What about bottled water?

sarahjane

Most of the ships we've been on (mostly RCCL) have had less than desireable tap water, so we usually try to use the bottled water. Our first HAL trip is coming up on Westerdam to Alaska. Just wondering if anyone can tell me the premium I'll be paying for my bottled water, or is it by chance complimentary in the staterooms? It really starts to add up after a while ... I mean.. it's WATER!!!:rolleyes:

thanks!

sarahjane

I haven't noticed the water tasting funny on a HAL ship (yet). I'm almost an activist against bottled water except in extraordinary circumstances, so I probably have a bias anyway... It costs more than onland sometimes, but I think the most I've seen is about $2 or $3 for those huge bottles that you buy going off the ship like at Half Moon Cay.

I usually take on board a six pack of small Evian bottles for my stateroom in case I'm thirsty in the middle of the night. I don't drink the tap water, however, but I drink the water at the Lido and in the restaurants. The water tastes fine to me, actually it's quite good with no smell or funny taste, and I've never had any gastrointestinal problems before. I always drink bottled water when I get off the ship.

THanks for the replies, folks!

I guess I wasn't referring to the taste of the tap water as much as the fact that I've heard it still retains a pretty large amount of sodium even though you can't really taste it. (Perhaps another reason why we all gain weight on our cruise?) Anyway, my DH has high blood pressure, so we try to avoid hidden sources of sodium when we are made aware of them. We also do not have a water softener in our home for the same reason.

Thanks again!

sarahjane

If I remember correctly, the water costs $1.50 ans $2.50 for the 1/2 and 1 liter bottles. There will be 2 in your cabin and these will be replaced as you use them by the wine steward every day..........jean:cool:

If you are conveniently in an American port to embark -you might want to try slightly flavored water. I don't much care for the taste of water- but I LOVE "Fruit2O" -AND it has NO CALORIES. I don't think I would bother to carry it on the plane- but I sure could go shopping in the port city!

THanks for the replies, folks!

I guess I wasn't referring to the taste of the tap water as much as the fact that I've heard it still retains a pretty large amount of sodium even though you can't really taste it. (Perhaps another reason why we all gain weight on our cruise?) Anyway, my DH has high blood pressure, so we try to avoid hidden sources of sodium when we are made aware of them. We also do not have a water softener in our home for the same reason.

Thanks again!

sarahjane

I can tell you that the ships desalenation process is generaly pretty good. The water contains a lot less chemicals then your noraml city water, and IMHO tastes better then most bottled waters. And as far as the sodium levels are concerned that is taken care of durring the process. what we will do generaly is on our first shorex when they are selling large bottles at the gang way we buy 2 then refill them in our state room from the tap.

I hope this helps.

I can tell you that the ships desalenation process is generaly pretty good. And as far as the sodium levels are concerned that is taken care of durring the process. I hope this helps.

I think most people are talking about the taste of the water being good, not content, because that is really an unknown, isn't it? Since we are not testing the water I would be very careful about telling a person with medical concerns about what the sodium levels of the water is. I always have a swelling problem on a cruise and I never do at home and I also have HBP.

I read an article somewhere recently saying that bottled water isn't always as good for you as regular tap water because they do not put flourides in it. Also, if you buy bottled water on board, there will be a 15% gratuity automatically added to the cost.

We take Crystal Light Lemonade whenever we sail and drink that while in our cabins. When we go ashore, we fill our water bottles with tap water and drink that.

"I've heard it still retains a pretty large amount of sodium even though you can't really taste it. (Perhaps another reason why we all gain weight on our cruise?)"

Now I know why I gain so much weight on a cruise. I was always blaming the bread pudding (with vanilla sauce, icecream and whipped cream), when all this time it was the damn water I was drinking that was making me fat! LOL :D :D :D I'm sure that HAL tests their water and perhaps if you ask, they can tell you what the sodium levels are in the water.

