Traditional 1st seating-can we go to PC if needed?

irisheileen

I think this is a problem that Princess could correct with better communication and more detailed explanations of the dining options. Perhaps they need to implement a policy that if you don’t show up after two nights or you eat in one of the anytime dining rooms, you will have to give up your spot in traditional. It seems like there are always huge waiting lists for traditional dining, but this was our second cruise in a row where the traditional dining room has been AT MOST three quarters full. There were complete tables that were empty for the entire week. No one checked cruise cards for the anytime dining rooms, so many people with traditional ate there if they didn’t feel like eating in the traditional dining room at their set time. This affects both traditional diners by creating lots of empty places in the dining room, and affects anytime diners by creating longer waits for tables. I know the dining system isn’t set up to have passengers switching back and forth. If there isn’t anyone monitoring a system, it can break. Like I said, I think this could be easily fixed with very little effort. I know anytime dining is an excellent choice for many people, and traditional works for others, but you can’t have it both ways. I just think if you choose traditional, that is what you should do – not switch back and forth. O.K. – End of rant.

EXCELLENT Reply and Comment! Really is a problem Princess needs to address!

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Please don't crash PC and cause people to wait longer or not get their first choice reservation, we can't crash your traditional so fair's fair.

Make a choice and stick to it.

And the other side of the coin is that people are waitlisted for Traditional Dining – if people who have a spot in Traditional go to Anytime Dining, then those who are waiting are doing so in vain.

How about a restaurant in Juneau after the tour? The Hangar comes to mind – casual yet very delicious...there are a number of others. Or – one night in Horizon Court – it won’t be that bad.

A resturant in Juneau? What!!! When I've got a meal already paid for somewhere on that ship? What a waste!
we often grab at least a bite to eat when we are on shore...one of the things we love about travel is the chance to sample local cuisine, especially in exotic ports (or in New England, where such wonderful seafood is readily available). Still seem to eat our money's worth on board as well, unfortunately:D !

I think confusion/switching between traditional and anytime dining causes problems for both dining rooms. It was really the only complaint I had on my Grand Princess cruise in March. The information below is taken from the review I wrote after our cruise:

Here I am, back on dinner again! Have you ever sat by yourselves at a table for 8? We have, and it’s awkward. We weren’t the only ones who found ourselves in that situation in the “completely full” traditional dining room. There were actually entire tables that weren’t used all week, and other large tables where only one couple showed up for dinner during the cruise. We ended up joining forces with another CC member we met on an excursion and sitting together. Finally on Wednesday another couple came to the table. The newcomers were first time cruisers and they had been busy, so they were just eating in the buffet or one of the other dining rooms.

I think this is a problem that Princess could correct with better communication and more detailed explanations of the dining options. Perhaps they need to implement a policy that if you don’t show up after two nights or you eat in one of the anytime dining rooms, you will have to give up your spot in traditional. It seems like there are always huge waiting lists for traditional dining, but this was our second cruise in a row where the traditional dining room has been AT MOST three quarters full. There were complete tables that were empty for the entire week. No one checked cruise cards for the anytime dining rooms, so many people with traditional ate there if they didn’t feel like eating in the traditional dining room at their set time. This affects both traditional diners by creating lots of empty places in the dining room, and affects anytime diners by creating longer waits for tables. I know the dining system isn’t set up to have passengers switching back and forth. If there isn’t anyone monitoring a system, it can break. Like I said, I think this could be easily fixed with very little effort. I know anytime dining is an excellent choice for many people, and traditional works for others, but you can’t have it both ways. I just think if you choose traditional, that is what you should do – not switch back and forth. O.K. – End of rant. We will now return to our regularly scheduled cruise review.

We weren't the only passengers with concerns about dining arrangements and policies. We had an opportunity to discuss it with the Cruise Director at a "Meet & Mingle" on Friday, and he agreed the system needs to be tweaked to avoid the problems with the dining system.

Cindy,

I think this is my main objection to being waitlisted for traditional dining. They do not check on the empty seats and get back to the waitlisted passengers. Considering there is only one traditional dining room and 2 PC dining rooms, it is very unfair that waitlisted passengers are forced into PC dining when there are available tables. Unless you keeping checking every night, these tables will continue to go empty and you will come away frustrated and hating Princess for denying you your choice of dining options.

