Buying wine in Rome

We will be in Rome this fall for a few days before we board the Golden Princess for a 17 day TA cruise. Obviously we are going to get thirsty especially during the 6 day crossing of the Atlantic. I am planning on picking up 4-6 bottles of wine while we are in Rome to bring on with us. We are staying in central Rome, near the Colliseium. Has anyone purchased wine in Rome and if so where? We generally like sweeter and lighter wines (yes we like brush wines). What are some of the options we can look for in Rome.

In a similar vein we will be stopping in Livorno, Cannes, Barcelona, Cartegena and Gibralter as well as Madeira (Funchal), Portugal. I figure I will pick up a bottle or two in some or at all of these ports. Anyone have any experience getting wine in any of these ports and if so what kinds of wine?

Thanks in advance for your assistance in answering this question and keeping me mildly intoxicated during our cruise.

Have a great next cruise.

You will find wine sold all over Rome (hard to walk a block without seeing wine shops). Keep in mind that "blushes" are an American invention and not a popular wine in Europe. The best of the European "Roses" come from France, and tend to be somewhat drier (less sweet) than the California blushes. However, there are plenty of sweeter wines..particularly within various classes of German white wines. Most regular Italian wines are not sweet, and they tend to drink the very sweet wines as dessert wines (often sold as a half bottle). Try asking for recommendations in any wine store (most shop keepers understand some English) and I am sure they will find the wine for your taste. In our experience (we just returned from Italy this past Thursday), most Italians will bend over backwards to give you help. We have always loved visiting Italy, and this most recent trip was no exception.

Hank

We will be in Rome this fall for a few days before we board the Golden Princess for a 17 day TA cruise. Obviously we are going to get thirsty especially during the 6 day crossing of the Atlantic. I am planning on picking up 4-6 bottles of wine while we are in Rome to bring on with us. We are staying in central Rome, near the Colliseium. Has anyone purchased wine in Rome and if so where? We generally like sweeter and lighter wines (yes we like brush wines). What are some of the options we can look for in Rome.

In a similar vein we will be stopping in Livorno, Cannes, Barcelona, Cartegena and Gibralter as well as Madeira (Funchal), Portugal. I figure I will pick up a bottle or two in some or at all of these ports. Anyone have any experience getting wine in any of these ports and if so what kinds of wine?

Thanks in advance for your assistance in answering this question and keeping me mildly intoxicated during our cruise.

Hank gave you a very good reply ,and now I will add my two cents.My DH collects wine and we have made sveral trips to Europe(the last 2 being italy) to check out wines.He collects only red,and I drink only white or rose so we have checked out many wines by drinking them:p .Anyway,Italy,France,and Spain make some great wines to buy and drink right away so will not have a problem and there are plenty of wine shops all over.When you go into a shop the wines are generally by either region or type,and all the wine merchants have always been more than helpful...so just tell them what you are looking for and they will help.Some may even have wines to try.The rose/blush wines may be a tad drier than here,but you will also find some really nice white wines.Make sure to buy some Port in Potugal..really good.Also,in Portugal you will fine some sweeter rose wine's as well.Pick up a few bottles of french wine in Cannes as well.Isn't it fun to drink one's way through Europe:D :D .ENJOY uour cruise.

Thanks to both of you for your input. We both enjoy some of the white German wines and have choosen them from various cruise line wine lists because we enjoy their flavor. Are there similar white wines that are produced in Italy or are the German wines generally available in Italy and especially in Rome?

We are staying in a B&B in Rome for 5 days before our cruise and hopefully our host can suggest a place or places to check out for wine.

Thanks again for your replies.

We too are thinking of getting a few bottles on board for our TA in the fall. Can you give us a rough idea about the cost of a bottle of reasonable vintage....we do not need the " top of the line", but do like a pleasant wine. Do they do 750 mls or 1 litre bottles? thanks for the info.

The typical bottle is 750ml. As to cost, it ranges from about 2 euros per bottle (some of these cheap wines are quite drinkable) up to the stratosphere for the great Barolos. You will find lots of good wines in the $10 - $15 per bottle ranges (we found this particularly true in Tuscany) but will have to spend more to sample some of the really nice vintages. Many years ago we used to find lots of bad to mediocre wines in Italy, but in the past few years Italian wine making has made great strides in the lower and medium priced wines (particularly reds). Their best wines can rival anything on earth, but the prices are also comparable to the high prices found in other countries (we saw Barolos going for well over $100.

Hank

Why would you want to drink German or French wine in Italy?

In any event to compare "German white wine" to anything is a bit of a tall order. Are you talking about a Riesling Kabinett or a Trockenbeerenauslese? What about other grapes?

Ask someone knowledgeable in the country what they recommend. I have a feeling that if you asked an italian for a recommendation for an Italian wine that was like German wine you'd be asking for trouble!

Thanks to both of you for your input. We both enjoy some of the white German wines and have choosen them from various cruise line wine lists because we enjoy their flavor. Are there similar white wines that are produced in Italy or are the German wines generally available in Italy and especially in Rome?

We are staying in a B&B in Rome for 5 days before our cruise and hopefully our host can suggest a place or places to check out for wine.

Thanks again for your replies.

