Playa Uvas

rscima

Playa Uvas Review:

We arrived on the Carnival Conquest. We got a cab and went directly to Playa Uvas. Immediately upon arriving, I was very impressed by the condition of the property. We have been to many of the beach clubs in Cozumel, but this was by far the prettiest yet. The grounds were well kept and the employees were very friendly. We had pre-booked a two tank boat dive for me and a massage for the wife. When we arrived I realized I had left my copy of our confirmation on the boat. No problem, they did not need to see it, they had our reservation in their book.

I got set up for my dive and the wife and another couple that were with us, took advantage of the massage and the facilities. There are many large white padded couch type of loungers. The beach was immaculate and very clean. My wife told me that the massage was very good. There were a lot of see thru ocean kayaks.

My dive boat arrived and I went out for my two tank dive. The boat was from another dive operator (Caribe Dive) and was well run. Our first dive was deep. I went to 96 feet along the wall. Lots of good coral at Palancar Caves. The second dive was at Paradise Reef. At the end of the second dive we observed 3 black tip reef sharks and I was able to get close enough to get some fairly nice photos of them using my dive camera.

Upon return to the Beech Club, I ate some of the best food that I have had while in Cozumel. The food and drinks were very good. Overall I would highly recommend Playa Uvas as a place to enjoy the day in Cozumel. I would not recommend the ships tours to Playa Uvas as you only get to stay at the beech club for about 1-2 hours. My wife said that while I was diving several ships excursions arrived and stayed for an hour or so and then left to get back to the boat. I don’t believe that would be enough time to really enjoy the place. Go there and stay the entire day and you won’t be disappointed.

I was very happy that we had booked the day at Playa Uvas and will go back there next time we visit Cozumel.

kevin

Playa Uvas Review:

We arrived on the Carnival Conquest. We got a cab and went directly to Playa Uvas. Immediately upon arriving, I was very impressed by the condition of the property. We have been to many of the beach clubs in Cozumel, but this was by far the prettiest yet. The grounds were well kept and the employees were very friendly. We had pre-booked a two tank boat dive for me and a massage for the wife. When we arrived I realized I had left my copy of our confirmation on the boat. No problem, they did not need to see it, they had our reservation in their book.

I got set up for my dive and the wife and another couple that were with us, took advantage of the massage and the facilities. There are many large white padded couch type of loungers. The beach was immaculate and very clean. My wife told me that the massage was very good. There were a lot of see thru ocean kayaks.

My dive boat arrived and I went out for my two tank dive. The boat was from another dive operator (Caribe Dive) and was well run. Our first dive was deep. I went to 96 feet along the wall. Lots of good coral at Palancar Caves. The second dive was at Paradise Reef. At the end of the second dive we observed 3 black tip reef sharks and I was able to get close enough to get some fairly nice photos of them using my dive camera.

Upon return to the Beech Club, I ate some of the best food that I have had while in Cozumel. The food and drinks were very good. Overall I would highly recommend Playa Uvas as a place to enjoy the day in Cozumel. I would not recommend the ships tours to Playa Uvas as you only get to stay at the beech club for about 1-2 hours. My wife said that while I was diving several ships excursions arrived and stayed for an hour or so and then left to get back to the boat. I don’t believe that would be enough time to really enjoy the place. Go there and stay the entire day and you won’t be disappointed.

I was very happy that we had booked the day at Playa Uvas and will go back there next time we visit Cozumel.

kevin

Stircrazy

Thanks for helping me find the page for the activities $$ rates. Now we have all the info we need. Thanks again..

Kevin

Thank you for the review; we're planning to visit UVAS in February and would like to get as much backfeed as possible. Sure sounds like you had a great time; would it be possible for you to post the photos you took at Paradise Reef. Would love to see them!

This was supposed to be my review, but due to weather we never made it to Playa Uvas.

The Star Princess missed Grand Cayman on 11/21 due to high winds and seas, and the same conditions persisted as we made our way to Cozumel on 11/22. Unfortunately for us, it was our ship's turn in the rotation to tender rather than dock, and a combination of a busy port and high winds and seas slowed the tender service to a crawl.

The ship gave tender priority to passengers with ship booked excursions, and even they got off to a late start. When it became obvious that we would definitely miss our scheduled dive time, and likely not even make it to Playa Uvas in time for my wife's 1:00PM massage I went to the internet cafe onboard and emailed Eduardo that we would need to cancel.

As it turned out, it was after 1:00PM when we got off of the tender in dowtown San Miguel, so I made the right call.

The next time I had a chance to check my email on the ship I already had a couple of emails from Eduardo, one acknowledging our cancellation, and a follow up detailing how the weather conditions had affected their activities (it had them scrambling, but they were able to provide most of their guests with things to do).

There was also an email from PayPal informing me that our deposit had been refunded in full!

Needless to say, we certainly plan to visit Playa Uvas every time we are able to return to Cozumel.

Thank you Eduardo!!!

This was supposed to be my review, but due to weather we never made it to Playa Uvas.

