Beware cabin 8108 on the Constellation

MaryJean56

We booked a concierge class cabin 8108 on the Constellation and expected to get a slightly larger room and a slightly larger veranda and instead got what I believe is the smallest veranda in the entire Celebrity fleet. My complaint here is that none of the deck plans show this in any way and Celebrity should not have sold this cabin as a concierge class stateroom with this tiny veranda. My husband and I love to spend time out on the veranda and we were really disappointed with this one. We had a wonderful time on the cruise, especially with our cruise critic friends who made many jokes about our tiny veranda, but I am posting this in the hopes that others will avoid it and MAYBE Celebrity will stop selling this cabin as a concierge class cabin. The picture shows the outside of the veranda, so you can see how it tapers in to meet the Celebrity Suite on the side. It roughly measured 54" wide at one end and 26" wide at the other. I actually had trouble getting to the chair at the narrow end.

Bottom line, please beware of this and other similarly situated cabins.

Unfortunately, we booked this cabin without knowing the veranda size problem for out TA cruise this September. By the time we found out about it, the ship was sold out and we could not get another CC cabin, although I keep trying.

The only good news is that when I complained to X's Customer Service about the deception, the gave us $200.00 of on board credit.

We will have a great time in spite of the veranda. If the weather is cold in western europe and crossing the atlantic, then we probably won't use the veranda that much.

While I was on the Constellation, I spoke with the Concierge because the staff on the ship continually told us to let them know if we had a problem because they couldn't help if they didn't hear about it. He first offered to move us, but I have motion sickness issues and the only cc cabin available was completely aft and I knew that cabin would not be good for me. He told me he would contact the home office and I should hear from Celebrity, but I have been off the ship for more than a month and I haven't heard from them yet. Although he assured me that he was taking care of the issue for me, I do wonder???

Since the ship is sold out I thought we could not change and have tried several times without any luck.

Happily tonight I was able to get a cabin that may have been released by an agency. In fact we we able to get one of the coveted Aft Balconies CC #7208.

I agree, this veranda is tiny, and I think its great that you are letting us know about it.

But you forgot to point out the one advantage. If your neighbors forget to closes the blind that faces the balcony, you can have a free show all day and night into thier cabin!!!

Barry & Nessa, I am so glad to hear you got another cabin. Those aft cabins have marvelous verandahs so you went from the tinest to the largest. That's great news.

Susan, funny you would call it a one-person verandah. Some of our fellow cruise critics and friends asked us if we had to order our breakfast in shifts so we could both get a chance to eat out there.:D The poor little verandah was definitely the butt of many jokes on the cruise. I did have to squeeze by the table to get to the chair. Believe me, we tried to move the table out of the way, but there was just no room for it.

Suzanne, our next door neighbors happened to be fellow cruise critics and friends of ours and luckily they were polite enough to keep the blind closed or we would have felt like they were having breakfast with us too.:D

We booked a concierge class cabin 8108 on the Constellation and expected to get a slightly larger room and a slightly larger veranda and instead got what I believe is the smallest veranda in the entire Celebrity fleet. My complaint here is that none of the deck plans show this in any way and Celebrity should not have sold this cabin as a concierge class stateroom with this tiny veranda. My husband and I love to spend time out on the veranda and we were really disappointed with this one. We had a wonderful time on the cruise, especially with our cruise critic friends who made many jokes about our tiny veranda, but I am posting this in the hopes that others will avoid it and MAYBE Celebrity will stop selling this cabin as a concierge class cabin. The picture shows the outside of the veranda, so you can see how it tapers in to meet the Celebrity Suite on the side. It roughly measured 54" wide at one end and 26" wide at the other. I actually had trouble getting to the chair at the narrow end.

Bottom line, please beware of this and other similarly situated cabins.

Thanks for sharing this info!

I have added a link to this thread with its pictures to the index of cabin photos to help further your cause to make people aware: Celebrity Cabin Photo Index

Since the ship is sold out I thought we could not change and have tried several times without any luck.

Happily tonight I was able to get a cabin that may have been released by an agency. In fact we we able to get one of the coveted Aft Balconies CC #7208.

I'm glad you struck it rich.

Concierge class is a CLASS OF SERVICE, nothing more. Until recently CC did not have any verandas on the Century...and still do not on the Zenith.

So to say the veranda is small so it shouldn't be a CC cabin is kind of irrelevant.

As for the size...The deck plans are a bit deceiving, however you were promissed a veranda...and you did get one. Not all verandas are equal. I've had the standard size, but prefer the larger ones on certain itineraries if I can get them, but my first choice is the itinerary, not the size of the room or the veranda.

I don't think X was deceiving you, however I think your anticipated perception of what you were getting was a dissapointment to you, but they did deliver a CC room with a veranda.....regardless.

just IMHO

Dave:eek:

Mary Jean:

I understand exactly how you feel and agree with you 100%. CC may be a class of service, but for the price you paid for CC you certainly deserved a balcony big enough for two people to sit on.

IMHO

Karon

Wow, thanks for posting the pix, If you paid the same for our cabin as the folks next door, who had a " real size" balcony, than you are due a refund ! And i don't see a clause that says these cabins have little bitty veranda in the measurements section... yes it was a cc cabin, and yes it had a balcony, but Dave would you have been happy with it for 12 nite cruise....

J.

Concierge class is a CLASS OF SERVICE, nothing more. Until recently CC did not have any verandas on the Century...and still do not on the Zenith.

So to say the veranda is small so it shouldn't be a CC cabin is kind of irrelevant.

As for the size...The deck plans are a bit deceiving, however you were promissed a veranda...and you did get one. Not all verandas are equal. I've had the standard size, but prefer the larger ones on certain itineraries if I can get them, but my first choice is the itinerary, not the size of the room or the veranda.

I don't think X was deceiving you, however I think your anticipated perception of what you were getting was a dissapointment to you, but they did deliver a CC room with a veranda.....regardless.

just IMHO

Lets get real, you have to climb over the table to sit in that chair! I wouldn't be happy either. I would say its deceptive, I know they didn't post a picture like that showing the actual balcony on their website. Write a letter and make sure you include that picture.

My issue was regarding CC class, not the size of the balcony.

However, a little math shows that the veranda in this cabin is less square footage than the ADVERTISED sizes of 41 sg ft. Its actually a little bigger than half that size.

As for a refund....not sure about that, but if it were up to me I definetly would issue a cabin credit of some sort.

But on the same token, any verandah other than the standard size of 41sf SHOULD have a cost increase based on the larger sizes. Such as the CC class on the penthouse deck, or in the aft. Some of those decks are 5 times bigger than standard...so maybe an addition 400-500 per person would be applicable.

Whats good for the goose is good for the gander.

Dave, Do you work for the cruise line? I love my aft balcony and I booked more than a year in advance for it. I don't want to have to pay $500 more for it though. I saw Mary Jean's balcony as we were on the same cruise. While all the CC prices are the same this was really a bad balcony. Her travel agent should have warned her about this. Pat

Exactly!!! no reason to have to pay as much as everyone else for a crummy balcony, where you have to climb over a table... That room should be sold as a cc but at a lesser price. If not, then the cruiser should be fully informed..

J.

Well, I can't blame my TA for not letting me know about this balcony because I booked it while on a Galaxy cruise. It was actually a Celebrity cruise advisor who booked this for me and really should have know. Incidently, the thing that really hurts is that I booked it about 18 months ahead of time and could have had almost any cabin at the time.

Archived