I am on vacation and I look forward to having the same table, same wait staff and being with the same people every night. That is why I choose traditional dining and not PC. If I wanted PC dining I would go to a land resort and not pay all the extra money for a cruise.

By catering to first time cruisers who do not understand what the "cruise experience is", Princess is going to lose repeat passengers. They are NOT NCL and freestyle. If Princess decides to go the freestyle route entirely they will lose a lot of passengers in the NY market to their competitors who still offer traditional dining and offer cruises at lower prices. For what Princess is charging NYers, they at least should accommodate their repeat passengers who ask for traditional dining. Otherwise, why bother with Platinum status or higher if you cannot get the dining choice you want?

Princess needs to enforce the tradtional dining choice better. If there are empty seats, fill them right away the first night they are empty with waitlisted passengers. Don't continue to let them remain empty causing lines in the PC rooms.

Breakfast and lunch are open seating. Only dinner offers you the option of traditional vs. PC. BUT FOOD AND DINING MAKE UP A MAJOR PART OF A CRUISE AND CAN MAKE OR BREAK YOUR TOTAL EXPERIENCE ON A SHIP AND WITH A CRUISE LINE.

MARAPRINCE

I can clearly see the point of view of people who fear they might have a longer wait for PC dining if TD passengers go there but if a cruise tour arrives back too late for passengers to make 1st sitting I think it is fair that they go to PC for their meal. I, personally, do not like the buffet and object to having to pay extra in the other restaurants. If 2nd seating had space that would solve the problem but if not I think PC should be given to people in this situation as an alternative. Perhaps a card could be given to late returning passengers allowing use of PC on that evening only?

I can clearly see the point of view of people who fear they might have a longer wait for PC dining if TD passengers go there but if a cruise tour arrives back too late for passengers to make 1st sitting I think it is fair that they go to PC for their meal. I, personally, do not like the buffet and object to having to pay extra in the other restaurants. If 2nd seating had space that would solve the problem but if not I think PC should be given to people in this situation as an alternative. Perhaps a card could be given to late returning passengers allowing use of PC on that evening only?

What? There are very few perks for being on PC. We make a choice. Then, we should live with it.

Go to the buffet. It is no different than when you are on a tour and don't get into the diningroom for lunch.

You can always eat late and eat in PC if the maitre'd will accomodate you when there is no crowd. Why should others suffer at your expense. If you don't want to miss eating in the diningroom, Take Anytime or don't go on that tour.

As I previously said "I do not like the Buffet" :( I dislike having to try to manipulate a tray, cutlery and put food on the plate. usually by the time you get the food you wish to the table it is luke warm. If you want more than one course you then have to join the queue again. No, the buffet is not for me.

I think this is my main objection to being waitlisted for traditional dining. They do not check on the empty seats and get back to the waitlisted passengers. Considering there is only one traditional dining room and 2 PC dining rooms, it is very unfair that waitlisted passengers are forced into PC dining when there are available tables. Unless you keeping checking every night, these tables will continue to go empty and you will come away frustrated and hating Princess for denying you your choice of dining options.

They do check. It takes a couple of nights depending on the cruise, but they do start releasing Traditional seats if people don’t show up for them. Whether or not they check with the people who have the seats I don’t know, but I know people who have been waitlisted and contacted a day or two into the cruise to be let known there were seats available in Traditional.

I find it difficult to believe that traditional diners are going to the anytime dining rooms in such numbers as to create long lines in those rooms and are casusing long lines at anytime dining rooms. If I am wrong and that is happening, Princess could quickly and easily remedy it by checking seapass cards and explaining to traditional diners that they requested the traditional dining room and must adhere to the rules.

On one Princess cruise, we actually saw just the opposite, couples arriving at the traditional dining room well after dinner had begun and looking to be seated. It was painfully obvious that they were anytime diners who couldn't differentiate between the two dining rooms or didn't understand the procedure. The sad thing was that some of them continued to do so as late as the next to last night of an 11 night cruise.:(

Archived