Playa Uvas

rscima

This isn't a problem for me, as those rocks make great places for fish to hang out for snorkeling. But I would suggest that you bring aqua socks or water shoes to protect any delicate tootsies.

Since this time of the year is "winter" I can't find any water shoes or aqua socks?

Does someone know where if Playa Uvas sells them there? And if they do about how much do they cost?

Thanks BeadBabe & Endi for your great review! I can't wait to get there!!

Since this time of the year is "winter" I can't find any water shoes or aqua socks?

Does someone know where if Playa Uvas sells them there? And if they do about how much do they cost?

Thanks BeadBabe & Endi for your great review! I can't wait to get there!!

Lady in Tx...did you try your local Walmart? Or try a local sporting goods store (REI, Big 5) or a local dive shop. Or if you are arriving in your outgoing US port of call early, I bet a local Walgreens will have some. If not, most all the pier towns I went to had swim gear available, just more spendy than they would be at home. In Cozumel, there are tons of little tourist shops right off the pier, someone is bound to have them...if you can't find them anywhere else.

Lady in Tx...did you try your local Walmart? Or try a local sporting goods store (REI, Big 5) or a local dive shop. Or if you are arriving in your outgoing US port of call early, I bet a local Walgreens will have some. If not, most all the pier towns I went to had swim gear available, just more spendy than they would be at home. In Cozumel, there are tons of little tourist shops right off the pier, someone is bound to have them...if you can't find them anywhere else.

I think there is one dive shop about 45 min. from where i live..and we don't have a REI or big 5. I think I may wait until I get to Galveston. I'm sure they would have some! if not there is always cozumel!

Thanks again!

I think there is one dive shop about 45 min. from where i live..and we don't have a REI or big 5. I think I may wait until I get to Galveston. I'm sure they would have some! if not there is always cozumel!

Thanks again!

Galveston stores (Walmart, KMart, Walgrees) will have some for sure.

I did a lot of research before we left in August. I had to have a place for all age groups and to keep the teens busy. I chose them because of their website. I saw what I liked and read what they had to offer and said well lets just do it! I could not have been happier. The 2 other families that came with us were thrilled. My daughter had the pool to her self and really just loved being there. The food was superb, the drink and the warm people that greeted us and kept us happy. When It was time to leave I wanted just a few more hours to relax and enjoy that beautiful blue water. Will return again. I did book through their webpage and Eduardo was prompt to respond with any questions I had. Snorkling was fun for my daughter she got 1st class treatment. Means a lot.

Hi! Just wanted to know if you went to UVAS. If you did, how was the weather? We're heading there in February. Did you see Bill Gates anywhere? I read in the news he was in Cozumel, that he had his amazing yatch Octopus anchored there. I'd love to hear your comments! Thanks :p

Artseeker

Hi! Just wanted to know if you went to UVAS. If you did, how was the weather? We're heading there in February. Did you see Bill Gates anywhere? I read in the news he was in Cozumel, that he had his amazing yatch Octopus anchored there. I'd love to hear your comments! Thanks :p

Artseeker

I'll be in Cozumel on the 25th! I can let you know when I come back. If I read the newspaper correct, Bill Gates went to San Gerviso (sp?) and he also visitied PLAYA UVAS!! I believe he kayaked there! I'm sure Eduardo will let us know for sure though! :D

Artseeker

We had to tender, and the seas were rough. That caused the tendering to be put on hold several times. We already had a morning excursion scheduled for a private cooking class, so with the delay in tendering...I didn't get to Playa Uvas this time. I'll be back there on March 3, though!

The weather was great on Saturday...sunny and a high of 84 degrees! And Eduardo met me at the restaurant where I did my cooking class, so I got to say hello to him. He pointed out Bill Gate's yacht and I did get a photo of that.

Since Gates was to spend several days on the Island, I would imagine that he'd go to Playa Uvas on a day when the cruise ships weren't around.

--Eduardo--

Give us the poop on Gates! Did he come to Uvas? Did you tip him out of the kayak? Did he buy any pretty things from the vendors at Uvas?

Lady in TX & Stircrzy

"Gentlemen never comment on their guests!"

eduardo :rolleyes:

Well said, Eduardo! Even though Mr. Gates is a public figure, he deserves privacy on his vacation just as the rest of us do.

But if you want to advertise my visits to Playa Uvas...feel free! :p

Sorry folks, couldn't find one...

hey eduardo, i have a question. Awhile back on this same thread I read somewhere that this lady and her daughter i believe did the snorkeling at uvas and since her daughter wasn't a good swimmer the guides kept a good eye on her. I wanted to know if you get one of your guides to keep an eye on my fiance..hehe..he kinda knows how to swim, but not really. Let me know if you can do this!

Thanks!

They keep a good eye on ALL of the people who engage in watersports at Playa Uvas...no worries!

This is one of the main reasons I booked our snorkeling tour at Playa Uvas. I've been on cattle-call excursions where they wouldn't even know if you made it back or not. I feel safer knowing the guide is watching out for us. Things happen and it's good to have a "second eye" out there for us.

