So how rough is the Baltic in Summer

carole52m

Have just been reading all the posts about 26 foot seas and 75 mile per hour winds.

I am not a novice to sailing - and have hit rough seas twice.

Once on the Alaska cruise - enterring Glacier Bay - Mercury and the other in the Carribean - a week of rain and storms on the Westerdam

Just curious as to what to expect on the Baltic

Carribean - Westerdam - 2005

Alaska Mercury - 2003

Cant remember the ships but a while ago

Pacific Coast

Mexican Riviera

4 day Nassau/Bahamas - when we were very young

We did a 14-day Baltic cruise last summer, and indeed, it was much like a lake, more than a sea. But, on the last full day, we were out in the North Sea--big difference! :)

We did a 14-day Baltic cruise last summer, and indeed, it was much like a lake, more than a sea. But, on the last full day, we were out in the North Sea--big difference! :)

The North Sea is a big huge difference!!!

My father's B17, Dina-Mite, went down in the North Sea on April 3, 1945 and spent 12 hours a raft waiting to be rescued. The RAF knew where they were but the sea was too rough to get close enough. 50 years later he met up again with one of the men that saved his life and his crew's lives while he and my mother were travelling in England. There was a big writeup about the reunion in the local newspaper where the gentleman lived.

He doesn't talk about it much but I'm sure it was on his mind when were there in 2004.

I got some possible dissapointing news today too about my father. He has been having some neck pain and we are hoping that surgery will not be required. He and my mom are saying "you all" will just have to go on the Noordam with out us. I just can't imagine going with out them!!!

We were on the Baltic cruise in 1999 and the seas were very calm even the North sea as we commenced at Harwich and crossed it to Oslo.

Last year in July again we were in the North Sea, we were on the Maasdam from Boston to Rotterdam and again it was calm.

If you want rough seas go down south and that is another story. We sailed south from the Falklands in January to Antarctica and struck a Force 10/11 gale. A huge percentage of the crew were ill as well as many passengers.

Jennie

The North Sea is a big huge difference!!!

My father's B17, Dina-Mite, went down in the North Sea on April 3, 1945 and spent 12 hours a raft waiting to be rescued. The RAF knew where they were but the sea was too rough to get close enough. 50 years later he met up again with one of the men that saved his life and his crew's lives while he and my mother were travelling in England. There was a big writeup about the reunion in the local newspaper where the gentleman lived.

He doesn't talk about it much but I'm sure it was on his mind when were there in 2004.

I got some possible dissapointing news today too about my father. He has been having some neck pain and we are hoping that surgery will not be required. He and my mom are saying "you all" will just have to go on the Noordam with out us. I just can't imagine going with out them!!!

Joni, your dad, and all the other young men who fought for the allies in WWII, are true heroes. Don't want to go too much off topic here but my parents and many of their countrymen never forgot what those heroes did for them. Far too many paid the ultimate price! Please wish your father all the best with his health!

The Baltic is usually calm during the Summer. We were on the Rotterdam lasty August from Rotterdam to Copenhagen and we had very smooth seas.

Archived