Playa Uvas

rscima

Eduardo and Nola thanks for the menu info!! I am excited to hear that I can enjoy some yummy ceviche:D .

For the previous poster...ceviche is a seafood dish that is not cooked but marinated for a long time in lime juice or lemon juice (prefer the lime) and it usually has lot of cilantro in it and onions sometimes. It is GOOD!! Especially when you get the mixed seafood kind that has conch, shrimp, calimari and different varieties of fish...YUMMY!!:D

Can't wait to kayak, snorkel, drink, lay on the beach and eat ceviche at Uvas!!:D

Wow...well I'm convinced!! I'm heading to the website right now to make a reservation. I hope there is room!!

I see there are reservation "times". Are those cast in stone? If we end up meandering in town first, can we still get to Uvas later in the day?

Looking forward to meeting you Eduardo!

Just wanted to say, I emailed mid-day and Eduardo responded that evening. Had to be midnight his time!! Anyway, will be there on the 29th of Dec and looking forward to it!

Eduardo - a quick question - I thought the clear kayaking looked fun but I want to SEE them before I sign up. I've already booked with you for the day for snorkeling and beaching...is it possible to add the kayaking on once I'm there if I think I'd like it?

Thanks! :D

I'd like to know the answer to that also. I'm booked March 13 for beach day/snorkle' date=' but may want to add kayak depending on how we feel. Guess it depends on if all the kayaks are already fully booked?[/quote']

Stillfloatin: I'm guessing you are likely right. I'm sure if they have one open, they'd let me give them money and get on it. My trip is before yours, so when I get back I'll post about it and let you know my experience. :D

Was at Playa Uvas on Thursday (Nov 30). We arrived around 9:00. Carmen introduced us to the staff who would be waiting on us and giving us our snorkling tour. We spent some time lying on the beach and then did the 45 minute snorkeling tour. It was fantastic!!!!! I saw four barracudas, beautiful colorful fish, and beautiful colored sea fans. Be sure to take an underwater camera. I will post pictures when I get them tomorrow. (Note: if you can bring your on snorkeling equipment. You can use theirs for the tour, but if you want to snorkel more you will need your own)

We had great shrimp nachos and shrimp quesadillas for lunch and drinks all day long. We had a great time and the place is sooooo clean with nice landscaping. They have lockers you can rent for $2.00 and a $5.00 refundable deposit. They also had a small fresh water pool, but it was cold.

Taxi to and from the pier was $10.00 each way (that is for the taxi (up to 4 people) not each person).

We had such a great time we will go there again on our next visit to Cozumel.

Thanks Carmen and staff for making it such a great day!! :)

Thanks for posting your review! : )

About your pictures, have you been to photobucket.com?

There are more out there but i dunno.. I'm sure someone on here can help you about the pics!

I would love to see the pics!!

Thanks for the info, the massage sounds nice, I was glad to hear that they do change the sheets LOL since I read about a beach massage place at Costa Maya that did NOT !!!

Is there shopping nearby or at Uvas?? I am not hugely into shopping and not so sure I want to taxi to the downtown ?

If I did taxi to downtown from Uvas how long would that take, how much $$, and how did YOU do that "logistically">>>ie, did you shop before going to Uvas, then rent a locker...or shop after Uvas and go back to the ship?

Or..is their shopping at the Piers?? I am booked on Carnival Glory for the May 5 sailing, there will be 2 ships in port, and I hope we will have a pier, tho not sure which one or if there is decent shopping at the piers?? I am not looking for expensive jewelry, just some crafty/touristy type purchases <grin> thanks in advance

Thanks for the info, the massage sounds nice, I was glad to hear that they do change the sheets LOL since I read about a beach massage place at Costa Maya that did NOT !!!

Is there shopping nearby or at Uvas?? I am not hugely into shopping and not so sure I want to taxi to the downtown ?

If I did taxi to downtown from Uvas how long would that take, how much $$, and how did YOU do that "logistically">>>ie, did you shop before going to Uvas, then rent a locker...or shop after Uvas and go back to the ship?

Or..is their shopping at the Piers?? I am booked on Carnival Glory for the May 5 sailing, there will be 2 ships in port, and I hope we will have a pier, tho not sure which one or if there is decent shopping at the piers?? I am not looking for expensive jewelry, just some crafty/touristy type purchases <grin> thanks in advance

You can find most of your gifting items right at the Playa Uvas store...especially since you're not into shopping!

There are plenty of shops at the pier area, but I found all the items I needed at the Uvas store, and bought several items from the vendors at Playa Uvas. I bought some trinkets at the store and some glass fusion art from one vendor. I found a gorgeous crucifix that I bought from another vendor.

