Would Anyone turn down the Inaugural Cruise on Freedom? If Yes, Why?

I realize things will need some smoothing out but are there any real issues I should be concerned with because we are about to change our 7-30-06 Mariner cruise (which I've heard nothing but good things about) to the 6-4-06 Freedom cruise. We have pros and cons with our schedules for making the change, particularly June being not so much of a worry with hurricanes! We are also very psyched about the Freedom, she looks awesome!

My main worry is if my kids will not be able to enjoy things like the h20 zone and the kids program due to overcrowding.

Advice is needed, we need to decide in the next few hours!

Not to single out this particular ship, but I personally would avoid any inaugural cruise, no matter what ship or line. Not only are the mechanical kinks not worked out yet, but the staff and crew are not used to the ship either. It can make for slow service, excessively long lines.

I've been on a ship that was on its third revenue sailing (Disney Magic) and while we had a great time, there were lots of complaints we witnessed by a lot of passengers. Usually it takes around 3 months for a ship to smooth things over and get the rythm going.

I've been reading CC for years, longer than my profile shows and have read many poor reviews of new ships, especially a new ship. Also, ships just out of a major dry dock/refurbishment don't get real high marks. Not to say some people don't enjoy inaugural cruises, I'm sure there are some that do.

Of course, I'm the type of person who waits a couple of weeks for the blockbuster movie crowds to die down, I'm in no hurry to see them. I refuse to go to a grand opening of stores, too crowded and employees not yet able to be at full knowledge of all functions yet. I don't have to be first for anything.

So, I'd not endorse it, then again, I have absolutely no inclination to sail on a ship that size, either, I hate being part of a herd. Six thousand people plus has no appeal to me. The prices, I feel, are way out of line for that type of cruise experience.

As hindsight is always better information, we'll have to wait and see if RCI can pull this one off.

Honestly, either one will have a lot of kids but just the timing probably means there will be more on your Mariner one. I wouldn't hesitate to do the Freedom. Actually i'm leaving tomorrow and will be on a 2 night sailing so should have a bit better idea after that.

I just had over 100 guests on Mariner at Spring Break and did not get a single negative comment.

I don't think the H2O zone will be nuts, as I don't expect a total overload of kids. It's an inaugural (thus a bit more expensive), and it's on the cusp of schools being in/out.

As for the crew's familiarity with the ship.....one of my friends on the service crew has been on FR since March 8th. That's nearly three months to get familiar. The preview cruises aren't "full up", yet everything (read booze) is free so they are working their behinds off! :) It's not like she sailed from Finland cold and loaded her up with 4000 passengers...they've had a chance to ramp up a bit.

Good luck with your decision, and if you decide to join us, be sure to sign up for the Meet and Mingle and come introduce yourselves on our Roll Call thread!!!

Tracy

Actually i'm leaving tomorrow and will be on a 2 night sailing so should have a bit better idea after that.

Have a fantastic time! If you meet a nice guy from the Dominican Republic, tell him Tracy says hello and he will take wonderful care of you! :)

Tracy

We sailed the inagural on the explorer when she came out, no problems what so ever, doing the inagural on the freedom, lines or no lines, I am pumped up for a great time. We have done this itinerary before, so we will be in no hurry to rush off the ship.

I don't think the H2O zone will be nuts, as I don't expect a total overload of kids. It's an inaugural (thus a bit more expensive), and it's on the cusp of schools being in/out.

As for the crew's familiarity with the ship.....one of my friends on the service crew has been on FR since March 8th. That's nearly three months to get familiar. The preview cruises aren't "full up", yet everything (read booze) is free so they are working their behinds off! :) It's not like she sailed from Finland cold and loaded her up with 4000 passengers...they've had a chance to ramp up a bit.

Good luck with your decision, and if you decide to join us, be sure to sign up for the Meet and Mingle and come introduce yourselves on our Roll Call thread!!!

Tracy

Tracy, good points. Another good point or 2 is that much of the crew are coming from Voyager ships, which are just a shorter version of Freedom with 500 less people. Therefore, they are already familiar with the ship. And, when you are talking about that many people, what is another 500? Also, Freedom has already had several pre-inaugural cruises. Once she starts here revenue cruises in June, she will have been sailing for over a month.

to the op...I would book it. It is a great ship for kids and adults alike.

I wouldn't sail on such a big ship. the lines will be long and people will feel like cattle.
NOT TRUE!You do not know what you are talking about!

In fact we saw longer lines on the smaller ships! We were on the Adventure of the seas and the lines were shorter than on the Empress, Legend or Radiance or Serenade.:p

NOT TRUE!You do not know what you are talking about!

In fact we saw longer lines on the smaller ships! We were on the Adventure of the seas and the lines were shorter than on the Empress, Legend or Radiance or Serenade.:p

You are correct because there are more places for people to be and eat on larger ships therefore they are not all crammed into small spaces. I prefer larger ships too!!

Been on three of the five Voyager Class Ships. Lines were bigger for us on the Radiance Class Ships. I know everyone views things different but I would absolutely have gone on the Freedom if I could have afforded it............ Booked October though :)

Didn't experience any lines on Brilliance, on the other hand, the only line I remember on Voyager was in the Windjammer. In my opinion, the buffet "islands" concept on Radiance class is much better than the traditional single buffet line like Voyager. Luckily, they implemented the buffet islands on Freedom, on a smaller scale than Radiance class though.

Marc

who is cruised Boston to NYC for FREE. She loved it ! Interesting that everyone on the ship from england was RCCL execs, an top employees working & training the new hires, and they leave to return to their ships in June. So folks on the first cruise out of Miami will have the newbies but they will be well trained. Waiters have to carry 16 full meals on a tray the entire dining room from the escalators of the kitchen. Steward have to turn down an entire room to white glove cleaniness in less than 15 minutes. The Police Force is also well trained to respond to an alert in under 90 seconds. Yes they do have a Police Force on Freedom since it is a city.

So you will enjoy yourselves very much..........

I'd likely turn down any trip on the Freedom. I was on Mariner for my honeymoon and it was just too big for my liking.
Us too, much too large. I can't imagine how long it would take to get people off the ship where you must tender. No thanks.

who is cruised Boston to NYC for FREE.

Ummm, Freedom hasn't been to Boston yet.

Interesting that everyone on the ship from england was RCCL execs, an top employees working & training the new hires, and they leave to return to their ships in June. So folks on the first cruise out of Miami will have the newbies but they will be well trained.

This isn't entirely true either. Many of us have friends who have worked multiple years with RCI, who have been on Freedom since early March. They are on for their full six month contracts. From what they tell me there are hardly any new service staff...most are experienced crew from other ships.

Tracy

Us too, much too large. I can't imagine how long it would take to get people off the ship where you must tender. No thanks.
I would second this. I would also agree with not wanting to be on it until it was "broken in". I know it's been around a little while now, but not with 3600 passengers on it (yet).

I would prefer to go in winter with fewer kids and and also to avoid having to hear Matt Yee at the Schooner Bar. He's so obnoxious, yet he's always on the newest ships, grr.

Matt Yee is only on Freedom for the pre-inaugurals. He leaves for Alaska on June 3rd.

Tracy

Archived