Mariner AFT

We were hoping to book some cabins on the Liberty or Freedom for next June, but the prices are so high. So I'm looking and looking for something else and have holds on 7688 and 7690 AFT on the Mariner (we have 6 in family). Anyway, we did go on Mariner last summer - will we like it again the second time??? We always try to do a different ship, but last summer our Eastern Itinerary was changed to Western so we still want to try the Eastern again. Do other people keep going on the same ships over and over? It was a great ship and is alot cheaper than Freedom or Liberty. We've never done AFT before but I've read many good things about these cabins? Is there any sun? They look like big balconies. One more thing, if we end up moving kids around (if other families come with us), will we still be able to keep our 3 person AFT with only 2 people - wouldn't want a big surprise if they decide to move us.

If you are questioning doing the same ship again, then you are ready for a new experience. And aren't you lucky...........the Explorer, Mariner's older twin, is sailing out of New Jersey ALL SUMMER. Grab a 9 day Eastern Caribbean cruise out of Port Liberty, and have a blast!

(And you could put the money that you are saving on airfare into AN AFT JS!!!)

Actually, we've cruised out of NYC before, and prefer cruising out of a Florida port. To cruise on the Explorer would be more $$ anyway - even adding that airfare to Florida. They jack up the prices cruising out of NJ or NYC, so they are not really any cheaper than flying and cruising somewhere else.

I had the corner aft cabin above (8690) on the Mariner and although it was set up for 3, we only had 2 from the get-go. I wouldn't worry about losing it. I think the Freedom is the only one having issues right now on that. Anyway.. Deck 7 does have larger balconies but some slight obstructions from the framing over the back. From Deck 8 up there is no obstruction. That shouldn't be a problem though. The plus side is that it's nice to see the wake. The downside is that you have a pretty big hike to get anywhere. The Voyager Class ships only have 2 sets of elevators on each side and it's quite a ways from the aft of the ship (first set is mid-ship). Do a search on webshots for pictures of the Voyager Class ships for aft balconies to get an idea.

Edited to add: I think it's mostly covered but you may get some sun.

Regarding your questioning if you'll like doing the Mariner again.

We have sailed her three times. First time western, second time eastern with Paradise Island Nassau, St. Thomas and then St. Martin. We will be sailing the Mariner for the third time but this time going to Cococay, St. John, and St. Martin (our only repeat). But, speaking strictly about the ship there are things we probably still have not seen or done, the ship is amazingly beautiful and the decor is right down my alley (planes,cars).

We will be sailing the Mariner for the third time but this time going to Cococay, St. John, and St. Martin (our only repeat).

Thought you might like to see me shots from our recent Mariner Cruise to these stops. The link is below in my signature...

Great itenerary. Have a blast.

Thanks for your replies. We did love the Mariner and since we missed our Eastern itinerary the last time, we will try again. Will probably go ahead and reserve those cabins today. I'm sure we will eventually get other families to go with and may have to more around some kids - so hoping we can still keep our 3 person cabin for two (if that happens). I know the walk is far from the elevators (near the library), but is there a set of stairs towards the back? After all you eat on a cruise, we don't mind that walk.

Thanks for your replies. We did love the Mariner and since we missed our Eastern itinerary the last time, we will try again. Will probably go ahead and reserve those cabins today. I'm sure we will eventually get other families to go with and may have to more around some kids - so hoping we can still keep our 3 person cabin for two (if that happens). I know the walk is far from the elevators (near the library), but is there a set of stairs towards the back? After all you eat on a cruise, we don't mind that walk.

The first set of stairs you will come to are also by the library. We are doing the Mariner for the second time in Oct. If you loved it the first time, I think you will certainly like it the second. Although if you like doing something new each time, you may wish you had tried something different.

I hope you got them.

We've stayed in cabin 7690 and had friends in 7688. We loved them both. Great views, you'll love the porthole window in 7690. We had plenty of room and loved being right there withneighbors. This was our first aft and we loved it, and booked another. Unlike the aft ****s on this board I don't think it's the only way to go, and I don't think it's that much better than the sides, but we did really enjoy it. The only downfall was one night i decided to go out there late at night and relax on the chaise lounge. It was covered in black soot. This happened an average of 2-3 nights of the 7 night cruise. Also, everyone in the other afts has a great view of your balcony so it's not very private. It was ok for us because we were traveling with a big group and we all had the afts... so we went on the back porch and socialized. Not sure how I'll like it this year on freedom as we'll be back there alone.

but i think you'll enjoy it, go for it.

I just got off the Explorer last Sunday after spending a week in 7388 which is the opposite of 7688. I LOVED the cabin. The balcony is almost as large as the cabin itself, NO ONE could look down onto our balcony. The porthole opening was a nice perk and yes, there was a little soot on the chaise closest to the porthole, but we never used it so not a problem. Besides, we always put towels on the chaises since finding myself glued to a humid chair is not my idea of a good time!

There was only me and my mom in the cabin, so not having 3 people in the cabin wasn't a problem.

Is there any sun? We did Western Caribbean and we did get sun, especially in the mornings. What is nice about having the porthole is you get sun from the side of the ship as well.

I liked the superstructure of the ship so it never bothered me that our view was "obstructed". It was an extremely minor issue when compared to the size of the balcony and the expansive view that is all around you. Loved watching the wake and seeing the change in direction the ship was making.

Yes, it is a hike to get anywhere on the ship but let me give you a little secret: I gained only one pound on this cruise and I'm sure that all the walking I had to do to get from my cabin to anywhere else on the ship contributed to it!

No stairs in the back of the ship. Only ones are the ones by the elevators.

All in all I found the cabin to be extremely private and quiet. We only saw three crew members on their deck the entire week we were there and that was one at a time. We did hear staff announcements once in awhile, but I heard more from the people above me than from them.

Here is a link to Volume 1 of my photos. Should have the remainder posted in a week or so.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0BbM2zho5YsXEw

Enjoy your cruise!

Theresa

Archived