Traditional 1st seating-can we go to PC if needed?

irisheileen

I originally asked the following question on a thread "live on the Island Princess" and received a warning that I'd be asked for my cruise card before entering the PC dining room.

Will we?

We are thinking that we might just miss Traditional seating in Juneau because of an excursion return time, and planned to go PC that night. We don't want to go to the buffet for dinner.

"I've jotted down the table for two that you recommend, but have you noticed a tabel for 4, 6 or 8 in the PC dining room that you would recommend? We are traveling NB with another couple in August and won't always be eating together so we have to decide to get a table for just the four of us, and sometimes one couple be alone at that table for 4 or go with the 6 or 8 and always have company!

So, what window tables look good in those categories?

What I should add is that we are actually signed up for the first seating of Traditional Dining, but may have to PC a night or two."

thanks!

I originally asked the following question on a thread "live on the Island Princess" and received a warning that I'd be asked for my cruise card before entering the PC dining room.

Will we?

We are thinking that we might just miss Traditional seating in Juneau because of an excursion return time, and planned to go PC that night. We don't want to go to the buffet for dinner.

"I've jotted down the table for two that you recommend, but have you noticed a tabel for 4, 6 or 8 in the PC dining room that you would recommend? We are traveling NB with another couple in August and won't always be eating together so we have to decide to get a table for just the four of us, and sometimes one couple be alone at that table for 4 or go with the 6 or 8 and always have company!

So, what window tables look good in those categories?

What I should add is that we are actually signed up for the first seating of Traditional Dining, but may have to PC a night or two."

thanks!

If they are really busy at the time you try to get in the PC room, then they may very well be checking your cards. It is only fair. Why should the PC's suffer when there is always a waiting list for traditional. I have seen many be sent to the buffet, that were trying to get into PC because they were too late for their Tradtional Time. Maybe you should make reservations that night at one of the specialty rest. or change to PC before you leave.

You will most likely be denied entrance to the PC dining room since you have traditional 1st seating. Those who choose PC aren't allowed to go to "traditional" because it suits their schedule one night.

Since you don't want to eat in the buffet may I suggest one of the alternative dining venues or order from room service.

If you truly want some flexibility then you should switch to PC and make a reservation for your preferred time to dine....or not and just arrive when you like and possibly have a short wait.

Will we?

We were told on The Golden that if we dined at the PC dining rooms we would lose traditional seating for the remainder of the cruise, specialty restaurants are okay; but you should let your waiter and tablemates know the night before that you will be absent.

Mike

I know it doesn't seem like too much of a problem to have a couple of passen gers go to the PC dining rooms for a night or two ----but what happens if many of the traditional diners do it ??? Sorry, but it just seems inconsiderate to the people who signed up for PC and have their waits extended, while many of the tables in traditional are less than full. You can always go to the buffet, or make that a night to reserve a more convenient time in one of the specialty restaurants.

When we were on the Island Princess May 6th cruising we were waiting to get into the PC dining room (we were signed up for PC) and there was quite a line up. A couple came to the dining room door and asked if they could be seated because they had missed their early seating traditional dinner. The Maitre'd told them that he would be able to seat them but not until about 8:30pm because there were still people who had chosen PC dining that were waiting to be seated. (Yes they do ask to see your cruise card)

It is my opinion, and my opinion only, that if you choose to sign up for traditional seating you should eat in the traditional seating dining room, at the buffet or at one of the alternative dining venues (eg. Sabatini's or Sterling Steak House or Bayou cafe.) Passengers who have signed up for PC Dining are not permitted to eat in the Traditional seating dining rooms and should not have their seating space taken up by those who signed up for traditional dining but find it inconvenient to show up at their traditional dining room table on one or two evenings.

As others have mentioned, if you chose traditional, that is what you need to stick with. You probably will be allowed into pc, but you will more than likely lose your traditional reservation. If you call for a pc reservation, they will ask for your cabin number and they will immediately know what you are signed up for. If you go directly to pc dining rooms, they will ask for your cruise card. Please go to one of the specialty restaurants, the buffet or have room service if you get back late from a tour. Or see if you can switch to late, traditional.

Alot of different answers. When we sailed the CP in Feb the ship was full. We had 1st traditional. We knew one night we would not make it so we told our waiter we would not be there on a certain night. On that night we went to the PC dinning room at 7:30 (3 of us) and we were seated right away. NO ONE looked at our card. We had NO reservation. We did it again on another night and had no problem. When asking for a set time for PC they only offer late or early. :o

Please don't crash PC and cause people to wait longer or not get their first choice reservation, we can't crash your traditional so fair's fair.

Make a choice and stick to it.

Please don't crash PC and cause people to wait longer or not get their first choice reservation, we can't crash your traditional so fair's fair.

Make a choice and stick to it.

I agree! Although they may not check cruise cards, it is still inconsiderate to use the Anytime dining room and increase the wait times for those of us who choose this option.

Alot of different answers. When we sailed the CP in Feb the ship was full. We had 1st traditional. We knew one night we would not make it so we told our waiter we would not be there on a certain night. On that night we went to the PC dinning room at 7:30 (3 of us) and we were seated right away. NO ONE looked at our card. We had NO reservation. We did it again on another night and had no problem. When asking for a set time for PC they only offer late or early. :o

Wouldn't you feel just a little badly if a line formed for PC just a few minutes after you were seated right away?? I'm sorry if you disapprove, but it just seems rude ---- even if no one checks your cruise card. Why do traditional diners feel that they can have it both ways???

