QE2 Princess or Britannia and whats it all mean

thieftaker

Hello folks,

Hope you are all ok.

My beloved better and more sensible half and I are whizzing round the on the QE2 this summer, we are booked into a P grade cabin.

The booking staff at Cunard said we had a choice and could eat in either the Princess or Britannia restaurants. Does anyone know what the difference is between them, is the food better in either of them, or do the oars get in the way as we row our way around with the other slaves?

I have been on the QM2 several times and enjoyed the service and facilities.

I have been told the QE2 is a 'classy old ship' with a country club feel which can be a bit stuffy at times, is this the case or is it a relaxed, homely vessel? any thoughts

Thanks

:eek:

D

The beauty of the QE2 is that she has so many endearing qualities that her age is unimportant (except to add the grace and wisdom that come with maturity). I, myself, enjoy the gentle background music provided by harp and piano in the Queen's Room at tea. I love the informative lectures in the Theatre. The dances and balls are festive and fun. The nightly entertainment is lively and always in good taste. It is great to have a personal trainer for gym workouts and to have an indoor and outdoor pool.

To me, the QE2 is stately and elegant; never stuffy. It is easy to treat her with respect. She is unique.

The Princess Grill is outstanding. It is a smoke-free dining room in which every courtesy is extended to the passengers. The food is superb, as is the service. The Brittania has a smoking section, but is also an excellent dining room. Most passengers who try the Princess Grill do not want to change.

There is very little difference between the two. Even the decor is almost the same, just the color schemes are different.

If you have the choice, and do not smoke, I would choose the Princess Grill. One thing about it is really nice is that it has a spiral staircase down to the Princess Grill Bar on One Deck below.

The Princess Grill is the "original" Grill and is mostly intact from 1969. The Britannia Grill was added in the early '90s (originally called the Princess Grill Starboard) and was basically a copy of the Princess Grill, with, as I said, different color schemes. Also, the spiral staircase down to the Princess Grill Bar isn't there, the chairs are different, and also the ceiling finish is slightly different.

They are both lovely but I do prefer the Princess Grill because of the spiral staircase, more comfortable chairs, and no smoking.

I think most people agree, since they generally assign the Princess Grill to the P1 grade cabins and the Britannia Grill to the slightly less expensive P2, P3, and P4 cabins... Though this is not "written in stone", especially since smokers in the P1 grade will want Britannia Grill for the smoking section.

The food and service should be the same in either one. I have not had the pleasure of dining in them but it should be excellent!

different.

I think most people agree, since they generally assign the Princess Grill to the P1 grade cabins and the Britannia Grill to the slightly less expensive P2, P3, and P4 cabins... Though this is not "written in stone", especially since smokers in the P1 grade will want Britannia Grill for the smoking section.

QUOTE]

No, that is not the case at all. Upon booking we are asked which is preferred.

Is the Princess Grill bar still there? It hasn't shown up on QE2 deck plans for some years - the stairs show but not the bar below.

Yes, it is still there but never shown on any deck plan provided nowadays. Maybe it its tried to keep it a little secret. Being very small and inside not everybody might even like it. Yet the bar is open to everybody and opening times are given in the daily schedule.

Regarding the differences: Personally I like the decor and colour scheme of the Britannia Grill more than those of the Princess Grill. Food and service should be identical, thus, thieftaker, you can choose by your personal preference but do not need to be disappointed if you should not get your wished assignment.

I have been on the QM2 several times and enjoyed the service and facilities.

In this case you should enjoy the service on the QE2 even more. On the other hand be prepared that the QE2 as older and classic ship does not provide all the facilities the QM2 has if they are important to you, for example only the Lido as alternative restaurant, smaller gym, no theatre like on modern ships, no planetarium.

The QE2 is more traditional in many regards from the dress code (valid in all public rooms in the evening and often at least jacekt and tie required every night) over the real wood and original paintings to the the more personal service. And the feeling of being welcomed home.

Is the Princess Grill bar still there? It hasn't shown up on QE2 deck plans for some years - the stairs show but not the bar below.

That room is now known as the Champagne Bar.

Like Carl, and others have mentioned, the opening times will be posted in the ships daily programme. (It's a treat trying to find it .... just stay on 1 deck, and follow both bulkheads .... you'll enjoy the hunt!

different.

QUOTE]

BIIIG ditto ..... always was asked when I booked "P" grade cabins

;)

The booking staff at Cunard said we had a choice and could eat in either the Princess or Britannia restaurants.