The vendors are carefully selected, and do not harass you. They have their wares set up and invite you to take a look. No pressure!

You can find lots of small items at the Playa Uvas store, in addition to sunscreen, hats, and sunburn remedy.

I'll be at Uvas in about 27 days!!!

How is the actual beach here? Is it a nice sandy neach...or more ironshore?

Thanks

Kristen1206:

I would call it coarse, dry white sand. Not white powder...but not dirty Gulf of Mexico sand either. You couldn't make sand castles with the sand at Playa Uvas, but it is a quality sand made up of specks of coral and the disentigrating reefs that are right offshore of Playa Uvas.

The water is clear, and on calm days you feel like you're flying in the clear kayaks because you can see the ocean's bottom as you glide along. Since Playa Uvas is on the "tame" side of the Island and faces the mainland of the Yucatan, (as opposed to the "wild" side that faces away from the mainland) the turbulence is minimal, unless it's stormy.

saludos!!

eduardo

Eduardo:

My wife and I will enjoy our day with you and your staff in 10 days. What type of Sunscreen must we use because we are in the Marine Park?

Can the sunscreen just say natural, or, no oil? Aveena brand says no oil.

Are there any brands that we can buy up here in Texas?

¡Gracias!

¡Véale en diez días!

Roberto Stack de Dallas / Ft. Worth

I just got back from a cruise on Freedom of the seas. Yes there were problems with the virus but we really enjoyed the cruise and the staff did their best. About UVA Beach, I was to meet with the manager near the port at 9.00am to discuss and give deposit on a large group for january, but he never showed up. He had sent me an email telling me where to meet him at 9am. So after waiting for half an hour we took a cab to UVA Beach and asked for him when we got there. THey said it was his birthday the day before and he would be there in half an hour. So my group of about 10 poeple paid the entrance fee and walked down to the beach area. Guess what, there is no beach. It is but a rocky dangerous shoreline that streches for about a quarter mile to the right and a little less to the left. It is almost impossible to enter the water without risking to fall or cut yourselves on the rocks. Once in the water, same thing, large uneven rocks all along. There is absolutly no sandy entrance to the water.

The beach club itself is clean, very nice set up and the poeple that work there are nice. There were poeple eating there and the food looked good. Some poeple did the transparent kayak trip and seemed to enjoy it but the ones that came back from snorkeling said they didn't see much. It was windy and the water conditions were not at their best so it probably is better normally.

The lady at the entrance came to see me to say that the manager would be here in another half hour. We left at about 11.15 without seeing him and decided to cancell the large group for January.

Pictures you see of the beach have not been taken recently, they must have been taken before WILMA, but beware you cannot enter the water without risking to hurt yourself, definitly not reccommended for children or seniors.

If you want to go there to lie in the sun on confortable chairs and have a massage, lunch and dinner OK but not to play in the water.

I'm lucky to have gone before my large group and not to have given a deposit otherwise I could be in problems or would risk to be thrown overboard by my own poeple.

You are now aware of what to expect from UVA Beach!!!

I was there no later than last tuesday!

Voyages

I have seen several comments in Playa Uvas posts regarding the "Marine Park". What park is this? Is this Chakanaab (SP)? Are they somehow connected?

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but on their website (Playa Uvas) it states: ....But above all, let us transmit the pride of serving you in our beach, located in a privileged area of Cozumel, by the marine park of Chankanaab. So I would say, that they are not associated.:rolleyes:

If you want to go to Chankanaab you will have to pay an entrance fee to enter. I believe it is $16.00.

I had a question maybe Stircrazy or Eduardo can answer this for me. I wanted to know if the vendors at Playa Uvas & Playa Uvas itself, take cash, and credit cards? Or just cash?

lady in tx

yes you are right, im gonna explain a little more about of this issue

Cozumel’s reefs formations are part of the second biggest reef system in the world, that starts on the northeast of the Yucatan peninsula and ends in the Gulf of Honduras. most of Cozumel’s reef formations are part of a protected Marine National Park , that starts after Puerta Maya Carnival´s pier and ends in the southeast point of the island.

When we say Playa Uvas is "inside the Marine National Park of Chankanaab Reef". That refers to the ocean part of Chankanaab Reef, and not to Chankanaab Park...which is a separate entity about 300 yards down the beach. You'd need to leave Playa Uvas, and pay a separate entry fee to enter Chankanaab Park.

about the credit cards

in Playa Uvas we accept Visa or MC , vendors and the store accept cash only

saludos

eduardo

Eduardo:

My wife and I will enjoy our day with you and your staff in 10 days. What type of Sunscreen must we use because we are in the Marine Park?