Well, you have some good replies here.I just want to add to my other reply that you may want to check out some wines from the Banfi Winery.they are one of the larger prodeucers of winer in Italy and althiugh known for mainly reds thay may have some kinds of wines you are seeking so it would be a start for you.there are quite a number of good white wines and I have tried a lot of them...I do not like a super dry wine,and have found some really good local wines you amy like as well although i do not know the names...I just ask when I order.When you are in Cannes I suggest trying a sancere that I think you may like.Good luck and enjoy no matter what you drink.If any one drinks red try a glass of Brunello:D

Thanks again for the additional ideas. I hope to get at least one bottle of Brunello. I have seen it tasted on the travel programs and read about it but when I checked for it here in Florida a bottle starts at $120 and go up from there. I am hoping it isn't as expensive in Italy.

Thanks again and keep the tips coming.

Thanks again for the additional ideas. I hope to get at least one bottle of Brunello. I have seen it tasted on the travel programs and read about it but when I checked for it here in Florida a bottle starts at $120 and go up from there. I am hoping it isn't as expensive in Italy.

Thanks again and keep the tips coming.

You will probably find a decent Brunello much cheaper in Italy(we had a bottle at a resto in P.Navona with dinner that only cost 60€ and you know mark up!!) so any wine shop will have one for a lot less. Here in the States you should be able to find a good one for a lot less than $120.There are really good and bad years for wine and Brunello is to be put away acutally so you will have to buy one that is older and maybe in the FL area that is the cost for a drinkable Brunello.Wait and try one in Rome!!!! Banfi does make a decent Brunello,but not the top of the line.I bet whatever you find and drink there you will enjoy it.

Once again thanks for the good info. I will try to do some research on the Internet and see if I can have some good years picked out before we go.

Here is another question. One of our other stops is in Cannes. I was watching another travel program recently and they mentioned that they produce some good Rose's in Provence so there should be some available in Cannes. Does anyone have any recommendations for there?

Thanks and talk at you all later.

Once again thanks for the good info. I will try to do some research on the Internet and see if I can have some good years picked out before we go.

Here is another question. One of our other stops is in Cannes. I was watching another travel program recently and they mentioned that they produce some good Rose's in Provence so there should be some available in Cannes. Does anyone have any recommendations for there?

Any wine shop should be able to help you here.My only suggestion in another thread was to ask for a Sancerre which is a nice not to dry white that you may enjoy.It's French:) .Any of the French table wines are very drinkable and quite enjoyable.

When you are in Funchal, you might check out the Blandy's distillery. They make several varieties of Madeira wine (and give generous samples too!) and sell cute little glasses to drink it out of - not required, but fun. If you like a sweet (and rather strong) wine to sip, you will probably like one of the varieties of Madeira. The taste is somewhere between port and sherry, and I like it very much!

Lisa

In a similar vein we will be stopping in Livorno, Cannes, Barcelona, Cartegena and Gibralter as well as Madeira (Funchal), Portugal.

Though I haven't been to Madeira, we have been to Lisbon and Oporto.

While in Portugal, you'll want to buy some port wine.

We bought a few bottles of red and also learned that there is white port. Didn't know that before our visit. The white port is lighter, crisper and less sweet than the red. I like both at different times. The white is a lovely pre-dinner aperitif.

In Lisbon, we found a retailer named "Jumbo" which is similar to the US's wholesale club stores like BJ's or Target. In that store we found a full aisle of portugeuse wines and ports. We bought alot of port - all top shelf brands - and saved alot of money. When our ship took us to Oporto the next day and we toured the port winery's, we were really happy as the prices at Jumbo were better than the prices at the winery's. So, if there's a Jumbo or similiar store in Madiera, you might want to stock up there.

In Barcelona, we bought some wonderful red wines at very inexpensive prices at the Il Cortes department store. In the basement they have a very nice food court and wine cellar.

Have a great cruise!

I would like some information and would appreciate your feedback. How many bottles are you allowed to bring back into the country? How much is the duty if over? Is it easier to ship cases to the US?

I am sure someone will have the answer to your question of bringing wine back into the US..I want to say it's about 2 bottles.We don't bring it back unless it is a bottle or two that we can't get here in the US and must be special although that does not mean expensive.My DH has found that the wine he finds in France,and Italy can be bought here just as cheaply or cheaper for that matter.It is expensive to have a case shipped back and since we are a felony state we would never see it as it's not legal to have wine shipped to MD.Sometimes if you bring back an extra bottle or three they will not collect duty,but the again they can nail you..all depends on the mood of the day I think.

Provence is not a famous French wine region like Bordeaux, Burgundy, or Champagne. One noteworthy exception is their Rose. It is generally inexpensive and very good. It is not as sweet as some roses and may be slightly fuller and darker than a US white zin. I found this description of a Provencal rose which is pretty representative:

"The Rosé is a blend of mostly Grenache spiced with Syrah, Mourvedre, Cinsault and Cabernet Sauvignon. With an inviting cherry-pink color and a nose of strawberry and raspberry, this Provencal rose is refreshingly clean and dry. This rose is easily enjoyed as a summer sipper but is flexible and bold enough to marry with a wide range of fare, from salads to seafood to backyard barbecue!"

You can pay anywhere from $5 to $15 a bottle and have a very nice wine. One note of caution about buying wines in France. Some stores for some reason still price wine in francs. I was in a convenience store in Lyon and was shocked at the wine prices. When I checked out I found the wine was priced in francs not euros. One euro is about 6.5 francs.

We brought six bottles of wine back last June through JFK and were not charged duty. Don't know what the limit is. The owner of the wine shop we spoke with said he doesn't ship wine to the U.S. because of the high shipping cost and likelihood of breakage.

We were lucky to find the brunello he introduced us to in Florence here in the U.S. The bottle price was about the same, surprisingly.

Archived