Vancouver Info if needed

We have stayed at the Times Square Suites in the past. They are very good & are in a good location, with parking & good facilities. They are on a busy street so it is noisy with the window open on the street side, but I think all the downtown places would be like that. Good choice!:)

Graham.

Just a tip that I haven't seen mentioned yet....

There is a severe shortage of cabs in Vancouver, don't even think of getting one in the evening on a weekend. At best it would be a 2 hour wait - in my experience.

During the day, it can be hit or miss. I would allow at least 30 mins wait time when planning a cab ride.

Does anyone else from Vancouver agree?

Well I can't speak for weekends or evenings but yes, during the day a 30 min wait would probably be a good rule unless you are departing from one of the major downtown hotels or airports where there are generally cabs lined up.

• 2 weeks later...

This tread has been so helpful to me - thanks to all the contributors.

We are staying for 5 nights post cruise in an apartment at The Park on Alberni Street.

I have been trying to get my bearings but how far would we be from English Bay ?

My other questions are where would we get the seabus in order to visit Lynn Canyon? What transport would we need from the seabus in order to get there? I think we will probably go to Lynn Canyon in preference to the Capilano Suspension Bridge is this a sensible option?

Thanks once again

Best wishes

Gill

If that is the Lord Stanley suites at the Park Hotel. You are a block and a bit away from the park. Easy walk to the entrance.

Lynne Canyon park is I think a wilderness park along the Capilano River. Not that much there but trees and water falls. It usually just makes the news when someone drowns or hurts themselves by falling. Maybe somebody can assist in that better than I.

The seabus is available on the waterfront near Canada place. Just East actually and will take you to North Vancouver's transit hub at the Lonsdale Quay. goggle map it & have a peak.

If that is the Lord Stanley suites at the Park Hotel. You are a block and a bit away from the park. Easy walk to the entrance.

Lynne Canyon park is I think a wilderness park along the Capilano River. Not that much there but trees and water falls. It usually just makes the news when someone drowns or hurts themselves by falling. Maybe somebody can assist in that better than I.

The seabus is available on the waterfront near Canada place. Just East actually and will take you to North Vancouver's transit hub at the Lonsdale Quay. goggle map it & have a peak.

Thanks for that - we are staying at an apartment block called The Park not an hotel, do you happen to know of it?.

I thought there was a suspension bridge at Lynn Canyon but I could be mistaken. Thanks once again

Gill

Thanks for that - we are staying at an apartment block called The Park not an hotel, do you happen to know of it?.

I thought there was a suspension bridge at Lynn Canyon but I could be mistaken. Thanks once again

Gill

Can you give us an address for the Park and that will help us?

Yes there is a Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge and it is free, it is part of a park in the Lynn Valley area of North Vancouver. The Capilano one is about 5 miles to the west of the Lynn Canyon SB and the Capilano one is private but has a bunch of dispalys and exhibits. I have lived in Vancouver and never been to the Capilano one, it is kind of a tourist thing. However it is is on the way to the Cleveland Dam, the fish hatchery and the Grouse Mountain Sky Ride. You can access the Lynn Valley SB by bus and here is a link to our transit system. http://www.translink.bc.ca/default.asp

The Park is situated at 1723 Alberni Street - I have been told it is quite close to Stanley Park.

Thanks for the Lynn Canyon transport information.

Best wishes

Gill

No I can't say that I know the building but it is in an area of Vancouver known as the West End which is Vancouver's dense highrise neighbourhood. You will be just a few blocks from Stanely Park, one block of Georgia St. where you will find all kinds of transit buses. Just a block or so to Denman St. and Robson St. with all of their shops and restaurants. You can walk south on Denman to English Bay or north to Coal Harbour, the yacht basin of Vancouver. I think you will love the location, hope you enjoy Vancouver.

Oh I meant to tell you that if you carry on up Lynn Valley road you will come to a park calledd the Lynn Valley Demonstration Forest where you can hike around in on very well defined trails.