Can the sunscreen just say natural, or, no oil? Aveena brand says no oil.

Are there any brands that we can buy up here in Texas?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

this note was post by SkyeOfTheStorms and i think will answer your question very good

a note about sunblocks

Hola everyone. Just to clarify, the primary threat to marine life is the PABA ingredient in sunscreens. If you have a bottle that clearly reads "no PABAs" then you should be fine - this is what they are looking for on the labels. Coppertone makes one called "Oil Free Waterproof" that is PABA-free (and says "no PABAs") and does well when you're in the water alot. It's $9 at Walgreens and Wal-Mart.

Saludos

eduardo

Eduardo:

Can you respond to the no sandy beach and safety issue that Voyages raised? He seems to be pretty fixed in his opinion. How do you feel about his comments? We are looking for a sandy beach.

Thanks,

Bob from Dallas / Ft. Worth

Pictures you see of the beach have not been taken recently, they must have been taken before WILMA...

Voyages

My photos (http://www.stircraze.net/PlayaUvas) were taken Memorial Day weekend...last weekend of May, 2006. Many more recent photos have been posted from other cruisers since that time, so the photos are ones taken AFTER Wilma.

I can't dispute your non-meeting with the manager, but I'm sure that there must have been miscommunication of some sort. Eudardo has been quick to respond in the past, and is not the type to just "not show up" for a meeting.

Too bad you didn't try to resolve the situation with the manager privately, instead of posting a review based on your anger over a botched appointment to meet.

Sometimes when the day starts off badly it colors our enjoyment of the remainder of the day. No one else has posted a review with such negativity, and lots of us have visited Playa Uvas since Wilma dessimated Cozumel. Playa Uvas has done an excellent job of recovery, including protecting the fragile new coral and feeding the fish to attract them back after the storm. With shore snorkeling, fish sightings can also depend on the time of day.

I stand by my photos as a "true" picture of Playa Uvas taken SINCE Wilma...and will be returning there on January 6, 2007. I've already reserved space for a family group (ages 80 down to age 20) on March 3, 2007.

Thanks for the info on shopping Stircrazy, that glass jewelry sounds really nice

My BF does want to get a hammock, but maybe in Costa Maya or maybe in Cozumel

~~~~~ Voyager....sorry you were disappointed, I am glad Eduardo replied to you

I can understand your frustration, tho for me this place seems fine as I am not into snorkeling....I do think most of Cozumel was hard hit by Wilma..60 hours...whew...I know that South Florida was really hurt and we did not get it as bad as them. The reefs and beaches are most likely still messed up

I refuse to cheerlead for any place but I am glad Eduardo replied.

for better snorkeling maybe a catamaran or snorkel cruise??? Fury is a well known one in Cozumel

apparently Uvas has some shoreline snorkeling but probably varies on any given day

the beach "beds" and loungers do look nice and I personally like the NON motorized sports/no jet skis etc...and the fact it seems more adult oriented, not tons of running and yelling kids...

One thing I do like is that UVAS seems to limit the amount of guests

IMHO none of these places will be "perfect" for everyone, we all have different needs and tastes, and none of these are "one size fits all"

So I am still interested, but I do not dismiss your complaints Voyager, information and opinions should be shared..at the very least one might have to bring water shoes huh?

thanks

Thanks for the info on shopping Stircrazy, that glass jewelry sounds really nice

My BF does want to get a hammock, but maybe in Costa Maya or maybe in Cozumel

I refuse to cheerlead for any place but I am glad Eduardo replied.

I've had lots of compliments on that jewelry! It was a good buy. As for the hammocks...you should be able to find one easily at the pier shops when you are returning to the ship. No need to drag it around all day!

I may seem like a cheerleader for Playa Uvas, but I have visited Cozumel many many times in the last 20 years...and love the uniqueness of Playa Uvas. I have no dog in the hunt here, except that I hate to see a company vilified without first attempting to resolve the matter privately.

Valid complaints should be brought to the attention of the forum, but ALL of the beach clubs, restaurants, shops, etc. depend on the recommendations of those of us who visit them. One bad review can ruin the season for any one of these venues, so objective care should be taken before posting. I personally feel that the above poster got to Uvas angry over the miscommunication of the meeting and that colored his/her view of Uvas.

Happy sails...and whichever beach club you visit, have a great time!

I'll be posting more photos after my January visit to Playa Uvas.