Thanks for the quick responses. I can always count on cc for help! Now I know the score! I've never been on a Personal Choice ship before.

And, no, I certainly wouldn't want anyone else to be inconvenienced...it was never my intention. I've read many times over the past year, since planning my trip to Alaska, that the PC dining rooms were never full.

Thanks for the quick responses. I can always count on cc for help! Now I know the score! I've never been on a Personal Choice ship before.

And, no, I certainly wouldn't want anyone else to be inconvenienced...it was never my intention. I've read many times over the past year, since planning my trip to Alaska, that the PC dining rooms were never full.

You're a true gentleperson and I salute you.

Hey Cnybar is your avatar a Airedale or Welsh Terrier. I have 2 WTs.

jc

I know it doesn't seem like too much of a problem to have a couple of passen gers go to the PC dining rooms for a night or two ----but what happens if many of the traditional diners do it ??? Sorry, but it just seems inconsiderate to the people who signed up for PC and have their waits extended, while many of the tables in traditional are less than full. You can always go to the buffet, or make that a night to reserve a more convenient time in one of the specialty restaurants.

We were told by our waiter on the Island Princess that we would lose our seating at the Traditional seating if we went to the PC dining. It makes sense that is would definitley be a large inconvenience if a lot of people decided to do that on a specific night. We just took in one of the specialty restaurants and enjoyed that experience. The polite thing to do is make sure you let your waiter and tablemates know that you will not be at Traditional dining so no ones is waiting for you.

When we had that problem coming back too late to be seated at early and we knew we would we asked the MartiDi the night before if we could come to the late seating for that one night and it was no problem. You might end up at a big table or a private table but that would be better than crashing the PC lines. Also making reservations that night for one of the fancy dinings sounds good too.

That's a good idea to check with the Maitre'd about going to late seating. On our last cruises we took late seating and there were empty seats/tables. On some cruises the 1 seating is in demand and if they don't get it they stay with PC. So there may be many seats avail. in 2nd seating.

I think confusion/switching between traditional and anytime dining causes problems for both dining rooms. It was really the only complaint I had on my Grand Princess cruise in March. The information below is taken from the review I wrote after our cruise:

Here I am, back on dinner again! Have you ever sat by yourselves at a table for 8? We have, and it’s awkward. We weren’t the only ones who found ourselves in that situation in the “completely full” traditional dining room. There were actually entire tables that weren’t used all week, and other large tables where only one couple showed up for dinner during the cruise. We ended up joining forces with another CC member we met on an excursion and sitting together. Finally on Wednesday another couple came to the table. The newcomers were first time cruisers and they had been busy, so they were just eating in the buffet or one of the other dining rooms.

I think this is a problem that Princess could correct with better communication and more detailed explanations of the dining options. Perhaps they need to implement a policy that if you don’t show up after two nights or you eat in one of the anytime dining rooms, you will have to give up your spot in traditional. It seems like there are always huge waiting lists for traditional dining, but this was our second cruise in a row where the traditional dining room has been AT MOST three quarters full. There were complete tables that were empty for the entire week. No one checked cruise cards for the anytime dining rooms, so many people with traditional ate there if they didn’t feel like eating in the traditional dining room at their set time. This affects both traditional diners by creating lots of empty places in the dining room, and affects anytime diners by creating longer waits for tables. I know the dining system isn’t set up to have passengers switching back and forth. If there isn’t anyone monitoring a system, it can break. Like I said, I think this could be easily fixed with very little effort. I know anytime dining is an excellent choice for many people, and traditional works for others, but you can’t have it both ways. I just think if you choose traditional, that is what you should do – not switch back and forth. O.K. – End of rant. We will now return to our regularly scheduled cruise review.

We weren't the only passengers with concerns about dining arrangements and policies. We had an opportunity to discuss it with the Cruise Director at a "Meet & Mingle" on Friday, and he agreed the system needs to be tweaked to avoid the problems with the dining system.

Hey Cnybar is your avatar a Airedale or Welsh Terrier. I have 2 WTs.

jc

Yes, that's our Airedale, Molly. I'm not sure how she'd feel about being my CC avatar, though, since she never gets to go on our cruises.....

If we can't make it to the traditional dining, we just go to the buffet that night (on our last cruise, our little one was feeling iffy so at the last minute, we ate at the Horizon instead of the d.r.). Many of the items available in the dining room are also in the Horizon. It's just fair, rather than crashing the anytime dining room. I like having the choice to select my "personal choice" and for my family that's traditional dining, and not anytime. I would hate Princess just to change to freestyle-like dining.

to xpc.....

You have two WT's???? Lucky you. I was raised hand in paw with our WT......she arrived just two weeks before I did. My mom was one of the well-known breeders in the pacific northwest, but I can remember trucking on down to the train station to ship a puppy to who knows where.....I always cried that the poor babies had to go off on the train alone. When our Siberian finally is not with us, and she is 15, I think I would love to find a WT.

Archived