Red Hook Terminal, Brooklyn

[

Advice, Sorry but you don't have a clue. When on vacation we are all in unfamiliar territory. You would NEVER suggest to someone not familiar with any part of NYC that it was ok to take a subway, bus and then walk for a few blocks to the terminal loaded down with luggage, why not, whats wrong with NYC. From what I read crime in Philly is alot higher than NYC.

I agree with "you know a little bit", very very little. I'd guess you are just one paranoid person.

The port is at the very end of Red Hook, beginning of Cobble Hill which is a great area. I wouldn't walk anywhere loaded down with luggage but it has nothing to do with being in NYC.

I have lived and worked in NYC for 45 years and have never been mugged.

You might have to hide under the covers in Philly, but not in NYC.

Why would you even post that, just to scare people.

Ok, listen honey... I have only lived in Philadelphia for 3 years. I grew up in North Jersey and went into the city all of the time to shop, visit relatives and go to the theater. I lived on the Upper West Side of Manhattan for 12 years. I have worked in NYC for 28 years and continue to work there to this day. Yes, I was mugged once...in the subway...at MY subway station. Luckily the police were there, witnessing the whole incident and captured the criminal. I DO know about New York City and resent your comments. I am trying to help an out-of-towner to get to his destination safely. There is nothing wrong with NYC, but to the unfamiliar, it can have its hazards. Even you yourself stated you would never walk anywhere loaded with luggage. New York is a wonderful city, but I would never send anyone to an area they do not know via subway, then bus, then walking a few blocks....with luggage and probably valuables. We are here to help people, share information, not bash those trying to inform.

BTW, I don't hide under my covers here in Philly, but I do take my precautions.

You've lived and worked in NYC for 45 years yet you've never been mugged? And you call yourself a NewYorker...:rolleyes:

[

Advice, Sorry but you don't have a clue. When on vacation we are all in unfamiliar territory. You would NEVER suggest to someone not familiar with any part of NYC that it was ok to take a subway, bus and then walk for a few blocks to the terminal loaded down with luggage, why not, whats wrong with NYC. From what I read crime in Philly is alot higher than NYC.

I agree with "you know a little bit", very very little. I'd guess you are just one paranoid person.

The port is at the very end of Red Hook, beginning of Cobble Hill which is a great area. I wouldn't walk anywhere loaded down with luggage but it has nothing to do with being in NYC.

I have lived and worked in NYC for 45 years and have never been mugged.

You might have to hide under the covers in Philly, but not in NYC.

Why would you even post that, just to scare people.

To ALL,

Having just been to Red Hook for the first time on Saturday for the special Capt. Circle dinner, tour and cocktail hour I can tell you YOU DO NOT WANT TO WALK TO THE TERMINAL WITH OR WITHOUT LUGGAGE -- IT IS A VERY, VERY LONG WALK ONCE YOU ARE ON THE GROUNDS. You are on vacation -- why would you want to do all that work and be tired and hot arriving at the check in point? Even after you check in, there is a long walk and a long gangway to go on board the ship. Save yourself the trouble and make sure your hand luggage has wheels on it. You will be doing yourself a very big favor.

As far as the safety of the neighborhood, since we got a little lost at the very end of the drive we saw a little of the area. "Project Rennovation" has already started. This will destroy the character of the neighborhood once they start building high rises. Right now there are brownstones and a nice residential feel to the area which will all disappear. Housing prices will soar and the view of the water will be blocked by all the big buildings. The ethnic feel of the neighborhood will also be lost to "progress" and hungry real estate developers.

Although I was born and raised in NY and now live in Queens, I know very little about Brooklyn and nothing about Red Hook. Most people don't. This new cruise terminal has put Red Hook on the map and under the microscope. If you travel, it does not matter where in the world you go you always have to be mindful of where you are and take the normal precautions.

My advice, do not take public transportation and lug your luggage around. You will have many steps to climb and will only succeed in arriving hot and tired at the terminal.

Also, NYC buses do not allow you to take a lot of luggage on board since they are regular public transportation and their main focus is their passengers. You will not have a lot of space for your luggage on the bus and depending on the time of day the bus may be crowded. Plus, once you leave the bus you still have to walk to the terminal with your luggage. Red Hook does not have direct public transport to the pier as yet. Do yourself a favor, take a cab or car service to the pier. It is well worth the money.