My DH and I are thinking of popping up to Grouse Mtn. when we are there in mid-April. LeftCoastBC, I'm hoping you will be able to help. Will we still find plenty of snow? Would love to try snowshoeing and some ice-skating. Will we be too late? Is the lumberjack show also offered now or just in spring/summer. The website is vague on availability! Thanks so much for any and all help.

I just phoned over to the hill and they said all of their winter programs will be open until the end of April. The actual conditons in mid-April will depend upon the kind of spring we have but so far it has been cool and dry; nothing to melt a ton of snow so far. The logging show is just a late spring and summer attraction, however the bears will likely be out by mid April.

Hi there..I live in Vancouver and have worked at several of the hotels in the city..and have also worked on cruise ships before, so I've done more Alaska cruises than I care to admit..I'll gladly answer any questions about the city, cruising or what have you! :)

Hi, this is my first time to visit vancouver, I will rent a van (with 7 people) and drive from Seattle to Vancouver on May 10th about noon, and we are planning to visit butchart garden on the 11th. My questions are:

1) Is it only one way (i think I-5) from Seattle to Vancouver? I read a post (forget where I found) that some entrances to vancouver will be less traffic?

2) I am confused with the ferry informationt on site to Butchart garden. It seems I need to pay for the van to "travel" on the ferry? Do I sit inside my van or separate? Some posts say I need to reserve to save $15? Do you know how does it work?

3) Do you know if there is an entertainment book in Canada that have coupon for the ticket to Butchart garden? I am thinking if there is one, we may save $$ to buy one even though we use the book just for this trip.

Thanks in advance for any advices that you may provide.

Hi, this is my first time to visit vancouver, I will rent a van (with 7 people) and drive from Seattle to Vancouver on May 10th about noon, and we are planning to visit butchart garden on the 11th. My questions are:

1) Is it only one way (i think I-5) from Seattle to Vancouver? I read a post (forget where I found) that some entrances to vancouver will be less traffic?

There are several roads off of I-5 but that is the main road. At Bellingham you can go off onto The Guide Meridian to two border crossing. Aldergrove and Huntington (You end up in the Fraser Valley 80 Ks from Vancouver)

Just south of Blaine you can take a road that is clearly marked to the "Truck" crossing (where cars and vans are welcome) If you continue on you will hit the Peace arch and the main border crossing

Listen to AM 730 or 1130 the former has better traffic and border info.

2) I am confused with the ferry informationt on site to Butchart garden. It seems I need to pay for the van to "travel" on the ferry? Do I sit inside my van or separate? Some posts say I need to reserve to save $15? Do you know how does it work?

Ferry is from Tsawassen, BC to Vancouver Island and you drive on. Park your vehicle and enjoy a relaxing 1 3/4 hour ride to the Island. All facilities on board. In May you likely would not need reservations unless travelling on a holiday or weekend. Reservations are what costs extra.

3) Do you know if there is an entertainment book in Canada that have coupon for the ticket to Butchart garden? I am thinking if there is one, we may save $$ to buy one even though we use the book just for this trip.

No info

Thanks in advance for any advices that you may provide.

Good Luck

As a follow up to Leftcoast's response, if you do elect to take the Guide Merridain Exit, then use the Lynden/Aldergrove border crossing, it is the straightest of the two and the Huntington/Sumas puts you well east of where you need to be going. For the most part the Lynden Crossing is going to save time however if you have to cross over the Feaser River on the Port Mann bridge and if there is an accident on it then you are hooped. The Truck Crossing as we call it is well marked and is usually a shorter wait then the Peace Arch crossing. If you use the Truck Crossing; once you are thru you continue to the 1st traffic light, a short mile up the road (the Campbell River Store is on the right), turn left at this light and proceed about a mile where you will join HWY 99 which is the BC extension of I-5. You will go thru a tunnel and over a bridge and it will take you right into downtown. It is more direct then going via Lynden because the trip into town is a little more complicated. By the way, gas up the van in Blaine, WA, there are 3 stations just before the Truck Crossing, it is much cheaper there than in BC.