You could, although their brochures now say "Guests booking P1 and PG accommodation dine in the intimate surroundings of the art deco Princess Grill Restaurant, while guests in P2, P3 and P4 accommodation can enjoy a slice of culinary theatre in the contemporary Britannia Grill Restaurant."

Does anyone know what the difference is between them, is the food better in either of them, or do the oars get in the way as we row our way around with the other slaves?

Both restaurants are supposed to be the same, although I prefer the Princess over the Britannia. The first time we were there we asked for Princess and got it, although I don't know what grade of cabin we were in; the second was last Christmas - we were in P2 and asked for Princess but were given Britannia, we asked them to change our restaurant and they did. We're in P1s on Friday - We'll have to see where they put us. One big difference between those restaurants is that if you want to smoke you have to go in the Britannia - the Princess is all non-smoking as is the Champagne bar; the other difference is that there is lift access to the Princess, level access to the Britannia is through the Caronia - important if you find stairs and walking difficult.

I have been told the QE2 is a 'classy old ship' with a country club feel which can be a bit stuffy at times, is this the case or is it a relaxed, homely vessel?

She's not stuffy and is a classic - if you think shabby chic then you won't be far out.

The brochures make no reference to it, but it is still there and it is open again - They did close it in the mid 90s for a while, when they got rid of the Princess Grill Starboard bar and created the Crystal Bar.

Yes, it is still there but never shown on any deck plan provided nowadays. Maybe it its tried to keep it a little secret. Being very small and inside not everybody might even like it. Yet the bar is open to everybody and opening times are given in the daily schedule.

Regarding the differences: Personally I like the decor and colour scheme of the Britannia Grill more than those of the Princess Grill. Food and service should be identical, thus, thieftaker, you can choose by your personal preference but do not need to be disappointed if you should not get your wished assignment.

In this case you should enjoy the service on the QE2 even more. On the other hand be prepared that the QE2 as older and classic ship does not provide all the facilities the QM2 has if they are important to you, for example only the Lido as alternative restaurant, smaller gym, no theatre like on modern ships, no planetarium.

The QE2 is more traditional in many regards from the dress code (valid in all public rooms in the evening and often at least jacekt and tie required every night) over the real wood and original paintings to the the more personal service. And the feeling of being welcomed home.

No theatre? Have they taken it out. It was one of the more original rooms left on QE2 in 2001. Have watched many good movies in the theatre on QE2.

Jim.

No theatre? Have they taken it out. It was one of the more original rooms left on QE2 in 2001.

Fortunately, this theatre is still there and also still in its almost original decor.

Yet, and that I was referring too, the QE2 has no theatre one might be used to from modern ships like the Royal Court Theatre on the QM2.

Only for those who do not know: The comparatively small theatre on the QE2 is used e.g. as cinema, for theatre plays, lectures, masses and concerts. Evening shows take place in the grand lounge which is just that - a grand lounge.

I guess this is yet another case of Cunard handing out incorrect information then :( .

The brochures all now pretty clearly state that Princess Grill is usually for P1/PA while Britannia for P2/P3/P4.

And it's not a "homely" vessel .... she's a "homey" vessel

Now we are playing with the differences between US English and UK English.

"Homely" in UK English means "homey" in US English.

And it's not a "homely" vessel .... she's a "homey" vessel

(homely describes the 'Freakdom' ..... homey describes QE2 ... BIG difference)

:cool:

What does "homey" mean? Homely means, surely, "of home" - in other words a home from home.

Now we are playing with the differences between US English and UK English.

"Homely" in UK English means "homey" in US English.

Doug - thanks for the translation. Like others I saw this and wondered what "homey" meant:)

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Regardless of the differences between a place which in England is homely and homey on the other side of the pond sincere thanks for your informative replies.

I think I will opt for the non smoking option

(Must admit I thought a 'homey' was slang culture for a mate)!

Cheers

Dave

The brochures make no reference to it, but it is still there and it is open again - They did close it in the mid 90s for a while, when they got rid of the Princess Grill Starboard bar and created the Crystal Bar.

pnhmrk, I've seen the Champagne Bar, but never had a drink in it. Do you fancy meeting there sometime this weekend?

Colin.

pnhmrk, I've seen the Champagne Bar, but never had a drink in it. Do you fancy meeting there sometime this weekend?

Colin.

We can meet there - the problem is that it's only open pre-dinner - we'll have my parents in tow then. We tend to like the Crystal Bar or the Chart Room in the evening after dinner. I wonder if it wouldn't be better to meet up then. We're off to my parents later today before going down to Southampton - if I don't hear from you today I'll look forward to speaking to you on board.

Malcolm

Archived