Vancouver Info if needed

So did you adventure in Pittsburgh for big celebration today - interesting to note that three of the 4 major sports championship teams are based in PA - the Phillies, the Steelers, and now the Pens - the little agitator Matt Cooke played here in Vancouver before moving on to Pittsburgh and he was a big pain in the butt to opposition players here as well.

Wonder how much longer Sid the Kid will want to stay renting a room from Mario.

Cheers

Dennis

Did not want to venture into that crowd even though my son wanted to. Watched on TV. Interesting though last Wed. was my sons birthday and we went to a Pittsburgh restaurant and Dan Bylsma was there w/wife and son. He went over to shake hands (he was wearing a Pens jersey) and Dan came over to our table after they were done and wished him a Happy Birthday and we took pictures of them. Really nice down to earth guy. He got his email address and is going to email him in a couple days to invite him out here for golf. BTW we in western Pa. don't claim Philadelphia as part of Pa. we say it belongs to New Jersey. When we were in Vancouver and watched the game against Chicago we rooted for the Canucks hoping for maybe a match up with us. Maybe next year.

dunaldo - one reason why I have a fondness for the City of Pittsburgh is that my paternal grandparents have roots in the coal country and there are a lot of cousins still in the region on my grandmother's side. While I haven't had contact with them several of my cousins have visited or correspond to each other.

I watched the final in my hotel room overlooking a swimming pool with 80+ Degree temps while drinking a cold one.

Last year on my way to NYC on the train for my repo cruise I had a stopover on Philly on the day that the celebration took place - the Amtrak station was overrun with Red shirts and screaming kids - I was happy to get back on the train and get some peace and quiet.

Cheers

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

I will be in Vancouver for about 24 hours in July. I fly in around 11am and am staying at the L'Hermitage on Robson & Richards. Does anyone know of this hotel? And/or good places for dinner in the area. My Grandma is elderly so its hard for her to get in and out of cars, etc.. Somewhere pretty close would be ideal.

Also, would you you recommend we do the hoho tour straight through the day we fly in or would the pre-cruise landsea tour be a better idea the morning before the cruise.

What would you do with a free afternoon/evening in the city?

Could you please tell me where my Plaza 500 hotel is located to known places such as Robson Street or other landmark .What is close by ?

How far is HOHO trolley from it ?

How far from Cruise ship Terminal? Canada Place ?

I cannot seem to get an idea as to where it is.....:( :( :(

Slsa - can't give you much of an insight to the L"hermitage as it is a fairly new property in our downtown Yaletown area - there are a number of restaurants in the area - one that I always recommend is the White Spot and institution in Vancouver for over 80 years - there is one located at Georgia and Seymour - a short two blocks from your hotel - here is there web link:

http://www.whitespot.ca

By the time you get from the airport to your hotel it will likely be late afternoon - you are probably going to want to relax before dinner - in the area of your hotel is our civic theaters, library and Yaletown - this would take up your early evening - if you want to go any shopping - Pacific Center with a Sears is two blocks away - there is an IGA Marketplace adjacent to your hotel that also has a deli

The Landsea tour would be a good idea on your departure date as they will transport your luggage.

Hope this helps a bit with your planning.

Cheers

Dennis

Mmemichele - the bad news is that you are not in the downtown core but across False Creek and across the street from City Hall - you will need to take a bus or taxi to a downtown location to pick up the HOHO - Library Square would be close to the buses.

However - all is not lost at your hotel - across the street is City Square mall with shopping and restaurants and there is a White Spot restaurant across the street.

I can't tell from your post as to when you will be visiting Vancouver but if it after Labour Day - our new Rapid Transit line will be in service and you are only two blocks to the Broadway and Cambie Station and then only about a 5 minute trip to downtown and Granville Station in the heart of the downtown core.

Hope this helps some

Cheers

Dennis

Could you please tell me where my Plaza 500 hotel is located to known places such as Robson Street or other landmark .What is close by ?

How far is HOHO trolley from it ?

How far from Cruise ship Terminal? Canada Place ?

I cannot seem to get an idea as to where it is.....:( :( :(

if you bring up a map of Vancouver, the Plaza 500 is 1block south of the intersection of BROADWAY and CAMBIE street. I don't believe any HOHO's go near it. Depending on when your cruise is, (if you're on/after Labour Day) you will be able to take a brand new subway system which has a station one block from your hotel, straight to Canada Place/Cruise Terminal (and Robson St is one station before Waterfront/Canada Place). The Cambie bus also has very very frequent service into downtown.

Hello,

I want to try to use Priceline. Everybody seems to have good deal so, I think I have to try.

But first, I need to know which part is the best.

With Priceline, they ask which part I want. There is Downtown and I think City Hall downtown.

Could you help me please ?

Charlot

Hello,

I want to try to use Priceline. Everybody seems to have good deal so, I think I have to try.

With Priceline, they ask which part I want. There is Downtown and I think City Hall downtown.

Charlot

You want "DOWNTOWN". The area "CITY HALL" is about a mile south of downtown , near the intersection of Broadway and Cambie

Hello,

Charlot

If you can be specific Say downtown and west end or yaletown:cool::cool:

If you can be specific Say downtown and west end or yaletown:cool::cool:

Priceline bids don't allow you to be any more specific than "Downtown". However, all the winning 4* bids have been very nice hotels. No clunkers. :)

Anything on Priceline in the Downtown-Vancouver area at 3.5* plus will place you in hotels in a safe area and convenient to most downtown attractions. All will will be within a $10 cab fare of the cruise ship terminals with the possible execeptiion of the Westin Bayshore which will be $3 to $5 more.

We are taking the train (cascades 510) from seattle to vancouver on the morning that our cruise departs. What mode of transportation would you suggest from the train to the terminal? I have been told Royal Caribbean uses Ballentyne pier.

Thank You in advance:)

Edited by wannacruisemore
spelling

We are taking the train (cascades 510) from seattle to vancouver on the morning that our cruise departs. What mode of transportation would you suggest from the train to the terminal? I have been told Royal Caribbean uses Ballentyne pier.

Unless you want to go by limo your only other option will be to go by cab, your cab fare from the train station to Ballantyne pier which RCL uses will run you about $10.

There will not be a lot of cabs at the station so if Possible try to be off as quick as you can and into customs/immigration. If not relax and take your time as there may be a wait. Cab is really the only option to Ballantyne from there that I'm aware of also.

A taxi is really your only option. Ballantyne is in the industrial heart of the dock area, and not easily accessible by transit, or even walking. However,it's only about a $10 cab ride from Pacific Station.

Hi Scottbee, Just checking, do you happen to know if the Fairmont YVR has its own shuttle to the Fairmont Waterfront. I know the YVR Airporter is available but was hoping for a smaller regular shuttle. Thanks for your help.:)