Enjoy your sailing!

MARAPRINCE

How far is it from LaGuardia to the Red Hook terminal? Any estimates on taxi fare?

Jules1,

La Guardia Airport will run you about $40 for a taxi or a private car service. Total time is 40-50 minutes. I just was there on Saturday for the special Capt. Circle tour, cocktail hour and dinner. I live in Flushing which is right by La Guardia Airport. 95% of the ride is on the highway and no tolls.

MARAPRINCE

As a native New Yorker, I would STRONGLY recommend taking a car service or a "yellow" cab from your arrival point to the terminal. The terminal itself is new, but the area around it, is, at best, tough.

We loved the Manhattan skyline from the Crown on saturday, but be careful outside the terminal.

If you are driving to the terminal, they have a large parking lot (they said 600 cars) which is closed, secured and patrolled while you are away.

Maraprince

Having just been to Red Hook for the first time on Saturday for the special Capt. Circle dinner, tour and cocktail hour I can tell you YOU DO NOT WANT TO WALK TO THE TERMINAL WITH OR WITHOUT LUGGAGE -- IT IS A VERY, VERY LONG WALK ONCE YOU ARE ON THE GROUNDS. You are on vacation -- why would you want to do all that work and be tired and hot arriving at the check in point? Even after you check in, there is a long walk and a long gangway to go on board the ship. Save yourself the trouble and make sure your hand luggage has wheels on it. You will be doing yourself a very big favor.

What would you recommend -- hiring a town car or driving my own?

I was thinking of taking my own car and parking - saving $$$. But, by your statement above - it worries me for reasons.

Also, was there enough parking spots?

Enjoyed the info on the pier, we are arriving from California and have opted to stay at the New York Marriott Brooklyn Bridge, can anyone tell me how far we might be from the pier, we plan on taking a cab. We are cruising 9/3. We need to make this as easy as we can, no stress.

Hi All, Habari, if you must take the subway from Penn Station, Then you have to take the F train. There is no G train from Manhattan. As all the others say, and I agree with them I wouldn't reccomend taking the train. I've lived in Queens all my life so I'd stay at the Panam hotel on Queens Blvd in the Elmhurst section of Queens. Its a good area and I live a few blocks from there. It's about $100 a night and you can check their website out at http://www.panamhotel.com My friends have stayed their and it's just a room, nothing at all elegant but good enough for a night. There is a free pickup shuttle from Laguardia and JFK Airport. A taxi from the hotel to the pier will run between $30 and $40. I live in Elmhurst and I'll be on the Crown on the July 20th sailing and I'll be taking a car service to the pier. With suitcases you have to treat yourself. I work at JFK Airport and I take the Q10 bus and I hate when passengers take their big suitcases. It's hard to get around them. I hope that this helps and if I can be of any service, just ask, George

hey i just wanted to make a quick comment about the debate on red hook, bklyn. i happen to live about 6-8 minutes away from the terminal and its really not that bad of a neighborhood. alot of areas of brooklyn have been cleaning up and becoming better and red hook happens to be one of them. so no worries there.

however, i really would have to agree with everyone saying DO NOT take public transportation! its just a big pain in the butt, especially if you don't know the subways or buses. like someone said, you're on vacation! spend a couple extra bucks and call for a cab or something :) taking a taxi from manhattan to red hook isn't that pricey because its downtown bklyn. (i guess it all depends where in manhattan you're coming from).

other than that, i'm going on the crown princess for 9 days on july 20th and i'm very excited! :)

We are going on the Crown on July 29th. Now to add my two cents on the Transportation issue.... My wife and I like to be adventurous. We take Public Transportation whenever we Travel: Subways in Chicago, DC and NYC, Trains in Florida, Baltimore, Pennsylvania, Buses and Buses around the Country, Mexico and the Carribean. We will be taking the Train from Albany to Penn Station. Public Transportation is a great way to get a feel of an area. With that said, we will be taking a Town Car from Penn Station to Red Hook. We found one for $38.00. This is my vacation and even though I am a Public Transportion Fan - Train to Subway to Bus, then walking is just a little too much for the start of my vacation

hey i just wanted to make a quick comment about the debate on red hook, bklyn. i happen to live about 6-8 minutes away from the terminal and its really not that bad of a neighborhood. alot of areas of brooklyn have been cleaning up and becoming better and red hook happens to be one of them. so no worries there.

