port day it could be a little earlier.

We do prefer to have our cabin cleaned whilst we are at breakfast. It is great to return to our cabin with the bed made and the bathroom cleaned knowing that the steward probably won't disturb us for quite awhile.

Jennie

If it is a sea day I am out around 6 and DH usually by 9. If it is a day in port usually we are both out around 8.

I would like for the room to be done by dinnertime. They always have it done within an hour or two of us leaving though. :)

DD and I are early amer's. She likes to work out early and I like to get in my walking miles. It is not unusual for us to be up and out by 7 am..

We did lots of excursions and most of them start at 8 am, so up and out of the room and then get some breakfast in the Lido and to the lines for excursions by 8 am.

On our next cruise we are going to try and do the opposite, not as many excursions, up late and sleep in more. Since both of us have jobs that are early ones, we will see how that works.

She wants to try the later dinner time, so that we were are late getting back from port visits we can nap and stay up later. As the ever faithful Mom, I will try what ever she likes, as I simply enjoy the ship and her company.

Having our room cleaned on our return from breakfast is such a perk.

Linda

If Lido breakfast closes at 10:00, then I leave the cabin to arrive just before the curtain is lowered. If I have a shore excursion, then I leave an hour before gathering time.

I love it when the cabin is cleaned before I return from breakfast, but any time before my afternoon nap is all right with me. ;)

I get up 1/2 hour before the main dining room closes for breakfast. The steward can come in anytime and if he's there when I return, I'll go for a walk until he gets done; he has to work and I'm on vacation.

Wow....since I'm still awaiting ( impatiently ) my first cruise, I'm astounded at the "dance" the stewards must do to get everyone's staterooms done while the pax are out....how the heck do they manage it? they must be masters of organization !! Not even on board yet and I'm already impressed ...:)

Archived