They keep a good eye on ALL of the people who engage in watersports at Playa Uvas...no worries!

Thanks stircrazy, and still floatin' !

That's one of the reasons why I booked with Uvas b/c of what I read. It's good to know that they take good care of everyone doing the watersports! I can't wait to be there!

-->Stircrazy--->

Sorry you weren't able to make it to Uvas! I was looking forward to reading your review.

Hey guys...this thread sounds like a great place! Two quick questions.... how is the shore snorkeling since Wilma? I've been reading some say it is best further out from a boat, but others say the boats come close into shore anyhow. Do you get out near a reef? We have our own snorkeling gear and may want to just snorkel on our own offshore, but ask about an all-inclusive for entrance, food and drink. Can't wait to get there....we will be in Coz on Jan. 26th! Thanks, all!

Hey guys...this thread sounds like a great place! Two quick questions.... how is the shore snorkeling since Wilma? I've been reading some say it is best further out from a boat, but others say the boats come close into shore anyhow. Do you get out near a reef? We have our own snorkeling gear and may want to just snorkel on our own offshore, but ask about an all-inclusive for entrance, food and drink. Can't wait to get there....we will be in Coz on Jan. 26th! Thanks, all!

Seasprite, snorkeling out from the boat is better of course. However, I did shore snorkeling all day at Uvas and saw lots of fish. Clearly it's still recovering from Wilma, but the sea life is plentiful. The off-shore snorkeling trip that Playa Uvas offers is GREAT. You will see TONS of sea life, as the guides know where the lobsters and eels hide. If you snorkel on your own, you'll see plenty too, just not as many of the critters that you don't know where to look for.

Wanted to let you all know that our whole group had a wonderful day at Playa Uvas last Thurs. Jan.11th. Even tho there were 9 ships in port that day, we had no trouble getting a taxi to Playa. They charged us $20 for a van, there were 6 of us. Took just a few minutes to get there and we were one of the first groups. Carmen was expecting us and checked us all in then showed us around and introduced us to the wait staff and snorkel guides. We decided to snorkel around 1030 and joined another group. You walk down the beach quite a distance then enter the water to snorkel. If you have your own tube, take it. Theirs are the plain no purge type. You will want water shoes as the shore is quite rocky. They take your shoes and sunglasses and whatever else you wear on your trek down the beach and put them into a plastic bag and into the kayak that one of the guides follows in. You get them back when you return. One guide was in the water with us and one in the kayak which made it easy for them to keep track of all of us, which is great for novice snorkelers. I kept going further out then the rest following fish and the guide made me return to the group, which I understand perfectly. Most of my group snorkeled on our own a couple more times while we were there. I saw lots of fish and some barracuda. Luckily no jelly fish which i heard people who went to another resort saw. Our bartender was super fantastic and really watched to see if our glass was getting low. The all inclusive is definetly the way to go. One of our group went scuba diving and says it was wonderful They even went through some caves which he had never done before. In case you are wondering, you don't have to be certified to dive in Mexico but you had to know how. We had fajitas for lunch and they were yummy! Of all the drinks we had,the Miami Vice was our favorite. It was definetly worth our money and the best day we had on the cruise. Thanks Eduardo! and the rest of the crew at Playa Uvas!

Wanted to let you all know that our whole group had a wonderful day at Playa Uvas last Thurs. Jan.11th. Even tho there were 9 ships in port that day, we had no trouble getting a taxi to Playa. They charged us $20 for a van, there were 6 of us. Took just a few minutes to get there and we were one of the first groups. Carmen was expecting us and checked us all in then showed us around and introduced us to the wait staff and snorkel guides. We decided to snorkel around 1030 and joined another group. You walk down the beach quite a distance then enter the water to snorkel. If you have your own tube, take it. Theirs are the plain no purge type. You will want water shoes as the shore is quite rocky. They take your shoes and sunglasses and whatever else you wear on your trek down the beach and put them into a plastic bag and into the kayak that one of the guides follows in. You get them back when you return. One guide was in the water with us and one in the kayak which made it easy for them to keep track of all of us, which is great for novice snorkelers. I kept going further out then the rest following fish and the guide made me return to the group, which I understand perfectly. Most of my group snorkeled on our own a couple more times while we were there. I saw lots of fish and some barracuda. Luckily no jelly fish which i heard people who went to another resort saw. Our bartender was super fantastic and really watched to see if our glass was getting low. The all inclusive is definetly the way to go. One of our group went scuba diving and says it was wonderful They even went through some caves which he had never done before. In case you are wondering, you don't have to be certified to dive in Mexico but you had to know how. We had fajitas for lunch and they were yummy! Of all the drinks we had,the Miami Vice was our favorite. It was definetly worth our money and the best day we had on the cruise. Thanks Eduardo! and the rest of the crew at Playa Uvas!

Thanks for your review! Hopefully i get to see tons of fish when i'm there! :)