In addtion to the commercial radio stations, watch for a sign just north of Bellingham, WA that will give you a low wattage but dedicated radio station that will give the traffic conditons at the border crossings. You should also see a "readagraph" type of sign north of Bellingham giving the border waits.

Here is the link to the BC Ferries site which will give fares and schedules; even the type of ferry you will be on. http://www.bcferries.com/

The Entertainment Books tend to be city specific so there will be one for Vancouver and one for Victoria. Yes you can save money with them but only you can decide if it is worthwhile. Here is their link: http://www.entertainment-savings-offers.com/entertainment-book/

One last thought on the border crossings, the earlier you are there, both north & south, generally the shorter the wait.

Op's it just dawned on me, you are staying at the Airport-Delta. Your only 2 border crossing options are the Peace Arch (Blaine/Douglas) or the Truck Crossing (Pacific Hwy) as they and Hwy 99 will put you right where you need to exit to get to your hotel.

May I suggest that you download directions and a map from "mapquest", I think it would be a big help to you.

1) As you come close to the border (a mile before it) ,you have two options at exit 275 on I5. Straight ahead on I5 is the Douglas "Peace Arch" crossing, or taking Hwy 543 to the Pacific Highway "Truck" crossing. I give both names as local radio will report them by the 'local' name as opposed to the official name most of the name. Tune to 730, 980 or 1130 for good traffic reports 10 miles before you get to the border. This is important as it's not unusual for one crossing to be a full hour faster than the other. Generally, but not always the Pacific Highway crossing has less wait times. It also has the benefit of a gas station right before the border (as gas prices are 20-30% higher in Canada).

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=48.995087,-122.738056&spn=0.03041,0.085144&z=13

2) The ferry is a significant vessel, that carries 300+ cars and 2000 passengers, 600ft long with 6 decks, Yes, you'll get a chance to get out of your car. You're not taking a short journey. The ferry takes 90 minutes, and should cost around $40/ea way for the van, and 11/ea for passengers. You should budget a trip time of approx 5 hours (45 min drive 30-120min wait for ferry, 100 minute crossing, another 30 minutes on the Victoria side). The ferries are busiest in the early morning, the 7am ferry often selling out at 5:30am. You can reserve for an additional $17.50 fee each way and not be worried if it's already full. http://bcferries.bc.ca/ for full details, you're looking for the Tsawwassen - Swartz Bay ferry crossing. (BC Ferries is one of the largest ferry systems in the world in terms of vehicle miles/passenger miles carried)

I was wondering about the Empire Landmark Hotel. Is it okay to stay at. There are good and bad reviews about it. I know it is an old hotel but I need where you cand smoke because my hb smokes and they also have balconies because is the outdoors type. Thank you for any information you give me.:) :) :)

Haven't stay at the Empire Landmark but the location is good - closer to Stanley Park - at the west end of the Robson Street shopping and restaurant district.

Hope this helps a little.

Cheers

Dennis

I have booked a pre-cruise tour that is in Whistler for 2 nites. We arrive in Vancouver of Aug. 14th-stay over in Vancouver and the next morning take the

train from Vancouver to Whistler.

Two nights in Whistler and then take a bus to Vancouver to start our cruise.

Would you recommend this, or would you stay in Vancouver for three nights instead?

Thanks

That's a tough question that you pose - Whistler would be great in August - click on this link to see what happens there in the summer - it's usually a beehive of activity. The train ride up is spectacular - especially along Howe Sound and through Cheakamus Canyon - the bus ride back gives you a different view of the beauty of the Sea to Sky corridor.

http://tourismwhistler.com/www/things_to_do/activities/summer.asp

Then again - have you been to Vancouver before or are you likely to get back to this little piece of heaven anytime soon.

http://www.tourismvancouver.com

Hope this helps and I am sure some of the other locals will provide you with their suggestions on this matter.

Cheers

Dennis