The Star Princess missed Grand Cayman on 11/21 due to high winds and seas, and the same conditions persisted as we made our way to Cozumel on 11/22. Unfortunately for us, it was our ship's turn in the rotation to tender rather than dock, and a combination of a busy port and high winds and seas slowed the tender service to a crawl.

The ship gave tender priority to passengers with ship booked excursions, and even they got off to a late start. When it became obvious that we would definitely miss our scheduled dive time, and likely not even make it to Playa Uvas in time for my wife's 1:00PM massage I went to the internet cafe onboard and emailed Eduardo that we would need to cancel.

As it turned out, it was after 1:00PM when we got off of the tender in dowtown San Miguel, so I made the right call.

The next time I had a chance to check my email on the ship I already had a couple of emails from Eduardo, one acknowledging our cancellation, and a follow up detailing how the weather conditions had affected their activities (it had them scrambling, but they were able to provide most of their guests with things to do).

There was also an email from PayPal informing me that our deposit had been refunded in full!

Needless to say, we certainly plan to visit Playa Uvas every time we are able to return to Cozumel.

Thank you Eduardo!!!

I'm sad and happy to read your post. Sorry you weren't able to stop at the grand cayman..at least you were able to tender in cozumel. It is very assuring to read that eduardo refunded your money and e-mailed you back vert promptly. It assures me once again that we picked a great place to enjoy when i go there for my cruise :rolleyes: ! Hopefully we dock and arrive there in time with no problems!!

What did you end up doing?? Did you go ahead and go to uvas??

Hello Jack

I would call it coarse, dry white sand. Not white powder...but not dirty Gulf of Mexico sand either. You couldn't make sand castles with the sand at Playa Uvas, but it is a quality sand made up of specks of coral and the disentigrating reefs that are right offshore of Playa Uvas.

The water is clear, and on calm days you feel like you're flying in the clear kayaks because you can see the ocean's bottom as you glide along. Since Playa Uvas is on the "tame" side of the Island and faces the mainland of the Yucatan, (as opposed to the "wild" side that faces away from the mainland) the turbulence is minimal, unless it's stormy.

The snorkeling is better and better every day. The coral is recovering from the damage of Hurrican Wilma, and the fish generally feed from very early in the morning to noon. During those hours you will see a lot, but at siesta time when the sun is very hot, 50% of them are out of sight, having their mid-afternoon rest.

un saludo!!

Eduardo

Thanks for all the great info and pics. We're reserved for our March cruise and can't wait. And thanks to Eduardo for his prompt and very helpful email responses to my questions. We're really looking forward to a perfect beach/snorkle/eat/drink day in Cozumel!:D

-Monica

Some pics from Uvas and area from Nov 17, 2006.

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/ncl_sun_2006/Cozumel/playa_uva.htm

nolaAlive thanks for the wonderful pictures!! Can you tell me how many ships were in port the day you were there?

We will be there in a week and a half and are looking forward to a wonderful day at the beach and your pictures have gotten me even more excited.

Jodie

nolaAlive thanks for the wonderful pictures!! Can you tell me how many ships were in port the day you were there?

We will be there in a week and a half and are looking forward to a wonderful day at the beach and your pictures have gotten me even more excited.

Jodie

There were 3 ships in port - Rhapsody of the Seas, Carnival Conquest, and NCL Sun and all docked.

It sure was nice not having wall to wall people like some of the beaches.

Hi Nola...thanks for your quick response!

There will be 7 ships in port the day we will be there but I am sure that Playa Uvas will still be a lot less crowded than PB and Others.

Still thinking about your beautiful pictures today and anxiously awaiting our day there. Thanks again:D !

Jodie

Was at Playa Uvas on Thursday (Nov 30). We arrived around 9:00. Carmen introduced us to the staff who would be waiting on us and giving us our snorkling tour. We spent some time lying on the beach and then did the 45 minute snorkeling tour. It was fantastic!!!!! I saw four barracudas, beautiful colorful fish, and beautiful colored sea fans. Be sure to take an underwater camera. I will post pictures when I get them tomorrow. (Note: if you can bring your on snorkeling equipment. You can use theirs for the tour, but if you want to snorkel more you will need your own)

We had great shrimp nachos and shrimp quesadillas for lunch and drinks all day long. We had a great time and the place is sooooo clean with nice landscaping. They have lockers you can rent for $2.00 and a $5.00 refundable deposit. They also had a small fresh water pool, but it was cold.

Taxi to and from the pier was $10.00 each way (that is for the taxi (up to 4 people) not each person).

We had such a great time we will go there again on our next visit to Cozumel.

Thanks Carmen and staff for making it such a great day!! :)

Hi fellow cruisers:

Based on your high praise for Playa Uvas and Eduardo, my wife and I will be planning to spend the day at this beautiful beach. Thanks for the wonderful comments and pictures.

¡Vayamos al uvas del playa!

Véale en 2 semanas.

Sinceramente,

Roberto Stack de Dallas / Ft. Worth