What cruise line if not Celebrity?

RhondaPerr

Question for seasoned cruisers...With the Millenium not sailing next Easter break, and no schedule on Celebrity fitting my time off, what would be your next choice? I was thinking about Hal but have never sailed on that line because people always say the age group is much older then 40-50's. I have sailed a number of times on Princess and RCI but I just don't put them in the same class as Celebrity.

Your help is much appreciated!

If you are planning to cruise during a school break, I think HAL would be a great line for you to try. Generally their passengers are older but there will be a younger group on board for holidays and their ships are wonderful!

They offer many amenities not found on Celebrity and their crews are fabulous! I'd say, give it a try - you will be pleasantly surprised!

This has always been our favorite cruiseline, even when we were in our 20's and cruising. The problem that has kept us away from them in the past few years is finding trips during the summer that take us to places we have yet to visit. Because of that we have started cruising Princess, but believe me, Princess is not close to Celebrity or Holland America.

You are correct IMO that Princess and RCI are not as good as Celebrity. Of the mainstream cruise lines HAL would be a good choice. There are differences between HAL and X but they are subjective and a matter of personel preference. I give X a 'slight' edge on HAL but not much.

Question for seasoned cruisers...With the Millenium not sailing next Easter break, and no schedule on Celebrity fitting my time off, what would be your next choice? I was thinking about Hal but have never sailed on that line because people always say the age group is much older then 40-50's. I have sailed a number of times on Princess and RCI but I just don't put them in the same class as Celebrity.

Hello Rhonda

Cathy and I are planning on going on RCCI's Legends of the Seas out of Tampa on March 17th 2007. That is even closer to home for us than Fort Lauderdale's Port Everglades. I noticed they have no Balcony's available on the web site so I emailed and asked about that. So far no answer from Royal Carribean on it. I agree it's hard to go from top notch like Millennium to something else but as you said it's not available next year when we are off. Still it would be nice if you could go on the same cruise as well. Anyway that's just what I am working on now BTW how's that leg doing?

Anything but Carnival..........

HAL would be my plan B. I'm 50, and I sailed on Oosterdam with my daughter who is now 26; we had a great time! I didn't think the pax on HAL were so much older, and I really liked the friendly service and lovely ship. If Celebrity didn't have a cruise going where/when I wanted to go, I'd be looking at HAL again. I agree that Princess is no big deal; wouldn't even consider Princess again.

Hello Rhonda

Cathy and I are planning on going on RCCI's Legends of the Seas out of Tampa on March 17th 2007. That is even closer to home for us than Fort Lauderdale's Port Everglades. I noticed they have no Balcony's available on the web site so I emailed and asked about that. So far no answer from Royal Carribean on it. I agree it's hard to go from top notch like Millennium to something else but as you said it's not available next year when we are off. Still it would be nice if you could go on the same cruise as well. Anyway that's just what I am working on now BTW how's that leg doing?

Hi,

My Easter break isn't till April 1st in 2007. If the Millie were available I would be booked by now. I think I might try Hal this time around. I was so not impressed with the service and food on RCI the last time we sailed...I like my status on Princess but on our trip to Alaska I was more impressed by the land portion and how incredibly well put together it was, than I was our cruise portion. I really think my heart belongs to Celebrity :)

My foot is not doing well. We can't get the swelling under control and the pain beyond anything I have ever experienced. I am special ed high school teacher though so staying home is just not an option...Thanks for asking :)

whoops just saw the ship you are going on.. We sailed her through the Panama Canal on a Christmas cruise several years ago. The staff was really nice at that time, the food was average :) Where will you be going?

Hi,

I really think my heart belongs to Celebrity :)

My foot is not doing well. We can't get the swelling under control and the pain beyond anything I have ever experienced. I am special ed high school teacher though so staying home is just not an option...Thanks for asking :)

I agree with that part. I love Celebrity only problem is the only available cruise they have in our time frame for next year is a 10 night one out of San Juan PR. Looks like I will probably take one on Royal Carribbean out of Tampa otherwise it would be Millennium again (drats on shipyards) Please keep us posted on that foot. I am concerned for you and hope that it heals fast and well.

David & Cathy

Our cruise lines of choice are X, HAL, and Princess. I wouldn't want to go on a large Princess ship during spring break time. Some of their smaller ships doing itineraries that don't attract families and college students would be nice.

I have cruised 5 times and 4 of them on Celebrity. While it is still my line of choice, at times, like this Easter, it's schedules do not match my family's. We tried the Sapphire Princess and found that except for the food and service in the main dining room it was a great substitute. Entertainment was excellent, the ship was great as was the day ahead program and embarkation. Disembarkation wasa out of this world. Our color was called at 0830 and by 0855 we had our luggage and were on the bus to LAX pulling out of the port facilities.

Before I get darts thrown at me I want to end by saying I cannot wait to try the new Century. Ice bar here I come!!

• 3 months later...

Had to cancel mt trip on the Galaxy for the med, has anyone been on the legend of the Seas. How does it compare. Is it a good second choice? I was on the Summit in March to Hawaii and found the food was not that great. The fish was terrible, poached and no taste. The lamb was excellent, the desserts just ok.

Rhonda, it depends on what you are looking for and your budget. Of course Crystal, SeaDream, and Oceania are all wonderful lines that would not attract as many families, but they carry a hefty price tag as well, especially that time of year. HAL does attract an older crowd and yet the spring time always brings families and cruising together thus not everyone will be using a walker. From what you have said I think you should give them a try. NMNita

Archived