I'm happy for those of you who do not need to be concerned about those pesky little "hidden" ingredients like sodium in your food and drinks. The fact is that if you have hypertension, sodium can be a big health problem. And if you have congestive heart failure, the extra water that you retain from sodium intake can literally KILL YOU.

Just in case you wondered why I care about the sodium in the water...

happy monday to you all!

sarahjane

I always take one of those sport bottles that bike riders and other sports use. They cost about $1. The mouth is big enough that ice cube can be easily loaded. I fill it with ice cubes and then top it with water. That way I have nice cold water on tours.

I'm happy for those of you who do not need to be concerned about those pesky little "hidden" ingredients like sodium in your food and drinks. The fact is that if you have hypertension, sodium can be a big health problem. And if you have congestive heart failure, the extra water that you retain from sodium intake can literally KILL YOU.

Just in case you wondered why I care about the sodium in the water...

But your initial post didn't mention sodium content, just that you believe that ship board water is "less than desireable," so you shouldn't be surprised when people respond that HAL's tap water is - in most cases - better quality than your municipal supply!

It's always best to state all your issues up front since many answer your first post without reading subsequent ones.

I have heard that the tap water in the cabins is filtered different than the water in the buffet/dining room. The water in the buffet/dining room is very safe to drink. I would never drink from the tap. Have always bought bottled water. If you are in Skagway, there is a grocery store not too far from the dock and you can stock up on the hugh 4 litre jugs for $1. I was there 2 years ago and accidently found the store. We went down a side street and there it was.

I have heard that the tap water in the cabins is filtered different than the water in the buffet/dining room.

Where did you hear this, may I ask? I was under the impression that the water is exactly the same.

Now, I know that once upon a time there were several different water systems on ships, but that's in the long ago and far away. As a matter of fact, the purest water was reserved for the engines on steam ships. Drinking water wasn't as pure!

there are hand-held water meters that test for all sorts of things, including salinity ( salt ) ...try doing a search for sodium water testers...there's quite a few websites to look at...with the OP's HBP problems, I wouldn't be leaving home without one :)

Thanks for all the helpful replies! As most of you ;) could tell from my thread starter, I did not mention, nor was I referring to the TASTE of the water. I personally drink water from the tap all the time at home. But anyway...

That's a good idea about the water tester thing. I could probably get my hands on one, but it seems much easier to go the bottled water route. As I was trying to say, it's too bad bottled water costs as much as soda, etc. Just doesn't make sense to me, but it's worth it rather than risk the health of my DH! Plus, wouldn't want to inconvenience our fellow passengers with that annoying MEDI-VAC helicopter :eek: !

As for me, it's true that I seem to gain more water weight on a cruise than anything else. And I am VERY strict with my diet and exercise :mad: . But it's possible that they use a lot of salt in the food, too, which I rarely use. Combine that with sodium in the water, and there you have it!

Take another lap around the deck!!!:D

sarahjane

I always buy 6 or 12 small bottles of EVIAN to drink. Unlike some bottled waters which are NOT the same (depending on where you buy them, different sources and bottling plants), EVIAN tastes the same the world over.

When I am on a cruise, I do not worry about the bottled water lacking fluoridation -- a few days without flouride is NOT going to suddently cause to "break out" with cavities.

Enjoy your cruise. If worried about too much salt in the water, mention it to the ship's doctor or the nurse early on. They can advise you if you should be concerned.

(I recall one lady university professor from Buffalo on a cruise who mentioned if she was going to have to pay for water, she would have a beer instead! We all got a nice laugh out of that comment.)

DD and I bought the large 2.00 bottles when going to visit a port. As a nurse I do not eat or drink on islands.

Linda

Unless it is a cruise tour provided meal ashore, I do not eat or drink ashore. On my Statendam baltic cruise I did the HAL trip into Moscow and did eat there for example. And before bottle water was everywhere, I would drink Coke ashore. But now I take a bottle of water from the ship and drink that ashore.

I have heard that the tap water in the cabins is filtered different than the water in the buffet/dining room.

Why in heaven's name would they put two de-salinization setups on each ship??

It's all the same water...

Archived