however, i really would have to agree with everyone saying DO NOT take public transportation! its just a big pain in the butt, especially if you don't know the subways or buses. like someone said, you're on vacation! spend a couple extra bucks and call for a cab or something :) taking a taxi from manhattan to red hook isn't that pricey because its downtown bklyn. (i guess it all depends where in manhattan you're coming from).

other than that, i'm going on the crown princess for 9 days on july 20th and i'm very excited! :)

Your Roll Call: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=166147

Just read your post--I'm doing to 7/11 Crown cruise and had another question for you. We will be staying in Times Square overnight then catching a cab to the Red Hook Terminal. I know you said it depended on where in Manhattan one was travelling from--approx. how long a cab ride would this be? Also, after debarkation, we will be going directly from the pier to LaGuardia Airport. How long do you think that will take? Thanks for any help.

Thanks Marie & Rick,

I called the Entertainment Bus Co. and they do leave out of the Bonanza Bus terminal in Providence, RI @ 7:45 AM. We meet them at the Red Hook Terminal on the 16th at 12:30 PM. It will be about 1/3 the cost of the 15 passenger van.

With just a few weeks to go we are all getting excited. I don't understand why there hasn't been more response to this thread, other cruises on the Crown have tons of posts.

Gem ;)

Thanks Marie & Rick,

I called the Entertainment Bus Co. and they do leave out of the Bonanza Bus terminal in Providence, RI @ 7:45 AM. We meet them at the Red Hook Terminal on the 16th at 12:30 PM. It will be about 1/3 the cost of the 15 passenger van.

With just a few weeks to go we are all getting excited. I don't understand why there hasn't been more response to this thread, other cruises on the Crown have tons of posts.

Gem ;)

I am on the Aug 7th cruise on the Crown and we are catching the bus in Providence (also from Southeatern Mass). The cost was $60 per person. My TA says that they drive you right to the ship - so I hope she is right! I would hate to have a long walk after a 4+ hour bus ride!.:)

Sbharr,

We took the Entertainment bus several years ago from South Station to NY pier when going to Bermuda on Celebrity. I wish I knew that it also left from Providence. At that time there was no charge or it might have been hidden in the cost of the cruise. Anyway, they did drop us off right at the front of the terminal and took all of the luggage to the luggage drop off point. It was great. The one thing we should have done is bring snacks and drinks for the bus ride. Our children were teenagers then and were always hungry.

Gem ;)

Please remember I am not advertising for these Guys

But they are Called Andrea Town Car Taxi Service

718-392-9191 and their Web site is:

http://1-718-392-9805.com/?OVRAW=taxi%20new%20york&OVKEY=taxi%20new%20york&OVMTC=standard

Good luck

Thanks for the info.

Just called them and it is $29 (total) from LGA-Red Hook. But they dont pick up in Red Hook, only drop off. Which does not make sense to me. But that is a good price. :)

ozland, if you're traveling from downtown manhattan to the terminal i'd say it'd be about a 20 minute car ride. from midtown prob 30 mins at the least. don't forget to factor in traffic and such as there is bound to be some on the bridges and/or tunnel. i'd leave at least an hour in advance of whatever time you want to be at the terminal because u'd probably rather be early than sitting in traffic with only minutes to spare :)

My husband and I went to see the Crown when she was christened. What a beautiful ship. We couldn't get on her, but we wanted to check out the terminal anyway. We've never cruised before. We parked our car right outside the terminal and had a very long walk across the terminal parking lot to get to the ship. Taxis, Limos and buses can drive you right up to the entrance. There's a really nice little roundabout where the maiden voyage cruisers were arriving- right next to the ship. Inside the terminal (and out) there were tons of helpful employees just standing around waiting to help anyone. It reminded me of an airport terminal except Much, Much Nicer and more organized. I wish I had brought my camera.

Anyway we got lots of useful information and directions from this site:

http://brooklyncruiseguide.com/cruise-terminal.html

Crown Princess July29

Archived